What are you Reading this Holloween!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you Reading this Holloween!

I've just started my seasonal reading of Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October. I wish someone would do a collector’s edition of this literary tick-or-treat! I have the Easton edition, but someone could do so much more with it. I'll follow this up with Dracula, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and whatever else tickles my Halloween fancy. Oh, how could I forget, Bradbury’s Homecoming, so many treats, will there be enough Halloween!

October10042016091959.jpg
    Last edited by mhatchett; 10-04-2016, 02:05 PM.

I started up Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes and Peter Straub's Ghost Story for my October reads.

Ironically, both Zelazny's and Laymon's last book published while they were alive had nearly identical titles. Word to the wise author do not have the words Lonesome, Night and October in the title of your next new novel.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
      I started up Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes and Peter Straub's Ghost Story for my October reads.

Ironically, both Zelazny's and Laymon's last book published while they were alive had nearly identical titles. Word to the wise author do not have the words Lonesome, Night and October in the title of your next new novel.
      Those are some grat October reads! I started The Straw Men by Michael Marshall and will then move on to The Night Country by Stewart O'Nan
      Last edited by Martin; 10-05-2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post

Ghost Story is just brilliant!

Comment

Been a slow reading year for me this year. I am finishing Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (PK Dick), and then hitting Las Vegas for 3 days starting Sunday. I will be bringing a book with me to read on the plane - not sure what yet. It's a 4hr flight for me (Detroit - LV). I'd like to get into something that will captivate me, creep me out, but for some reason that is hard to find! I do have Ghost Story - but that will take me a while to get through. I'll have to really scan my bookshelves to find something good and Halloween-y. Just not sure what.....yet.

Comment

Yeah, you guys are reading some great stuff from the ones I recognize!

I just finished The Gods Themselves and loved it, so my next project might be The Foundation Trilogy. For October horror I'll probably go with A Mountain Walked.
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Just read Night of the Pumpkin man and Dawn of the Pumpkin man by Jack Beaumont. Now reading Indian summer by Rick Hautala. Then Falling leaves by Kealan Patrick Burke . Then I will be reading The Halloween Children by Brian James Freeman and Norman Prentiss. After that we will see. Before the end of the month I will also be reading Four Halloweens.

Comment

I'm reading Barker's Books of Blood right now (I'm on Vols 4-6). I'll move on to The Averoigne Chronicles by Clark Ashton Smith after that.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

^ Love Smith, might get to that book soon too.

John, you're touching on some authors and books I am really interested in reading myself. When you're done your current reading any chance of a short write up on them?

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                    Yeah, you guys are reading some great stuff from the ones I recognize!

I just finished The Gods Themselves and loved it, so my next project might be The Foundation Trilogy. For October horror I'll probably go with A Mountain Walked.
                    I have a HC of this and started it, but couldn't get into it. Put it aside to restart at a later time.

I started Douglas Preston's The Codex on the plane during our short vacation to Las Vegas, so still picking away at that.

Comment

Read the new book from Chizmar and Freeman, Dark Whispers. Thoroughly enjoyed it! And still making my way through King's TBOBD.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                        Read the new book from Chizmar and Freeman, Dark Whispers. Thoroughly enjoyed it! And still making my way through King's TBOBD.
                        Glad they hooked you up with an ARC. I am looking forward to that one, happy to hear you enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Glad they hooked you up with an ARC. I am looking forward to that one, happy to hear you enjoyed it.
                          Thanks, Martin. I'm sure you will as well.

Comment

Started The Fireman by Joe Hill.
                            Last edited by srboone; 10-20-2016, 04:58 AM.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              Started The Fireman by Joe Hill.
                              I am curious what your thoughts on it are. The reviews have been mixed but I loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X