Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2024 - How many?

Finished 4 in August.

1. Where They Wait was my second read from Scott Carson. Kind of a ghost story / tech-noir. I liked the historical ghost story aspect, but felt that the tech side of it didn’t really meld with the ghost story side. Not a bad read, but a let down after his first book, The Chill. 3.5 / 5

2. Stories for the Next Pandemic by Brian Keene. Over the years I’ve fallen out with Keene’s novels, but still think he is one of the better short story writers working. Lean and mean, this slim volume of stories written during the pandemic backs that up. 3.8 / 5

3. The Girl on the Porch by Richard Chizmar. I thoroughly enjoyed this creepy novella of suburban paranoia. Mines similar themes that Chizmar touched on in The Longest December and the last Boogeyman book. I did find the ending kind of abrupt, and was left wondering if I missed something as a reader. 4.5 / 5

4. A Bright and Beautiful Eternal World was an outstanding collection of Lovecraftian stories by James Chambers. 12 stories, all in the Lovecraftian-vein, and not a dud in the dozen. Best collection I’ve read so far this year. 4.2 / 5

B
Working...
X