Cemetery Dance The Magazine -- Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cemetery Dance The Magazine -- Thoughts

I was reading that business article (which was in Inc, I think?) about the Cemetery Dance company and came away impressed. It is amazing what this publishing concern has become.

One thing mentioned is the issue of the magazine itself. If Chizmar were to cash out, the print periodical would probably be discontinued, according to the piece. This got me thinking.

Primarily, it's expensive to print a magazine in this day and age. The Internet is killing physical media. Therefore, costs must be cut, and only the most value-adding elements must be conserved. I was wondering if consideration was ever given to the idea of perhaps cutting all the non-fiction columns and just focusing on short stories, and maybe a comic, from celebrity talent, maybe even celebrities you would never guess would appear in the magazine? What if, for example, Neil Peart wrote a story? Or Jim Parsons from "The Big Bang Theory?" Or Penn Jillette? I'm just throwing out names, but my point is, perhaps there are some really well-known names that could be published that might be surprising and that might not be strong enough in terms of brand equity to make it in the big markets (e.g., "New Yorker"). Screenwriters could be offered spots, as well. The fan base of those respective brand names could then bring a fresh readership to the publication. Besides those types of writers, obviously a focus on the Kings and the Littles could be retained. So, a few short stories per issue, maybe a comic, no other columns. Page count reduced, unique product produced, readership hopefully goes up.

What about finding new talent? Simple: use the website to fill in that blank.

Opinions?

I'm not really involved with the magazine itself, other than turning it into an eBook once it's done. But removing the non-fiction seems counter productive to me. As if it was all short stories then it would just be a anthology and might as well just be a book. Personally I think the non-fiction is what makes it.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Working...
    X