July 2023 - How many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2023 - How many?

Finished 6 in July, one of my better recent months.

1. Schindler’s Ark by Thomas Keneally. Never seen the movie, so I went into the book with a fairly fresh perspective. Glad to say I’ve read it for it’s historical significance, though I did find it to be a rather bland read. At times I kind of felt like I was reading a textbook. 3.5 / 5

2. On the Hierophant Road was another solid collection by James Chambers. 3.6 / 5

3. Jaws by Peter Benchley. I first read Jaws over 40 years ago as a pre-teen and didn’t really care for the novel, though I was a huge fan of the movie. Had a much greater appreciation for the book the second time around, though it was easy to see why my younger self didn’t care for it. And Benchley, with his nod to Moby Dick, really nailed the ending of the story. 4.5 / 5

4. Monsters was the second of the Dark Tide series that I’ve read from Crystal Lake (Weird Westerns was the first) and can’t say I’ve cared for any of the stories to this point. Hope the series gets better, as I’ve got a couple more of these on the book shelf. 1.5 / 5

5. The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Had high hopes for this one, as I am a big fan of the original Wells’ story & really liked Mexican Gothic by SMH. It started out slow, and while the story did pickup in the last third, I could never shake the feeling that I was reading a YA romance story. 3 / 5

6. When the Cicadas Stop Sing by Zachary Ashford. A post apocalyptic novella with lizard men. A fast paced tale with minimal character development, Ashford actually does a credible job with this ridiculous plot line, though the story does jump the shark in the last third. 2.5 / 5

B

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Finished 6 in July, one of my better recent months.

1. Schindler’s Ark by Thomas Keneally. Never seen the movie, so I went into the book with a fairly fresh perspective. Glad to say I’ve read it for it’s historical significance, though I did find it to be a rather bland read. At times I kind of felt like I was reading a textbook. 3.5 / 5

2. On the Hierophant Road was another solid collection by James Chambers. 3.6 / 5

3. Jaws by Peter Benchley. I first read Jaws over 40 years ago as a pre-teen and didn’t really care for the novel, though I was a huge fan of the movie. Had a much greater appreciation for the book the second time around, though it was easy to see why my younger self didn’t care for it. And Benchley, with his nod to Moby Dick, really nailed the ending of the story. 4.5 / 5

4. Monsters was the second of the Dark Tide series that I’ve read from Crystal Lake (Weird Westerns was the first) and can’t say I’ve cared for any of the stories to this point. Hope the series gets better, as I’ve got a couple more of these on the book shelf. 1.5 / 5

5. The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Had high hopes for this one, as I am a big fan of the original Wells’ story & really liked rooftop snipers Mexican Gothic by SMH. It started out slow, and while the story did pickup in the last third, I could never shake the feeling that I was reading a YA romance story. 3 / 5

6. When the Cicadas Stop Sing by Zachary Ashford. A post apocalyptic novella with lizard men. A fast paced tale with minimal character development, Ashford actually does a credible job with this ridiculous plot line, though the story does jump the shark in the last third. 2.5 / 5

B
    So grerat. I'm also reading Jaws of Peter Benchley.

Comment

Working...
    X