October: 31 Days of Horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Classic monsters Disk One: Dracula
    I will start with the movie. The restoration is very well done. The clarity is great and looks original. No signs of digital conversions. They also keep the original aspect ratio rather than try for force it to be wide screen. Having not seen this movie in over 30 years I had little recollection. I had also not read the book the last time I saw the movie. I was pleasantly surprised at how true they were to the original story.
    Extras: Three documentaries. 1. The Road to Dracula - featured commentary from descendants of the movie. Some interesting tidbits but nothing to write home about. 2. Lugosi: The Dark Prince - At first I was not sure I would like this as it delved into the Lugosi vs Karloff narrative that has been played in my opinion. It did move into Lugosi's career and was pretty interesting. The most interesting point for me was his son explaining the decision to bury him in his cape. I wish they would have given the contributors more time with each piece though. One example was Ramsey Campbell would come on screen and start talking about a point and would get less than a minute. This was repeated several times. I would have preferred fewer contributors for each subject. 3. Dracula The Restoration - talks about the effort to restore the film. It was interesting.
    The original trailer for each Universal Dracula film is included as well as a slideshow of Dracula promotion materials. Good stuff.

Content I did not look at:
    The 1931 Spanish version of the film.
    The film with an alternate score.
    Two different versions with commentary.

I enjoyed Disc One. Disc Two is Frankenstein

Comment

Day three:

I kept going on UNTCIGAHUNK, which is in the home stretch. (At least the novel is....There are a lot of related short stories after it.)

I started a reread of CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN BY JEPH LOEB AND TIM SALE, a hardcover collection of the early 90s miniseries that blew me away when I first read it. I include it here because one of the Challengers becomes involved in black magic, lending a bit of a Horror tint to the tale. Sixty pages in, and it is holding up very well.

challunknown_loeb_sale_5aff2c4143e3e4.49996776.jpg?itok=7Ntnai_E.jpg

My Wife and I are in the home stretch of the Netflix mini-series MIDNIGHT MASS, which I can't recommend enough. The story sits firmly in the sweet spot of my all-time favorite Horror trope, one which I never get sick of, but which I'll refrain from talking about here because of potential spoilers.
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
        Day three:

I kept going on UNTCIGAHUNK, which is in the home stretch. (At least the novel is....There are a lot of related short stories after it.)

I started a reread of CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN BY JEPH LOEB AND TIM SALE, a hardcover collection of the early 90s miniseries that blew me away when I first read it. I include it here because one of the Challengers becomes involved in black magic, lending a bit of a Horror tint to the tale. Sixty pages in, and it is holding up very well.

My Wife and I are in the home stretch of the Netflix mini-series MIDNIGHT MASS, which I can't recommend enough. The story sits firmly in the sweet spot of my all-time favorite Horror trope, one which I never get sick of, but which I'll refrain from talking about here because of potential spoilers.
        Midnight Mass has received so much good press I may have to give it a try.

Comment

I think you'll like it, but try to avoid spoilers. I hate that people seem to feel these days that it's fine to post spoilers without warning a day or two after a movie opens or a TV show premieres. I won't spoil what I've seen of MIDNIGHT MASS here, but I'll give you a censored example of what I encountered yesterday, before I watched the fifth episode:

I was checking my phone for a text from my son, and I scrolled over to my newsfeed, which is literally nothing but news about comics, movies, wrestling, and Horror, and there's a headline that says

"Why was (blank) still (blank) in the (blank) during the (blank) in episode 5 of Midnight Mass?"

EXCEPT THEY DIDN'T SAY BLANK...THEY HAD FULL SPOILERS IN THE HEADLINE.

I fucking hate that.

The new VENOM film opened Thursday night, and by Friday morning, someone on the radio blared out the contents of the post-credits scene, and I've since seen about 50 different articles online spoiling it. Ugh.

Anyway...yeah, watch MIDNIGHT MASS. I have two episodes left, and then I'm going to watch THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR, which we skipped because of mixed reviews. MM and HILL HOUSE are both excellent, so I'm finally going to dig into BLY, reviews be damned.

Comment

I think you'll like it, but try to avoid spoilers. I hate that people seem to feel these days that it's fine to post spoilers without warning a day or two after a movie opens or a TV show premieres. I won't spoil what I've seen of MIDNIGHT MASS here, but I'll give you a censored example of what I encountered yesterday, before I watched the fifth episode:

I was checking my phone for a text from my son, and I scrolled over to my newsfeed, which is literally nothing but news about comics, movies, wrestling, and Horror, and there's a headline that says

"Why was (blank) still (blank) in the (blank) during the (blank) in episode 5 of Midnight Mass?"

EXCEPT THEY DIDN'T SAY BLANK...THEY HAD FULL SPOILERS IN THE HEADLINE.

I fucking hate that.

The new VENOM film opened Thursday night, and by Friday morning, someone on the radio blared out the contents of the post-credits scene, and I've since seen about 50 different articles online spoiling it. Ugh.

Anyway...yeah, watch MIDNIGHT MASS. I have two episodes left, and then I'm going to watch THE HAUNTING OF BLY MANOR, which we skipped because of mixed reviews. MM and HILL HOUSE are both excellent, so I'm finally going to dig into BLY, reviews be damned.
            So far I have seen no spoilers, just people praising it. I literally know nothing about the story. I know that there is a novel, of the same name, from F.P. Wilson. In fact I have the book. I believe I received it in CD grab bag. I have never read the book and am not even sure that the series has anything to do with the book.

