No announcement yet.

October: 31 Days of Horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished The terrifying Ghost and Mr. Chicken....OK, it's not terrifying, but I've loved this movie since I was a kid. The Bon Ami Sequence is kind of Scary LOL!!!
    Last edited by mhatchett; 10-10-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Eric Vornoff View Post
      Thanks Dannyboy for Inferno. I'll have to get that. Inspired, I am playing the Suspira sound track now. I have selected O'Nan's Night County, What October Brings: a Lovecraftian Celebration of Halloween and The Cadaver of Gideon Wyck as my reads for Halloween. A few selections from CDs October Dreams as well.
      I read a few entries from October Dreams every October.

Comment

Disc 2 from Universal Classic Monsters was Frankenstein.
        The movie still holds up well and once again the restoration is top notch.
        Extras:
        Documentaries:
        1. The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster
        2. Karloff: The Gentle Monster
        3. Universal Horror
        Each of these documentaries are well done. Enjoyed these better than the Dracula docs.

The additional documentary '100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics' is on the disc and I will watch it but not today.

Boo: A Short Film - This is a strange ten minute film that uses images from Nosferatu, Frankenstein and the lost file The Cat Creeps with a humorous commentary over the video. Had some funny lines but overall just kind of strange.

Frankenstein Archives: A slide show of original movie promotional materials.

Trailers of each Universal Frankenstein film.

Extras I skipped:
        Monster Tracks: This appears to be an audio overlay and I have not checked it out.
        Two different Feature commentary tracks. I generally to not enjoy these.

Overall this was a very good disc.

Comment

I have the FRANKENSTEIN DVD somewhere, and I really need to dig it out. That is, hands-down, my favorite Universal Horror movie.
          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
            Just finished The terrifying Ghost and Mr. Chicken....OK, it's not terrifying, but I've loved this movie since I was a kind. The Bon Ami Sequence is kind of Scary LOL!!!
            My Mother HATES Don Knotts, so I used to watch his as a kid to annoy her. I still send her a text when they show it on TCM. "Mom, put on channel 60, now!"

Reply: "You son of a bitch! I HATE DON KNOTTS!"

Comment

Day Nine:

I watched the new MUPPET HAUNTED MANSION on Disney +, which was a hit in our house. We're all big Muppet fans, and The Haunted Mansion is my favorite Disney World ride, so this was a natural. After it ended, Disney + recommended an episode of THE MUPPET SHOW starring Vincent Price. I'll watch anything with Vincent Price. The Muppet Show doesn't really hold up well, but it was a nostalgic, fun time for my Wife and I. My twelve-year-old son did not care for it, lol.

After that, I retired to the sunroom and watched Mike Flanagan's HUSH, which I really enjoyed. Very tense, well-made film. I liked seeing a few familiar faces from MIDNIGHT MASS, and the MIDNIGHT MASS easter egg was very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                I have the FRANKENSTEIN DVD somewhere, and I really need to dig it out. That is, hands-down, my favorite Universal Horror movie.
                To be honest that whole disc will be a hard one to top.

Comment

My Mother HATES Don Knotts, so I used to watch his as a kid to annoy her. I still send her a text when they show it on TCM. "Mom, put on channel 60, now!"

Reply: "You son of a bitch! I HATE DON KNOTTS!"
                  Ha! Had I ever called my mom to turn a certain channel I guarantee her response would have been 'Why on earth would I turn the TV on, I have a book!'

Comment

Day Ten:

I read about half of the massive AVENGERS/DOCTOR STRANGE: RISE OF THE DARKHOLD, which was actually mostly skimming, not reading, since most of the first half of the book is comprised of comics that I've read recently in other collections.
                    39739258.jpg

I delved a little further into PUMPKIN KIDS in WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, VOLUME III. The stories in these books are all incredibly well-written, but they nearly all eventually take a turn into almost bizarro territory, and that kind of storytelling leaves me cold. I can appreciate the talent and the craft, but as long and offbeat as these stories are, I think I need a break from these books for a while.

