Best Vampire novels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Here's a good guide to all her books on her own website - http://www.poppyzbrite.com/biblio-books.html
    She lives as a He now and my favorite of his, though not a vampire story, is Exquisite Corpse

Comment

I'm quite fond of Enter, Night by Michael Rowe.

Comment

I can't think past 'I Am Legend' but really do need to read 'An Interview With A Vampire' because the film is one of my favourites!

Comment

Live girls is on my list to read this year. I love Ray Garton' s work.
          Originally posted by marduk View Post
          I loved Ray Garton's "Live Girls" and "Night Life."

I like Poppy Z. Brite's stuff.

I want to love Anne Rice, but it's only like. I think she has some great stories, but for my tastes they tend to drag on a bit and be way too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
            She lives as a He now and my favorite of his, though not a vampire story, is Exquisite Corpse
            Thanks guys. I had read a story of his in Book of the Dead 2 that was unsettling, otherworldly and unique. It made me want to explores his work further. Brite's writing style on the one story actually reminded me of W.H. Pugmire another weird horror writer I enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
              I'm quite fond of Enter, Night by Michael Rowe.
              I've been meaning to check that one out. Glad to hear it's good.

And welcome to the forum, Slayn666!

Comment

I'm a little ofaVampires. They're almost going the way of Dragons and Unicorns. Way over exposed. Just my opinion. However, I did find Charlie Huston's take on bloodsuckers interesting and entertaining. The first book in the series is called Already Dead.
                "First book in series) From the Battery to the Bronx, Manhattan is crawling with Vampyres. Joe Pitt is one of them, and he's not happy about it. Yeah, he gets to be tough as nails and hard to kill. But spending his nights trying to score a pint of blood to feed the Vyrus that's eating at him isn't his idea of a good time. Now some fool who got himself infected with a flesh-eating bacteria is lurching around, trying to munch on folks' brains. Joe hates shamblers, but he's still the one who has to deal with them. It ain't easy going his own way, refusing to ally with the Clans that run the undead underside of Manhattan. But it's worse once he gets mixed up with the Coalition and finds himself searching for a little rich girl who's gone missing. Now anarchist Vampyres are pushing him around, a crazy cult is stalking him, and Joe's got to find that girl and kill that shambler before the sun comes up.."
                Five books in the Joe Pitt series, the last written in 2009. Short, fast, entertaining reads, unlike some Vampire stories that just seem boringly immortal.
                Last edited by mhatchett; 01-22-2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Very cool, thanks for the synopsis and review. I agree that the market is oversaturated with vampires, really zombies too, it doesn't mean I like them any less it just means I have more crap to wade through, and that's why I make posts here!

Also didn't realize we had an over saturation of unicorns. Frickin things running rampant, it's hunting season.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    I've been meaning to check that one out. Glad to hear it's good.

And welcome to the forum, Slayn666!
                    Thanks!

There's a vampire novel written by Stephen Brust that is quite good, but I'm hesitant to actually name it as knowing it's a vampire novel going in spoils a lot of the suspense.

For those interested it's
                    Spoiler!

Comment

Oh, I forgot: Vampire Wars - The Von Carstein trilogy by Steven Savile (Warhammer. Can't go wrong with Warhammer books, imo, whether vampires, brigands, knights, ogres, or space men)

Comment

Hi Dave. In my opinion, your list includes all the genuine greats--nearly impossible to top. I was the first (back in my years with THE HORROR SHOW) to interview Poppy Z. Brite, and we became friends. My best memories are those of visiting her and then-husband Chris DeBarr--a superb chef--in New Orleans, before hurricanes kicked the shit (but never the soul) out of N.O. I think George Romero once (maybe more than once) mentioned Matheson's I AM LEGEND having a big influence on NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. And the Lindqvist is fantastic work too.

Comment

Originally posted by William J. Grabowski View Post
                          Hi Dave. In my opinion, your list includes all the genuine greats--nearly impossible to top. I was the first (back in my years with THE HORROR SHOW) to interview Poppy Z. Brite, and we became friends. My best memories are those of visiting her and then-husband Chris DeBarr--a superb chef--in New Orleans, before hurricanes kicked the shit (but never the soul) out of N.O. I think George Romero once (maybe more than once) mentioned Matheson's I AM LEGEND having a big influence on NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. And the Lindqvist is fantastic work too.
                          Thanks William! I found my older Poppy Z. Brite books while I was rearranging some bookshelves last week. I must have borrowed her later works from the library, as I don't seem to have them here. I must have liked Exquisite Corpse enough to have bought it twice over the years.

P1070986.jpg

Comment

Very nice editions, Dave. Hang on to them.

Comment

Originally posted by William J. Grabowski View Post
                              I think it's pretty obvious that Romero and Russo had some influence from I Am Legend and it's first film adaptation, Last Man On Earth.

Comment

Theli: I agree. I picked up a great DVD collection with the Vincent Price version, as well as the original (masterful, despite its quirks) CARNIVAL OF SOULS, MARTIN, and others.

Comment

Working...
                                X