June 2022 - How many??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 2022 - How many??

June was a slow month. Only finished 3 books.

1. Horns by Joe Hill. My first time rereading Horns since it’s initial publication. While I still place Horns behind NOS4A2 & Heart Shaped Box, I came away with a much greater appreciation for the book than I did on the initial read. 5 / 5

2. Her Wan Embrace by David Barker. A collection of mostly Lovecraftian themed stories (at least those I read), this is the second thing I’ve read from Barker. The first piece, A Revenant for Rebecca Pascal was co-written with WH Pugmire. I didn’t care for Revenant very much either. Flat writing, uninspired story telling, this will probably be the last time I give Barker’s work a shot. DNF

3. The Last Watch by JS Dewes. Trying to get back to reading some SF again after not reading much over the last 20 years. Don’t know that TLW will be the book to jumpstart my SF reading. Overall I liked the story, but it definitely dragged on at times. At 470 pages, it could have easily been edited down to the 370 - 400 page range. 3 / 5

4. Dark Stars ed. by John FD Taff was a mixed bag at best. My favorite story was the John Langan piece, a modern version of the Wendigo story. I also liked the stories by Priya Sharma (a fantasy story about islanders with incredibly long life spans) & Usman Malik (a retelling of an Indian folk lore with a horrific ending). I didn’t like the stories by Ramsey Campbell, SG Jones or Livia Llewelyn. The rest of the stories were OK. 3 / 5

B

Books read and recommended for February-June, 2022.

Hard cover -

1. A Little Yellow Book of Carcosa and Kings by Robert W. Chambers from Borderlands. Some

good ones.

2. The Devoured and the Dead by Kristopher Rufty from Thunderstorm Books and Death’s

Head Press. Fun splatter romp.

3. Radiant Apples by Joe R. Lansdale from Subterranean. The master at work.

3. The Beasts of Brahm by Mark Hansom from Midnight House. Good murder mystery with supernatural overtones.

4. A Fine Evening in Hell by Kristopher Triana from Blood Bound Books. Triana’s best yet. Humans are the worst monsters but others will save you.

5. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by Gord Rollo from Silver Shamrock. Fantastic mystery thriller with plenty of horror mixed in and a unique brush with the Lovecraft mythos.

6. Classic Monsters Unleashed edited by James Aquilone from Black Spot Books. Fun anthology with a few real good ones.

7. A Little Brown Book of Unnatural Narratives by Arthur Machen from Borderlands. Three good stories.

8. Clickers Never Die by Stephen Kozeniewski and Wile E Young from Thunderstorm.

Awesome start to a new Clickers series.

9. Five Deaths for Seven Songbirds by John Everson from Flame Tree. Excellent murder mystery thriller found here. A real page-turner. And so many great musical references.

10. The EC Archives: Terror Illustrated from Dark Horse. Love the illustrations and twist ending stories.

11. Contagion by Michael McBride from Perternatural Press. McBride is amazing this start of a new trilogy. Science, history and horror fiction is his specialty and this one will not let you down.

12. The Ghoul archipelago by Stephen Kozeniewski from Thunderstorm. Very creative take on the apocalyptic future and use of ghouls by humans.

13. The Raven by Jonathan Janz from Flame Tree Press. Another Janz page-turner. Love this guy.

14. Haunt of Southern-Fried Fear by Ronald Kelly from Silver Shamrock. Fun, twisted stories with good endings.

15. Pteranodon Canyon by Tim Meyer from Thunderstorm. Plenty of action but characterization is such that nothing hooked me.

16. The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward from Lividian. WOW! Great first book for me from Ward. Fantastic.

17. Last of the Ravagers by Bryan Smith from Thunderstorm & Death’s Head. Very enjoyable splatter western. Smith brings several genre’s together in great fashion.

18. Guests by Kealan Patrick Burke from Suntup. Very satisfying to read something new from Burke. He has not lost it. Guests was great.

19. Gothic Wounds by Joe R. Lansdale from SST. Lansdale is THE MASTER!

20. No Sleep Till Wonderland by Paul Tremblay from Thunderstorm. Decent crime mystery but needed more suspense and/or thrills.

21. Feesters in the Lake by Bob Leman from Centipede. Fantastic edition of this Midnight House book.

Paperback -

22. Bad Girl in the Box by Tim Curran from Silver Shamrock. Way to repetitious. Maybe better as a novella. My least fav Curran yet.

23. Maiden by T. C. Parker & Ward Nerdlo (Edward Lorn) from Hold My Beer. Good stuff. Page turner.

24. Manhunt by Gretchen Felker-Martin from Nightfire. Wow! Great debut for this author. Quite unique take on post-apocalyptic situation.

25. The Wicked Rex of the West by Ward Nerdlo (Edward Lorn) & Daron Kappauff from Hold My Beer. Crazy action packed fun-filled romp. These guys had a blast writing and I reading it.

26. Prodigal Son by Gregg Hurwitz from St. Martin’s. This may be the best Orphan X novel yet. Love it.

27. Try Again by Wesley Southard from South of Heaven Press. Good one. Southard keeps me coming back for more.

28. Born for Trouble by Joe R. Lansdale from Tachyon. The Master does it again. Two new (for me) Hap & Leonard stories here and I loved ‘em.

29. Alien Horrors by Tim Curran from Weird House Press. Alien world sci-fi/horror by Curran is way fun.

30. Hissers 3: Fortress of Flesh by Ryan C. Thomas & Anthony Trevino from Grand Mal. I really enjoyed the first 2 novels in this series. This one didn’t quite have it. Never hooked me.

31. White Trash Gothic III by Edward Lee from Necro. Good Bighead sequel not for the meek.

32. Addicted to the Dead: Relapse Edition by Shane McKenzie from Madness Heart Press. I’ve missed McKenzie. Great to have some new no-holds barred fiction to read.

33. A Hole in the World by Weston Ochse from Solaris. Ochse has become a master of mixing genres. Is character driven stories hook you and don’t let go. Try some.

34. Ride or Die by James Newman from Silver Shamrock. Enjoyable revenge thriller. Full of twists.

Favorites = #2-6, 8-14, 16-19, 21, 23-29, 31-34.

Support Indie Publishers and Enjoy

Comment

Working...
    X