Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February 2023 - How many?

Finished 8 in February, with one DNF.

1. Voices in the Darkness was a six story anthology edited by David Niall Wilson. The story by Brian Hopkins, which was the longest piece, making up over half the book’s length, was by far my favorite. The story by Elizabeth was OK. Had no interest in any of the other stories. 2.5 / 5

2. Such a Pretty Smile by Kristi DeMeester - every 15 years there appears a serial murderer who preys on young, troubled girls. I liked SAPS, it had a werewolf vibe to it, though the creature / entity was never explained. An ending that felt rushed & preachy (though that was my male perspective; a female perspective would probably feel otherwise) lowered what was a great read to pretty good read, though I would definitely continue reading if DeMeester continues the story. 4 / 5

3. The Open Door (chapbook) was a classic ghost story written by Margaret Oliphant about a family that moves into a mansion located next to some ancient ruins. I liked it, though I did find the story to be a little too slow paced for my tastes. 3 / 5

4. Zombie was the first novel I’ve read by Joyce Carol Oates, though over the years I’ve read her short fiction in various anthologies. Zombie is about a young man who is a sexual predator (apparently based on Jeffrey Dahmer) who is trying to create a sex slave by performing lobotomies on his victims. This was a dark story and a bit of a surprise as Joyce, who I’ve always considered more of a literary author, doesn’t hold back on any thing. Similar to the recently read Let’s go Play at the Adams’, it’s a hard novel to say you liked, but one that will stick with you for awhile. 4.5 / 5

5. The Dead Hours of Night was a collection by Lisa
    Tuttle. I liked this collection, as Tuttle tends to have a very easygoing story telling style, even when dealing with some very dark subject matter. My at favorites were the disturbing ‘Closet Dreams’ about a young girl abducted and held captive, and a reread of ‘Replacements’, about small, needy vampiric creatures that begin to replace men in the lives of women. 4 / 5

6. The Bone Weaver’s Orchard by Sarah Read was a DNF for me. A paint by numbers plot & uninteresting characters couldn’t overcome an WTF, eye rolling scene at the half way point. DNF

7. CJ Tudor has become one my favorite authors in recent years, and her first short story collection, A Sliver of Darkness, only solidifies that perception of her work. Eleven stories & really not a bad one in the collection. Favorites included ‘End of the Liner’ (a never ending post apocalyptic cruise),

(continued from the previous post)

‘The Block’ ( killer bugs & zombies in an abandoned apartment complex), ‘Runaway Blues’ (murder mystery about an unlikely jazz musician and ‘Butterfly Island (post apocalyptic with more killer bugs). 4.5 / 5

8. Mary Shelley Gothic Tales (chapbook) - a short story (‘The Mortal Immortal) and an essay by the author of Frankenstein. 3 / 5

9. The Grownup by Gillian Flynn concerns a con artist trying to help (I.e., fleece for as much as possible) a woman who thinks her new house is haunted. As with most of Flynn’s writing there are some laugh out loud moments, as her snarky protagonist has no grand illusions about her calling in life. At the conclusion, The Grownup feels like the beginning of a longer piece, though that could just be Flynn leaving the reader wanting more. 4.5 / 5

B

Comment

1. The Tattooed Solider by Hector Tobar: An interesting story about a homeless Guatemalan immigrant who stumbles across the soldier who killed his wife and son and plans revenge against him. While Tobar can write, this description makes the book out to be more of a thriller than it actually is. Tobar presents alternating chapters between both the main character and the "tattooed soldier"'s life in America, and I was hoping that the author would present the reader with some moral dilemmas by making the soldier remorseful for his actions, but at the end, all nuance is removed, allowing both the main character and the reader off the hook in regards to the vengeance. It wasn't a bad novel, but not one of my favorites. 3 out of 5.

2. Candide by Voltaire: When this classic satire works, man, it really works. It is an incredibly dark comedy following the misadventures of a young man as he tries to find his way in the world and back to the love of his life that had me laughing out loud in quite a few places, but as it moves into the second half, it tends to wear its premise out. These types of classics (this one was published in 1759) are rather hard to recommend because it doesn't follow the same lines of what storytelling that we are used to today and can be rather difficult to get through unless this type of literature is in one's wheelhouse. It really isn't in mine, but I'm glad I read it nonetheless. 3.5 out of 5.

3. How Much of These Hills is Gold by C Pam Zhang: There are some really great moments in this story of a Chinese American family during the gold rush in California, especially in the middle section of the novel. This book was widely praised upon publication and longlisted for the Booker Award, and I can see why people were so drawn to it. Unfortunately, I felt that the author's poetic writing was too labored in parts and pulled me out of the story. There was also a decision made at the end of the book in regards to the characters' fates that I really struggled with as it just didn't feel earned. Not a bad book, but not quite my jam. 3 out of 5.

Comment

Working...
      X