The Horror Drive-In Forums closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Horror Drive-In Forums closed

As per title Mark Sieber has finally closed the horror drive-in forums. Was this the last of its kind? Most of the old forums dedicated to horror fiction died out long ago.
    The only online forums that I check out semi regularly are CD's and thedarktower.org
    Anyone use any others?

Was there an announcement I missed? I see it’s down today, but I figured it was just technical problems...

EDIT: Never mind, I found the announcement on the Home page. That’s really unfortunate, but not surprising, given Mark’s repeated threat to do so over the last few years. Still, sorry to see it go, and especially so abruptly...a little warning to longtime members like myself and others to give us a chance to say goodbye, reminisce a bit, would have been nice and appreciated. Oh well, that’s moot now. RIP, HD-I, it was fun while it lasted.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 07-04-2018, 09:33 PM.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I'm surprised to hear that you weren't informed, Ron.....Were you still moderating?
      As you said, a little notice would have been appreciated....I'm scrambling to send messages to some members to try to get their e-mail addresses so we can stay in touch.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
        As per title Mark Sieber has finally closed the horror drive-in forums. Was this the last of its kind? Most of the old forums dedicated to horror fiction died out long ago.
        The only online forums that I check out semi regularly are CD's and thedarktower.org
        Anyone use any others?
        I know of two others:

Nocturnal Reader's Box (http://nrbdiscussionboard.forumotion.com/) but there hasn't been activity there for a few months and it seems that it never really took off.

Thunderstorm Books Clubhouse (http://thunderstormbooks.com/thunderstorm/members-only/) but that requires membership and a vetting process that includes a list of victims and murder scene photos that can be matched to current unsolved crimes (I'm assuming).

Comment

Generally speaking forums and message boards are going the way of the dodo in favor of newer social media replacements like Facebook groups and Reddit. Personally I never really liked the idea of relying on a 3rd party for that sort of stuff, but I understand why the people who use those things find them preferable. That said some days I definitely prefer reddit to vBulletin, though I can't really say the same for Facebook.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I am a refugee from HD-1. The members were kind of shocked that it ended so abruptly, but it is what it is. I've gotten to know people on messageboards and forums so I'm kind of partial to them. Not a fan of Fbook and never tried Reddit. I'll just sit over here...all quiet like.
            Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
              I am a refugee from HD-1. The members were kind of shocked that it ended so abruptly, but it is what it is. I've gotten to know people on messageboards and forums so I'm kind of partial to them. Not a fan of Fbook and never tried Reddit. I'll just sit over here...all quiet like.
              Good to see you here, nj.

Like you, I don't do Reddit (not even, honestly, quite sure what it is) and, even more, I don't have a Facebook page, so my social media footprint is pretty shallow. I throw up a picture now and then of my motorcycle on my Instagram account, but that's really all I use it for...I don't quite get why it's become the dominant social media among folks much younger than me, as I don't really see it as a good communication platform, but perhaps I'm missing something. I'm enjoying Twitter of late, having bumped up my activity there pretty significantly in the last year or so ( @ron_clinton ), but that's it...so, yeah, it was unfortunate to see the plug pulled on HD-I (and the abrupt manner in which it was done), as that's just one less outlet for those of us who keep our social media venues few and far between. But all good things come to an end, I suppose.

I'm just glad CD offers this discussion outlet for their customers/fans...nice of them to provide it, and I hope they know it's appreciated. If not, I hope, Dan H., you'll pass on my/our thanks to them...especially in the wake of the closure of HD-I, I think it's an important service they provide.
              Last edited by RonClinton; 07-06-2018, 12:13 AM.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

You actually have me to thank for the forums, as they where my idea... HA! When I first started here I noticed we where posting and answering peoples questions on both the Dark Tower board and Horror Drive-In (there may have been a third as well), and we where about to go through a website redesign so I suggested we use that opportunity to start our own forums. Activity has fluctuated over the years, but overall I'm pretty happy we did it.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

you too, Ron.

ditto!
                  Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    You actually have me to thank for the forums, as they where my idea... HA! When I first started here I noticed we where posting and answering peoples questions on both the Dark Tower board and Horror Drive-In (there may have been a third as well), and we where about to go through a website redesign so I suggested we use that opportunity to start our own forums. Activity has fluctuated over the years, but overall I'm pretty happy we did it.
                    This explains a few things.... Cap
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Woke up and saw this loose plug on the floor. Plugged it back in and ended up here.

Hi All.

Comment

Hello !

Thanks, Dan, for a place to hang.

Need me for anything I'll be in the corner with NJ watching THE YELLOW SEA.

Comment

Yes! A big thank you to Dan and the whole CD gang for giving the horror community a place to huddle and disagree about Bentley Little. I love this forum and the people here are the best.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            Yes! A big thank you to Dan and the whole CD gang for giving the horror community a place to huddle and disagree about Bentley Little. I love this forum and the people here are the best.
                            Don't know what you are talking about. We all like Bentley Little around here! Well all except that one guy, but we don't listen to him. Well except his YouTube videos, we do watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              Don't know what you are talking about. We all like Bentley Little around here! Well all except that one guy, but we don't listen to him. Well except his YouTube videos, we do watch them.
                              Just tell me what flavor kool aid I need to drink to make his stuff work for me! I swear I'll drink it. I'm having a bad run of not getting along with authors lately.

I hated DOG DAYS O' SUMMER
                              I struggled through VOICES OF THE DAMNED
                              I yawned and rolled my eyes (multitasking!) at WHAT DO MONSTERS FEAR?

I can't seem to find a new author who can blot out reality. These authors are like the Sharon Stone of the literary world. They can't seem to hold the illusion. They keep bucking me out of the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X