World's Biggest Bookstore to close....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World's Biggest Bookstore to close....

I had posted a thread about this store earlier, but now it's closing....

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/worlds-bigg...103346502.html

"I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Hate to see that. I hate to think about the Portland area without Powell's World of Books.

Comment

Owned and operated by Chapters/Indigo. They likely sold to help with their financials. I wouldn't treat this like the fall of an independent.

Comment

Originally posted by Highbury View Post
          Owned and operated by Chapters/Indigo. They likely sold to help with their financials. I wouldn't treat this like the fall of an independent.
          Well I feel sorry for all the staff that have now lost their jobs because of this. A store that size would have a lot of staff.
          "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
          - Stephen King

Comment

Actually, its quite possible the company offered the staff the same job at other store locations. Obviously don't know for certain but the focus of the sale was probably for the return on the building and land.

Comment

Thats too bad. Did you at least get a chance to stop by there?

Comment

I was hoping to head to Toronto sometime this year, and check it out, but I did not end up heading up there. I was on a streak of catching one Toronto Maple Leafs game a year, however, tickets are too darn expensive to make a trip worth the 4 hr drive. My wife and I were also hoping to take our daughter on a VIA rail train (she's never been on a train, or plane, or boat even) up there too, there is lots of stuff like the Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Centre, etc.... but again, too much going on and sadly, couldn't make it there to check the place out.

I've been to Toronto hundreds of times, but never in that store. I am glad though that I was able to shop at the old Sam The Record Man's huge store before it closed down.

Comment

Working...
                X