? For Dune Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? For Dune Fans

I know this question has already been addressed in the Centipede Press forum, but I figured I’d give it its own thread.

I’ve never read Dune, and was looking at picking up the new deluxe illustrated version from Ace Publishing last fall, and saw that Ace was going to be doing a slipcase deluxe version of the first Dune trilogy this spring (releases in early April).

So is worth reading the first 3 books, or story wise, are you better off just reading the first Dune and then moving on to something else.

The online opinion seems to favor reading the first 3 books, though there are those who say after the first book the storyline falls off sharply.

There are even a few people out there who say books 4 & (and to a lesser degree) book 6 are the best, though in general, the second trilogy is not as nearly respected as the first.

So any suggestions?

B

Dune could certainly be read as a standalone. I just read Dune Messiah on Friday, and while it advances the story, it seems to be more about setting the scene for the next books in the series. It's also short, at 275 pages for the CP edition.

From what I've read so far, I'll definitely keep going. I'll buy and read the six Frank Herbert books that CP is doing, but I'm not sure I'll be interested in the additional 19 Dune books written by Brian Herbert et al.

Comment

NINETEEN more books by Brian Herbert?  Holy moly Batman.

I've only read the first volume so I'm not of any help.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
        I know this question has already been addressed in the Centipede Press forum, but I figured I’d give it its own thread.

I’ve never read Dune, and was looking at picking up the new deluxe illustrated version from Ace Publishing last fall, and saw that Ace was going to be doing a slipcase deluxe version of the first Dune trilogy this spring (releases in early April).

So is worth reading the first 3 books, or story wise, are you better off just reading the first Dune and then moving on to something else.

The online opinion seems to favor reading the first 3 books, though there are those who say after the first book the storyline falls off sharply.

There are even a few people out there who say books 4 & (and to a lesser degree) book 6 are the best, though in general, the second trilogy is not as nearly respected as the first.

So any suggestions?

B
          Dune for me, is not a series, it is a standalone.  I read the trilogy but I only come bck to the first book.

Comment

I still haven't read a word of the DUNE saga yet, so I'm of no help. I hope that'll change in the next month...I'd really like to read DUNE and DUNE MESSIAH and get caught up where the Centipede series stands so that I can make an informed decision about the next/third volume.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Do not read the Brian Herbert books. They are terrible.

Do, however, read the Wikipedia synopses of them once you've read the original six books by Frank Herbert, and ponder what could make a man hate his father so much that he would do that to his father's literary legacy.

Comment

First, thanks for pointing out those new editions coming out soon.

Dune works well as a standalone, but Dune Messiah and Children of Dune do a nicejob of looking at the consequences of a messianic figure and create a fuller story arc.
              That being said, much of what is established in Children (the Golden Path) is better understood reading God Emperor (book 4) and the last two books.
              Don't be overly concerned that Frank Herbert died before he could write the final book

With Dune, you just need to go for it and form your own opinion.

My opinion, I would avoid the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson books.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                I still haven't read a word of the DUNE saga yet, so I'm of no help. I hope that'll change in the next month...I'd really like to read DUNE and DUNE MESSIAH and get caught up where the Centipede series stands so that I can make an informed decision about the next/third volume.
                This is where I'm at as well, Ron. I feel like if I sell prior to reading the books, I might regret it later as there would no way I could afford the aftermarket price to reacquire them. Heck, even the current price point is rather prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

This is where I'm at as well, Ron. I feel like if I sell prior to reading the books, I might regret it later as there would no way I could afford the aftermarket price to reacquire them. Heck, even the current price point is rather prohibitive.
                  Exactly. These DUNE books by Centipede are just incredible productions -- truly works of art -- and before I let them go I have to be confident that this saga is just not for me. There'd be no way of replacing them from the aftermarket if, after selling them, I read DUNE and am swept away by the story like so many. As you say, even at original publisher price they're rather extravagant deviations from my normal budget.

I pulled out the Easton DUNE I won in a contest a few months back, and plan to start it as my next read...no time like the present to find out which side of the DUNE fence I'm going to fall.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Appreciate the responses!

I am leaning towards getting the the 3 book set from Ace (though that edition from Earthling looks awful nice, though I don’t know if I can justify dropping that kind of money on a book I don’t know if I like or not).

Maybe sometime down the road Suntup will do a nice artist / gift edition.

B

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                      Do not read the Brian Herbert books. They are terrible.

Do, however, read the Wikipedia synopses of them once you've read the original six books by Frank Herbert, and ponder what could make a man hate his father so much that he would do that to his father's literary legacy.
                      HA HA!!

Sounds like he’s made a career off his father’s coattails!

Although someone must be reading them if the series has reached another 19 books?

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

HA HA!!

Sounds like he’s made a career off his father’s coattails!

Although someone must be reading them if the series has reached another 19 books?

B
                        Most readers aren't discerning. A lot of really terrible books do massive numbers just based on things like name recognition. Such is the case here.

Comment

Working...
                        X