We gathered together for the annual THE SIMPSONS TREEHOUSE OF HORROR episode last night, and...It might be time to put this series to bed. We all agreed it was tired and unfunny. After that I watched another favorite guilty pleasure show, THE OSBOURNES WANT TO BELIEVE, which, for the uninitiated, features Jack Osbourne showing paranormal clips to his parents, Ozzy & Sharon. Ozzy, without fail, gives me at least five legit belly-laughs per episode. His repeated "BALL LIGHTNING!" outbursts crack me up, and his "Oomigoolie Bird" story is one I never get tired of watching. Ozzy, oddly enough, is the only person on any of these shows to actually call out how easily a lot of this crap could be faked.

Comment

Felt too tired to read much this weekend or really do much of anything — plus the weather sucked — so let the TV entertain me.

On Saturday, I watched the three iterations of Richard Matheson’s I AM LEGEND back-to-back, though not in sequential order: The Omega Man (Charlton Heston) followed by The Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price) followed by I Am Legend (Will Smith). Matheson was right when he said that none of the film versions got his book just right, but there’s a good deal to enjoy from each interpretation.

On Sunday I watched a marathon of X-Files episodes, all standalones (i.e. none of the Smoking Man conspiracy episodes) featuring monsters of varying forms. A nice reminder of why I loved that show so much Back in the Day.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Day Eleven:

Got a lot of reading done, dipping in and out of UNTCIGAHUNK, A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, and WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, VOLUME III, and I started THE BIG BOOK OF NECON. My Wife and I started THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR, which we skipped last year due to the meh reviews. Only one episode in, but I thought it was very good. I also caught up on WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, which is, IMO, the best show on television right now.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          Felt too tired to read much this weekend or really do much of anything — plus the weather sucked — so let the TV entertain me.

On Saturday, I watched the three iterations of Richard Matheson’s I AM LEGEND back-to-back, though not in sequential order: The Omega Man (Charlton Heston) followed by The Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price) followed by I Am Legend (Will Smith). Matheson was right when he said that none of the film versions got his book just right, but there’s a good deal to enjoy from each interpretation.

On Sunday I watched a marathon of X-Files episodes, all standalones (i.e. none of the Smoking Man conspiracy episodes) featuring monsters of varying forms. A nice reminder of why I loved that show so much Back in the Day.
                          I’ve been meaning to revisit The X-Files. I loved the show when it first came out and have always thought the Monster-of-the-Week episodes were by far the best episodes of the show. The mythology episodes were best when the conspiracy was vague.

Comment

Day Eleven:

Got a lot of reading done, dipping in and out of UNTCIGAHUNK, A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, and WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, VOLUME III, and I started THE BIG BOOK OF NECON. My Wife and I started THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR, which we skipped last year due to the meh reviews. Only one episode in, but I thought it was very good. I also caught up on WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, which is, IMO, the best show on television right now.
                            BLY MANOR is a much different beast than HILL HOUSE. I thought it was solid but not on par with its predecessor. I want to watch it again at some point to see how I feel on a second viewing.

It took me a while to warm to the tv version of WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, but it has grown on me quite a bit. Nadja’s doll cracked me up. I’m still more of a fan of the movie, which I think is brilliant.

Comment

Watched MIDNIGHT MASS over three nights. I was originally dismayed as to the subgenre the show wound up being in, and saw some of the basic plot twists from the get-go. Then the show takes these very strong right turns with its story beats and I ultimately loved the show. I’m still unsure if it stuck the landing one hundred percent but Mike Flanagan is continuing to show why he is a modern master of the genre. I’m unsure as to why he doesn’t get the praise James Wan, Ari Aster, and Robert Eggers get.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

BLY MANOR is a much different beast than HILL HOUSE. I thought it was solid but not on par with its predecessor. I want to watch it again at some point to see how I feel on a second viewing.

It took me a while to warm to the tv version of WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, but it has grown on me quite a bit. Nadja’s doll cracked me up. I’m still more of a fan of the movie, which I think is brilliant.

I still haven't seen the original WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS movie. It was on Amazon Prime for years, and I kept saying "I'll watch it tomorrow..." Then the TV show started, and all of al sudden you have to rent it to watch it. Someday....

I would totally buy a talking Nadja doll.

Comment

Working...
                                X