No announcement yet.

Unread Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both Frankenstein and Dracula I read in my teens.
    I found both rather dry and dull.
    I think I expected more blood-and-guts.

sk

Comment

Frankenstein was one of my school assignments back in the day and I did enjoy the book. I think my teacher may have had something to do with that. Their enthusiasm for the material seemed to have rubbed off on me and I looked forward to the class discussions we did for the book. The same thing could be said for Macbeth, which we read that year. He was a good teacher.

Comment

I quite enjoyed Dracula, and i loved the other wordly feel of the language used, i mean it was written well over 100 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by goathunter View Post
          I tried to read Frankenstein three or four times and never could do it. I've resigned myself to never reading it.

Hunter
          Same here. Have started it a number of times but just got too bogged down and could not get pass the first 30 pages or so. It is definitely one I will try to revisit. I found Drood hard going but struggled through. Not too sure why as didn't really get much from the story. One classic I have not read is Jeckyl and Hyde. One I keep meaning to get to.

Comment

Jeckly and Hyde is a good shout, another one i would like to read too!

Comment

I've read Dracula a couple of times (one of which was an annotated edition, which was really interesting) and enjoyed it both times. I also read and loved several H.G. Wells novels, including The Invisible Man, The Time Machine, and The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Hunter

Comment

I've read Dracula several times and one of the protections against the movement of a vampire that's mentioned in that book is that a vampire can't cross certain bodies of water (which is where being able to turn into a bat comes in handy.) Edward Lee's Brides of the Impaler hinted at it, but didn't pursue it. Does anybody know of any novels where this aspect of the vampire is prominent or explored?

And I've never read I am Legend. (for thread subject integrity.)
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                  Does anybody know of any novels where this aspect of the vampire is prominent or explored?
                  I'll try to throw this under a spoiler tag in case it is thought of as a plot point but one story that uses the water aspect is...

Spoiler!

Comment

One classic I have not read yet is IT. I will have a chance once I get the 25th Anniversary Special Edition from CD though. What better excuse is there to start reading a King classic? Really looking forward to IT (pun intended).

Comment

Originally posted by thelion View Post
                      One classic I have not read yet is IT. I will have a chance once I get the 25th Anniversary Special Edition from CD though. What better excuse is there to start reading a King classic? Really looking forward to IT (pun intended).
                      Outstanding! one of my pet peeves is people who use the phrase "pun not intended". The pun may be the lowest form of humor, but it's humor, so claim it. If you knew it was a pun that you didn't intend, don't use it.

"Pun not intended" is right below people who don't use turn singals when driving on my list...
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Outstanding! one of my pet peeves is people who use the phrase "pun not intended". The pun may be the lowest form of humor, but it's humor, so claim it. If you knew it was a pun that you didn't intend, don't use it.

"Pun not intended" is right below people who don't use turn singals when driving on my list...
                        LOL. I'll definitely claim it. The lowest form of humor is right at my level... :-P

Comment

And I've never read I am Legend. (for thread subject integrity.)
                          Same here, although I plan too. I loved the movie, both endings were good in my opinion. Not too long ago I got through a collection of short stories by Matheson so if see a nice copy of I Am Legend anywhere I'll pick it up. My local bookstore only had the movie tie in version and from the looks of it, it was a book just waiting to fall apart, put together fast just to sell some copies while the movie was still popular.

Comment

It took me a few times to start IT, i don't know what it was but i just couldn't get into the book but once i had persevered i was sooo glad that i did!

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                              It took me a few times to start IT, i don't know what it was but i just couldn't get into the book but once i had persevered i was sooo glad that i did!
                              Just re-read it recently, great book!

P.S. - go post your collection already! I need something to drool over at work!

Comment

Haha i would do but i'm waiting for the internet to be installed in my new home which will happen on thursday because i use my phone camera to take pics and thats installed on my labtop :/

Comment

Working...
                                X