• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HorrorScribe
    replied
    Originally posted by Tree705 View Post
    I'm sure he didn't mean it that way.
    No, that wasn't my intention. For the purposes of this thread, I intended the term "true collector" to mean one who purchases limited editions in order to own and display them. Therefore, this "true collector" is but one type of person who is drawn to books, expensive or otherwise.

Long before I owned a limited edition, I considered myself to be a book collector--much to the detriment of my extremely limited storage space. For example, my mass market paperback edition of SK's Misery--which includes the romance novel mock-up cover and that I found for about $1 or so at a local used book store--is just as special to me as my $40 signed limited edition of Douglas Clegg's The Abandoned. In fact, I still consider myself to be a book collector even though I tend to purchase the least expensive version of a book whenever possible.

Leave a comment:

• Tree705
    replied
    Originally posted by pixie View Post
    I want to disagree with the statement of "for true collectors" I don't own any limited editions or lettered edtions, I can't afford them. I do own lots of gift editions. Does not owning any expensive limited editons make me less of a collector than anybody else?
    I'm sure he didn't mean it that way.

Leave a comment:

• folgersnyourcup
    replied
    Originally posted by pixie View Post
    I want to disagree with the statement of "for true collectors" I don't own any limited editions or lettered edtions, I can't afford them. I do own lots of gift editions. Does not owning any expensive limited editons make me less of a collector than anybody else?
    I would say absolutely not.

Leave a comment:

• pixie
    replied
    Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
    Like a lot of you, I'm a huge fan of the limited edition. I don't necessarily think of myself as a collector (other than of the CD Signature Series) because I read every single limited edition that I purchase. However, neither do I consider myself to be a casual reader of these finely produced books. I fall somewhere between these two categories. Perhaps I'll call myself an Admirer.

With that in mind, I've recently contemplated why limited editions exist. Well, for several reasons as we all know:

1. For true collectors
    2. For horror enthusiasts
    3. To bring some awesome books back into print
    4. To create a special version of certain books that have become significant to horror over the years
    5. To generate excitement and something of value for those lucky enough to have purchased a world's first edition of a book by a big name author in the field
    6. For aesthetic purposes
    7. And, damn it, because the spectacular limited edition publishers are helping to keep these extraordinary physical treasures alive; there's nothing like holding a Ray Garton limited edition novel (for example), opening up the cover to the signature sheet, and then immersing oneself in the rich prose that follows on actual pages that the reader has to flip.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons as well. Feel free to share your thoughts and reactions. I'm eager to learn what other people think about this topic.

Leave a comment:

• RJK1981
    replied
    Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Oh Dan!!! You've forgotten the first rule of publishing: Dead customers buy no books!!
    They could make interesting story characters in the books though

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Nah asbestos isn't toxic enough. I was thinking like arsenic laced editions.....

Oh Dan!!! You've forgotten the first rule of publishing: Dead customers buy no books!!

Leave a comment:

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
    Nice! I sense incoming asbestos Cemetery Dance editions!
    Nah asbestos isn't toxic enough. I was thinking like arsenic laced editions.....

Leave a comment:

• peteOcha
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Freeman View Post
    Oddly enough, the gentleman who designed and printed and bound that edition now works for my printer of choice for Cemetery Dance, and I was just talking to him last week about some upcoming projects... it's a small world!

Brian
    Nice! I sense incoming asbestos Cemetery Dance editions!

Leave a comment:

• Brian James Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by fleggett View Post
    Interestingly, Phantasia is also the publisher that produced the infamous asbestos Firestarter.
    Oddly enough, the gentleman who designed and printed and bound that edition now works for my printer of choice for Cemetery Dance, and I was just talking to him last week about some upcoming projects... it's a small world!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• HorrorScribe
    replied
    Originally posted by Tree705 View Post
    I think I have two lettered copies of In Laymons Terms coming (maybe one of the boys can verify this) if so I'll let you have first dibs on the extra if you like. Don't know if I would do 50% off but I could let it go for less then retail.
    That is a very generous offer, Rich. However, I don't think I can go for it right now. Got a septic system to repair, two vehicles that need to be replaced before October, etc. I do sincerely appreciate the first dibs on the extra copy, though.

***He weeps a few silent tears as he hits the "Post Quick Reply" button before he can change his mind.***

Leave a comment:

• fleggett
    replied
    Because I'm not much a risk-taker when it comes to spending my money on unknown items, I tend to shy away from the CD grab bags as tempting as most of them are.
    In my case, I've purchased almost everything in which I'm interested. And those that I haven't purchased, but want, I'm pretty certain won't turn up in any grab bag, like a letter of Gideon's Sword, Legacies, or The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance. And if, by some miracle, they were in a grab bag, they'd probably be PC copies, which I don't collect.

If you don't want a grab bag, but are interested in diving into the wild and wooly world of lettered collecting, I'd wait for one of Mindy's promo codes UNLESS it's a title that's going to sell out fast, like It or Full Dark, No Stars. I'm really surprised there are letters of The Mailman left (with the 25% off code, that would bring the price down to $300).

Leave a comment:

• fleggett
    replied
    That's one helluvan offer, HorrorScribe. I'd grab that in a heartbeat, especially if Rich is willing to let it go for less than the MSRP.

Leave a comment:

• Tree705
    replied
    Because I'm not much a risk-taker when it comes to spending my money on unknown items, I tend to shy away from the CD grab bags as tempting as most of them are. Really, really tempting. So tempting that I agonize over purchasing one for several nights whenever they're announced. However, the next time a 50% off coupon code is offered, I'll do some serious lettered edition searching on the CD site and perhaps finally take the plunge. How refreshing and cathartic that will be!
    I think I have two lettered copies of In Laymons Terms coming (maybe one of the boys can verify this) if so I'll let you have first dibs on the extra if you like. Don't know if I would do 50% off but I could let it go for less then retail.

Leave a comment:

• HorrorScribe
    replied
    Originally posted by fleggett View Post
    Regarding CD's lettered editions, I've never bought a grab bag, but you're right, they do sometimes throw in letters with those. However, you might wind-up with something for which you don't particularly care.
    Because I'm not much a risk-taker when it comes to spending my money on unknown items, I tend to shy away from the CD grab bags as tempting as most of them are. Really, really tempting. So tempting that I agonize over purchasing one for several nights whenever they're announced. However, the next time a 50% off coupon code is offered, I'll do some serious lettered edition searching on the CD site and perhaps finally take the plunge. How refreshing and cathartic that will be!

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied
    Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    Ah, yes, the asbestos Firestarter. Although I love limited King editions, that one has never been too high on my list. Can't really explain why not.

sk
    Maybe it's because that whole asbestos/cancer connection is such a turn off!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X