Horror boom 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horror boom 80s

hi, I'm Francisco from Spain, I'm new here and I hope you excuse my poor English!!! I have been an avid reader of horror, specially the modern one, since discovering Stephen King in 1990. I'm really curious about the horror fiction boom of the 80's. If you are veterans, how do you lived it? It was as good as they said? What are some of your favourites authors from the decade? Even in Spain there was a mini boom with lots of translations of modern horror authors by Publisher Martínez Roca. Sadly since the 90s we have seen almost only classic horror published in Spain.

Thanks in advance and Greetings from Spain!!!

Welcome Francisco!! If you are looking for more classic horror, look up Robert R McCammon!!

Comment

Welcome to the site. I didn't start reading horror, other than Stephen King, until the 1990s. To this day I am still discovering authors from the 1970s and 1980s that had written some great books.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
        Welcome Francisco!! If you are looking for more classic horror, look up Robert R McCammon!!
        I second this! McCammon is my all-time favorite author. If you are looking for horror I recommend these books of his:

They Thirst
        Usher's Passing
        Swan Song
        Stinger
        The Wolf's Hour

Welcome to the forum! Your English is just fine. :-)

Comment

Welcome! I completely agree with the McCammon recommendation THE WOLF'S HOUR was my favorite. I'd add:
          Clive Barker (BOOKS OF BLOOD, DAMNATION GAME, HELLBOUND HEART)
          Brian Lumley (the NECROSCOPE series--in particular the first five books)
          Jack Ketchum (OFF SEASON, OFFSRPING, THE GIRL NEXT DOOR)

Comment

You need this book!

https://www.amazon.com/Paperbacks-He...acks+from+hell

I used to buy every horror novel I could get my hands on back then.

One classic '80s set is the Rats trilogy, by James Herbert.

Comment

Welcome Francisco. I completely with Dave1442397, Paperbacks From Hell would be a great reference to direct you to what you are looking for.

Some authors not yet mentioned:
              Richard Laymon
              Bentley Little
              Simon Clark
              Ed Lee

Comment

hey, thanks for all your answers!!! it seems that McCammon is a favourite here, fortunately a lot of his books were translated to Spanish being my favourites Usher's passing, the not usually mentioned Mine and the collection of short stories Blue world. I'm very interested in Stinger and They thirst, by the way what about Bethany's sin? is a worth Reading or is it best the cover by Rowena Merrill?

Ben Staad
                To this day I am still discovering authors from the 1970s and 1980s that had written some great books.
                Just like me, I'm Reading for the Halloween season Tales from the nightside by Charles L Grant and The dark country by Dennis Etchison

The rats by James Herbert (I have read first and second books) are an excellent Reading

Comment

Another one is Ray Garton. A true master of 80's horror fiction. And one of my favorite writers.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                    Another one is Ray Garton. A true master of 80's horror fiction. And one of my favorite writers.
                    Good catch, can't believe I didn't mention him!

Comment

I read Crucifax autumn years ago and I remeber it very interesting, can you suggest me some titles by Ray Garton?

Comment

Working...
                      X