Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 2024 - How many?

Finished 5 in March.

1.The Outsiders by SE Hinton. Though I’m over 30 years beyond the age of the target audience, I did enjoy this story of teen age trials and conflicts in a small Oklahoma town in the 1960’s. I remember seeing the movie around 40 years ago, and glad I’ve finally read the book. 4 / 5

2. Riding the Nightmare was another solid collection by Lisa Tuttle. There’s not really a bad story in the collection. Favorites were ‘The Mezzotint’ (a homage to MR James) and ‘The Third Person’ ( vengeful ghost story). 3.8 / 5

3. Apocalypse Scenarios by Mira Grant was another solid collection with all (most) of the stories pertaining to the end of the world. This was a collection of four novellas (all previously published as stand alones by Subterranean Press) and two short stories. I basically picked this up to read ‘Rolling in the Deep’, the prequel novella to Into the Drowning Deep. The prequel is a fun read, though it doesn’t  really add anything new to the story if you’ve read the novel. For the life of me, I can’t figure out the astronomical prices for this novella on the secondary market! All of the stories in AS are pretty good, though Grant does get rather preachy at times. Favorite story was one of the shorts, ‘Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box’, where a regular friendly get together turns deadly when the true identity of one of its members is revealed. 4 / 5

4. Devoted was the first Dean Koontz novel I’ve read in 20 years. I picked it up mainly due to comparisons with The Watchers, my favorite Koontz book.  Though any similarities are superficial, I did enjoy the first half of Devoted. It’s in the second half that the story fell apart. The last third felt completely disjointed from the previous 2/3, and the overly saccharine ending required more suspension of disbelief than I could give it. 2.5 / 5

5. The Burning Girls was a mystery set in a small English village by CJ Tudor. Over lapping a centuries old legend (the burning girl martyrs) with a recent local mystery (the disappearance of two teen age girls 30 years prior), Tudor keeps the read guessing throughout this fast paced story. I’ve liked each new Tudor book a little better than the last, and The Burning Girls is her best yet. Best book I’ve read in the first quarter of 2024. 5 / 5

B
    Starts
    04-02-2024
    Ends
    04-03-2024

I managed to pull off my one-a-day challenge, but I barely squeaked by:

Dark Ages (9)
    Miracleman Omnibus (9) (Alan Moore's legendary 1980s comic, and I finally got to read the end, which I've never been able to find a copy of before! Incredibly visionary, but also incredibly overwritten...the blocks of text made me want to quit on more than one occasion.)
    Miracleman by Gaiman & Buckingham, Book 1: The Golden Age (9)
    Hulk: Maestro by Peter David Omnibus (9)
    Maestro: World War M (8)
    Follow Me Down: A Reckless Book (10)
    The Tomb of Dracula: The Complete Collection, Volume 4 (9)
    Things Left Behind by Brian Keene & Mary SanGiovanni (8)
    I Know What I Saw: Modern-Day Encounters with Monsters of New Urban Legend and Ancient Lore (4)
    The Complete Eightball (9)
    Screams From the Dark: 29 Tales of Monsters and the Monstrous (4) (This Ellen Datlow-edited anthology is the last book by her that I will read...such a slog that it took me over a year and a half to muster up the willpower to get through it.)
    In a Lonely Place (2) (Karl Edward Wagner....just not for me. Another endurance test.)
    Monsters of the Green Mountain State: Cryptids & Legends of Vermont (8) (I absolutely love this series. Hopefully each state will get their own book.)
    The Tomb of Dracula: The Complete Collection, Volume 5 (7) (So glad that I was finally able to read the entire, legendary, TOMB OF DRACULA series in it's entirety. It was a chore, at times, but worth it overall.)
    Xerxes: The Fall of the House of Darius and the Rise of Alexander (5) (Frank Miller's head-scratching prequel?/sequel? to 300. I literally had no fucking clue what was going on at any point. Miller has lost his mind.)
    Marvel Masterworks, Vol. 244: Doctor Strange (1)
    Shudder 2024 Spooktacular! (7)
    Eight Billion Genies: Deluxe Edition (9)
    The Institute by Stephen King (9)
    The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library, Volume 15: Walt Disney’s Donald Duck: “The Ghost Sheriff of Last Gasp” (8)
    Hellboy in Hell Library Edition (9)
    Earthdivers, Vol. 1: Kill Columbus (7)
    Earthdivers, Vol. 2: Ice Age (4) (Stephen Graham Jones' overly complex "Let's go back in time and kill Columbus" epic is so convoluted and poorly-thought out that I had tapped out after the first volume. Unfortunately, I had already purchased the second volume. I'm out!)
    Klaus: The Life & Times of Santa Claus (9)
    Kamala Speaks (9) (The professional wrestler, not the Vice President.)
    Daredevil by Mark Waid Omnibus, Vol. 1 (9)
    Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak (9) (Rekulak immediately shoots onto my "Must buy!" list.)
    Groo: In the Wild (9)
    Godzilla: Dominion (7)
    The Cimmerian, Volume 1 (6)
    The Cimmerian, Volume 2 (7)
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dannyboy, I am very impressed with the sheer range of comics you read. I mean, you've got indie comics with The Complete Eightball to humor with Groo (so underrated), Disney Duck stuff (I have not read a lot of the older Disney comics, but it's amazing how good the Carl Barks and Don Rosa stuff is!), and superheroes from the 80s to now. Really impressive to see someone read in the medium so broadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        Dannyboy, I am very impressed with the sheer range of comics you read. I mean, you've got indie comics with The Complete Eightball to humor with Groo (so underrated), Disney Duck stuff (I have not read a lot of the older Disney comics, but it's amazing how good the Carl Barks and Don Rosa stuff is!), and superheroes from the 80s to now. Really impressive to see someone read in the medium so broadly.
        I appreciate you noticing, lol. I've been reading comics since I was three (Fifty years now...oy...) I love the medium, and I try to read a variety of genres. Now is probably the best time ever to be into comics, since almost everything ever published is available somewhere, somehow.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X