2017 Reading list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Reading list

It's a new year and we all have goals with our reading. What do you plan on reading this year and how many books are you planning on trying to read.

For me the goal is going to be 50 books. I read 67 this year with a super busy schedule. The coming year is going to busier. On my reading list starting with
    The Passage trilogy
    The Secret Life of Souls by Jack Ketchum and Lucky McKee
    The Library of the Dead anthology
    Quake by Richard Laymon
    Sex and Violence in Hollywood by Ray Garton
    The Border by Robert McCammon
    Plus start The five volume set The Complete Works of Philip K. Dick that Subterranean Press put out

Great thread!

I want to try and read all the King/Bachman I haven't yet.

The Dead Zone
    Firestarter
    Christine
    The Stand '78
    The Library Policeman
    The Sun Dog
    Apt Pupil
    Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
    The Body
    Roadwork
    The Running Man
    Various short stories

I also need to read Header 2 and 3 by Ed Lee

So much more but as my eyesight gets worse, I'm not setting too lofty of goals just yet.
    Last edited by Tommy; 01-01-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

According to my Goodreads, I finished 86 books this year and am still reading two.

I changed jobs in August which affected my reading a little bit since I carpool now instead of take the train or bus to work, I have to read off my Kindle almost exclusively. The book light doesn't work too well crammed do to the backseat of a tiny VW.

So of my favorite reads in 2016 were:

Rereading for the first time in many years Neil Gaiman's Sandman
      Kurt Busiek's Astro City - this fell of my radar when I stopped paying attention to comics in 2007 or so.
      Leviathan Wakes
      Darker Shade of Magic
      Ed Gorman's Backshot
      Joe Hills's The Fireman
      The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
      IT - first time reading since 1992/1993
      McCammon's Matthew Corbett books - my favorite of which was Queen of Bedlam

What I hope to do in 2017:
      Read at least 52 books
      Read the Kane series from Centipede
      Finish off the Passage Trilogy (I've read The Passage)
      Read more McCammon and Lansdale that I own
      Heck, just read more of the books that I own ...

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        Read more McCammon and Lansdale
        Good plan. These two deliver in ways that 99% of other authors just can't seem to do, certainly not as consistently. Very few authors are Automatic Must Buys for me these days, but these two are both on that very short list.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I should really keep track of the books I read this year. I'm assuming I'll read my usual 300+ books for the year, but I've never kept an exact count before.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
            I should really keep track of the books I read this year. I'm assuming I'll read my usual 300+ books for the year, but I've never kept an exact count before.
            Do you have an account on Goodreads ? They have a yearly challenge and you can track your books.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Good plan. These two deliver in ways that 99% of other authors just can't seem to do, certainly not as consistently. Very few authors are Automatic Must Buys for me these days, but these two are both on that very short list.
              Agree and I would add Edward Lee and Ray Garton to the list for myself. As well as Bentley Little and John R. Little is very consistent in his writing.

Comment

300+ a year? How are you managing that? Because this skill could come in handy.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                  Do you have an account on Goodreads ? They have a yearly challenge and you can track your books.
                  I do, actually...forgot I was on there, but I did sign up at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    300+ a year? How are you managing that? Because this skill could come in handy.
                    I've always been a fast reader, and I watch very little TV.

Comment

I read just under 30 last year, though some were exceeding long. This year I'll make a mark of 25, and aim to surpass it. I'd like to read some more Peter Straub. I read Ghost Story last year and absolutely loved it. Probably my favourite read of the year. Read at least one more King book, not sure which yet. Maybe start up Earthsea by Ursula LeGuin and The Prince Bride by William Goldman. Other than that I'll tackle some more crime fiction, thinking a new Jim Thompson, then just go with the flow.

Comment

Just thought of a few more goals I might have, at least one non-fiction, one classic, one Steinbeck and one McCammon.

Comment

2016 was not a very good reading year for me. A promotion at work took a lot of my free time and I wound up with only having read 11 books this year. Things are starting to get settled in with the new position (fingers crossed; I hear that the next few months are hectic!) so I'm hoping that 2017 will be a better year.

As far as goals, I'm shooting for 36 books this year. I don't have any specific books that I plan on reading this year, but I do give myself guidelines: 9 books have to be outside of the horror genre, 9 by an author I haven't read before, and 9 anthologies or collections. It sounds really limiting but books overlap quite a bit, like if I finally get around to reading The Complete Slayers by Paul Cain it counts for each category. This just helps to make sure that I don't fall in the comfort zone of only reading books by certain authors.

If I was going to name books that I would like to get to then it would have to be: The Passage Trilogy by Justin Cronin, Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (I've been holding off for a while now; kinda hoping that CD will put out a limited...), more books by Michael Marshall Smith.

Comment

Since I've been rereading or finishing comic book series from my past, I also want to finish:

100 Bullets (forget where/when I stopped reading this series)
                            Rachel's Rising (LOVE LOVE Terry Moore and missed this when I was running)
                            Gotham Central (love Greg Rucka and this has some great word of mouth)

I like Sock Monkey's goals of types of books. Might have to try and incorporate that into this year somehow.

Comment

I did enjoy Gotham Central quite a bit, Phillips and Brubaker as a pair is unstoppable. Greg Rucka rocks too of course. Didn't quite finish it though, same goes for 100 Bullets by Azarello, read maybe 4 or 5 graphic novels.

Comment

Working...
                              X