An Retro Gamers on here????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Retro Gamers on here????

Of course there is (at least probably...).

Well check this out!!! My dreams are slowly coming true. I owned an original one 'back in the day'.

http://www.coleco.vision/colecovision.html

I so need to grab one of these.

HA! I loved Colecovision back in the day! But retro gaming for me is text RPGs (graphics ruined them IMO.)
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Never got into those for some reason, but I vaguely remember playing one of some kind. Is that when you'd type in "turn left", "use key", etc???

Comment

Used to have a huge collection of retro games, mostly RPGs, starting from Atari and Intellivision upto PS3, sold 90% of it last year for a decent chunk of cash. Kept a few killer games though, can't part with my Contra games and flying/shooter games.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
          Never got into those for some reason, but I vaguely remember playing one of some kind. Is that when you'd type in "turn left", "use key", etc???
          Yeah. But it was all text--like a choose your own adventure book. It wasn't about gaining levels (that came later), but about finding items to get out of situations. There was a great set of shareware games called Eamon Adventures that had a starter disk where you could create your own adventures and share them with other gamers. I created a multi-disc (floppy disc) game called the Slags of Khaulg about an adventurer escaping from a mountain prison and inadvertently aiding someone trying to stop an undead sorcerer named Khaulg from enslaving human and demihuman kind.

It was pretty cool (at least I thought so...)
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

^I remember playing a few of those games as a kid. Was more into the next level if RPG evolution, more NES and later RPGs.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
              Yeah. But it was all text--like a choose your own adventure book. It wasn't about gaining levels (that came later), but about finding items to get out of situations. There was a great set of shareware games called Eamon Adventures that had a starter disk where you could create your own adventures and share them with other gamers. I created a multi-disc (floppy disc) game called the Slags of Khaulg about an adventurer escaping from a mountain prison and inadvertently aiding someone trying to stop an undead sorcerer named Khaulg from enslaving human and demihuman kind.

It was pretty cool (at least I thought so...)
              Wow! The good ol' Ian Livingston Fighting Fantasy books. Loved those!!!! City of Thieves, Forest of Doom....

Comment

I have an intellevision that we break out a few times a year. D&D is probably the most played game everytime. I've been thinking about buying a NES to play up some Mario, Tecmo Bowl, Zelda, or Mike Tysons Punchout.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

^^Loved that D&D game, and it's sequel Treasures of Tarmin.

Comment

For me..... one of my favourite game series were the Winter Games or Summer Games...I think one was called World Games????? Olympic type events. No current generation gaming system has come close to making a "modern" game that is as much fun as those were, despite the lack of high end graphics, etc.

Comment

^Those were great.

Was down at a buddy's last night, playing some old games. Pulled out Road Rash 2 for the Sega Genesis and Thundercade for the NES.

Comment

I love Atari 2600, Coleco, etc.

I immediately purchased Atari Flashback 5, the Intellivision Flashback, and the Coleco Flashback. Too bad the latter didn't have Donkey Kong.

On the Coleco flashback, Montezuma's Revenge is great. Played that a lot on my Atari 800XL, which I still have, but I need to get a power adapter for it.

Love those early video/computer games. For those who know: I loved Antic magazine (still do) and the old Casten games like Biffdrop.

Great to hear everyone's stories here. For me, I love Activision's H.E.R.O, Private Eye, and some others. Am looking to get a copy of Fishing Derby at some point. Am now trying to recollect stuff I stupidly sold or gave away (like Fishing Derby). Am a big fan of the game designers too, like Crane and Kitchen. I actually wish they would re-release the old consoles and re-release the old games in their original boxes, with the original catalogs, etc. Collectors would love it. And I would imagine movie studios could use them to market their films in a unique way. Imagine the next Star Wars film adapted for Atari 2600? Hey, E.T. and Raiders were on the system (and E.T. isn't that bad, don't listen!). If they released a retro-version of the next Star Wars for the YouTube generation that is fascinated by the old games (such as what you see with the Angry Game Nerd), it might help to bring attention to the film.

And why stop there? Avengers for NES, Saw for Genesis, Breaking Bad for Intellivision....I would imagine it would cost very little to make these games. I guess what I'm saying is I want to go back and do it all over, like that video on YouTube with the old 80s arcade images in it. And, man, I wish they would re-release Kitchen's Game Maker, or whatever it was called. And bring back Amiga!

Great subject. Have fun with Coleco (definitely do Montezuma)...

Comment

Working...
                        X