Determining shipping costs on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining shipping costs on eBay

I'm ready to list some books on eBay. I need advice on determining auction shipping costs. Can anyone here help me? Thanks!

Steven
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

When I list items like this (or any for that matter), I just put contact seller for shipping rates. It's honest, and you just need to get the buyers location and I always use the Canada Post rate calculator (I'm sure USPS has one too), and pass that cost onto the buyer. Never had a problem with it. Domestically, rates should be pretty consistent. I would even suggest if you are in N California (as in your info box thingy), get your weight and dims, and pick Maine or Florida - and base your rate on that. It shouldn't vary I wouldn't think - Canada Post is pretty consistent nationwide (although I'm pretty close to 1/2 way between west and east coast).

Comment

Ebay can automatically calculate shipping costs. You just have to enter the weight of the package. Typically you can even generate the shipping label through eBay as well.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        Ebay can automatically calculate shipping costs. You just have to enter the weight of the package. Typically you can even generate the shipping label through eBay as well.
        I have run into problems though when it comes to shipping internationally. PayPal has a great shipping label generator too! Never really tried the eBay version. Will have to check it out.

Comment

I just charge the flat media rate between $4-$6 based on a guesstimate of the weight. I'd suggest that you also offer combining shipping as folks will be more inclined to purchase more books from ya. I love that feature myself as a buyer. Also I'd list them here first so you can avoid eBay fees and use PayPal Friends & Family if you feel the buyer is trust worthy. I have had great experiences with this over on the TDT forum especially. Both buying and selling.

Comment

I know Flat Rate is better. The USPS here has told me that before when I've mailed a package. On the eBay seller page would I list $6 for shipping? (Weighing on the chance the package may be heavier than I think).

The titles I'm selling will be:
            Nids by Ray Garton
            Parish Damned by Lee Thomas
            From the Vaults Vols One, Two, Three by Brian Lumley
            The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate by Ted Chiang

I've had no luck selling titles here except for one book where I did realize a slight profit. I sold one other book here and took a loss. Both books were Cemetery Dance titles.

Cap
            Last edited by c marvel; 06-18-2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
              I know Flat Rate is better. The USPS here has told me that before when I've mailed a package. On the eBay seller page would I list $6 for shipping? (Weighing on the chance the package may be heavier than I think).

The titles I'm selling will be:
              Nids by Ray Garton
              Parish Damned by Lee Thomas
              From the Vaults Vols One, Two, Three by Brian Lumley
              The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate by Ted Chiang

I've had no luck selling titles here except for one book where I did realize a slight profit. I sold one other book here and took a loss. Both books were Cemetery Dance titles.

Cap
              $6 isn't bad. That will cover most of the cost of if the book isn't overheavy. If someone orders more than one book from you, you'll have to adjust it according and can invoice them a final total. If you're mailing a fairly light PB, I'd even go as low as $4.

Comment

Everything is all set. One book is listed now. The others are listed early Sunday am.

Cap

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                  Everything is all set. One book is listed now. The others are listed early Sunday am.

Cap
                  Good luck!

Comment

Here is a link to the eBay auctions. I did the best I could setting these up. I've wanted to sell on eBay for a long time, but had never taken the plunge before.

Cap

http://www.ebay.com/sch/stevej148/m....p2047675.l2562

Comment

You mispelled Brian on all of eBay headings. Might want to change it so you don't lose potential sales. Good luck though.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                        I have run into problems though when it comes to shipping internationally.
                        Unless it's changed recently, eBay has a great international shipping option. You ship the package to an eBay shipping center, they ship it to the buyer and handle all the customs paperwork and whatnot. Part of the shipping charge for the buyer includes the postage to get the item to eBay's shipping center - in fact, that's the only shipping cost you as a seller will actually see, the true shipping cost is kept between eBay and the buyer.

I've found it to be the best way to open your auctions up to an international audience without having to beat your head against international shipping.

Comment

Because someone has already bid on each Brian Lumley book, I was not able to change the headers on those three books. I did put a note in each Brian Lumley auction stating the author was Brian Lumley.

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                          You mispelled Brian on all of eBay headings. Might want to change it so you don't lose potential sales. Good luck though.
                          Last edited by c marvel; 06-21-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/sch/stevej148/m....p2047675.l2562

*Bump* Auctions are ending soon. Hope there will be more bidding...

Cap

Comment

Overall I took a slight loss on my auctions. I will probably have more auctions again in a couple of weeks.

Cap

Comment

Working...
                              X