Comment

No relation to the Wilson book, but I made the same assumption when I first heard of the series.

Comment

Day four:

I made a lot of progress on UNTCIGAHUNK, but as I close in on the end I wonder if some of the peripheral characters that Huatala mercilessly padded the book with will come into play in any significant way before the novel wraps up. Were these people and their bland subplots just there to bulk up the page count?

My Wife and I watched the sixth episode of MIDNIGHT MASS, and I can't ever remember seeing such a nerve-wracking hour of television in my life. I was really pissed off when it ended, because it was almost 11, and I had to be up in six hours for work, so i couldn't watch the conclusion. Damned job! REALLY looking forward to the end, but sad that it'll be over. I hope they nail the ending....fingers crossed.

Comment

Day Five:

Read a little more UNTCIGAHUNK, which I am good and ready to finish, let me tell you. I'm still sloooowly working my way through the three-volume set WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, by Robert Shearman, and the next story that I happened to choose, THE PUMPKIN KIDS, is a Halloween story. This is an excellently written book(s), but the sheer density of the stories make it a very time-consuming read. I'm a little over 30 stories in (Out of 100+) since July, and I'm contemplating setting this aside after I finish this story, so I can give myself a chance to recharge before tackling it again after Halloween.

I started a short digital collection called MIDNIGHT RITUALS, which features a fun Brian Keene zombie story. At around 35 pages, it's a cool seasonal read. I believe this is still free on Amazon, if anyone is interested in downloading it.

We finished up MIDNIGHT MASS last night, and....wow. GREAT series. Sad to have it end, but happy that it DID end, and not drag on for a few seasons. It was the perfect length. And the ending really stuck with me. I've been thinking about it all day. Highly recommended.

Comment

Day Six:

I work from home a few days a week, and I usually find something that doesn't require me to pay too much attention that I keep on the TV as background noise, and as a distraction from the soul-crushing monotony of my job. Yesterday, it was a few episodes of my favorite guilty pleasures, The Travel Channel's PARANORMAL CAUGHT ON CAMERA and UNEXPLAINED CAUGHT ON CAMERA. While most of this nonsense is ridiculous and easily explained/laughed off, I love watching it....

I finished MIDNIGHT RITUALS, which was a fun, if not especially memorable, read, and finally started A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS...I'm about 10% in, so no opinion yet.

Comment

Day Five:

Read a little more UNTCIGAHUNK, which I am good and ready to finish, let me tell you. I'm still sloooowly working my way through the three-volume set WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK, by Robert Shearman, and the next story that I happened to choose, THE PUMPKIN KIDS, is a Halloween story. This is an excellently written book(s), but the sheer density of the stories make it a very time-consuming read. I'm a little over 30 stories in (Out of 100+) since July, and I'm contemplating setting this aside after I finish this story, so I can give myself a chance to recharge before tackling it again after Halloween.

I started a short digital collection called MIDNIGHT RITUALS, which features a fun Brian Keene zombie story. At around 35 pages, it's a cool seasonal read. I believe this is still free on Amazon, if anyone is interested in downloading it.

We finished up MIDNIGHT MASS last night, and....wow. GREAT series. Sad to have it end, but happy that it DID end, and not drag on for a few seasons. It was the perfect length. And the ending really stuck with me. I've been thinking about it all day. Highly recommended.
                      Just started MIDNIGHT MASS and two episodes in I’m liking it so far. I’m curious as to where it’s going to go since I feel like it’s a little obvious.

Comment

Day three:

I think I missed that CHALLENGERS series. I need to dig out my old long boxes and check. Sounds good.

Comment

Day seven:

Kind of a slow one, Horror-wise. I spent a few hours watching some obscure cryptid-hunt show on the Travel Channel. I'm a sucker for cryptids. In one episode, he hunted for an extinct giant ground sloth, and in another, a 25-foot long Croc that is killing people in Africa. He actually found, and was attacked by, the croc, which yielded some very cool footage. They failed ot capture and relocate it, though, so...sorry, villagers!

Day eight:

I made more progress on UNTCIGAHUNK and A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, and I took advantage of the mild weather to hit the sunroom and rewatch, after more than three decades, the original A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, which held up very well. I forgot how different Freddy was in this one. HBO Max has all of the ELM STREET films, including the remake, so I may make watching them all a Halloween Month project.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I think I missed that CHALLENGERS series. I need to dig out my old long boxes and check. Sounds good.
                            I think you'll like it. It's kind of like THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS of Challenger stories, lol.

Comment

Thanks Dannyboy for Inferno. I'll have to get that. Inspired, I am playing the Suspira sound track now. I have selected O'Nan's Night County, What October Brings: a Lovecraftian Celebration of Halloween and The Cadaver of Gideon Wyck as my reads for Halloween. A few selections from CDs October Dreams as well.

Comment

I'm not familiar with WHAT OCTOBER BRINGS and WYCK, so thanks for bringing them to my attention, Dr. I've added them to my reading list.

Comment

Working...
                                X