October: 31 Days of Horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October: 31 Days of Horror

I love Halloween, and every year I promise myself that I'll devote the month to reading great Horror novels and watching great Horror movies and TV shows. And every year I fail miserably, or at least don't come anywhere close to consuming enough Horror to meet my expectations.

So I figured I'd start a thread here, and I'd post about my Horror consumption for each day, and invite other like-minded folks to do the same. Seen a scary movie, read a creepy book, taken a cool haunted hayride...? Tell us about it! This is the thread for 31 days of Horror! Have at it!

I worked from home this morning, and I kicked off October by watching this week's episode of EXPEDITION X on-demand. This week, Josh Gates and company investigated a haunted Civil-War era fort. I prefer when they chase Cryptids, but beggars can't be choosers. Usually their investigations take one episode, but this dud is to-be-continued next week....

After clocking out for the day, I settled down in my sunroom and continued my slog through the Delirium hardcover of Rick Huatala's UNTCIGAHUNK: STORIES AND MYTHS OF THE LITTLE BROTHERS. Huatala is always hit-or-miss for me, and this is a big miss. I'm 347 pages in, and almost nothing has happened. The proofreading is dreadful, as well. As a former semi-professional proofreader, I am cringing a lot as I read this book.

So, partway through day one of Halloween month, I already have a little Horror under my belt. How are the rest of you doing so far?
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

I'm Not quite that ambitious. I do break out my Ray Bradbury October Country and give some of the stories a read, especially the Homecoming. Up next, Roger Zelazny, A Night in the Lonesome October, Of Course, I have to dip into October Dreams..Tis the Season!!

Comment

Sounds like a great tradition!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
        Sounds like a great tradition!
        The great thing about A Night in the Lonesome October is that the chapters are days of the month, so it is almost like a Halloween Advent calendar LOL!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nigh...nesome_October

Comment

I had a store credit at best buy that was nearing expiration so I used to purchase the Blu Ray of 'Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection'. I will be watching some movies I have not seen in many years and some related documentaries that I probably have not seen. Not sure how many I will get through this month but I will post my thoughts here when as I do.

Comment

I've always wanted that Blu-Ray set, Martin....I've never pulled the trigger because our player is in the living room, and fighting my wife and kids over the TV, when I'm the only Horror fan, is just a losing proposition. Please keep us posted, especially about the documentaries, which are my main interest.

Comment

Excellent idea. I accomplished phase 1 of my Halloween binge. I filed my vacation request for the week before and the day after Halloween. Now I have to make it through the next three work weeks.

Comment

Oh, man, I LOVE Halloween. Unfortunately I’m usually so busy with work that the month flies by and I don’t get to maximize my Halloween season enjoyment as much as I’d like. This year, I’m trying to change that.

Movies/TV:
                1. Fantastic Fest’s virtual festival has begun so I’ve already had two days of genre goodness, with three more days to go.
                2. After FF ends, I plan on catching up with Mike Flanagan’s MIDNIGHT MASS
                3. And I already have a curated list of 10+ movies to watch leading into Halloween

Books:
                Currently reading THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS by Stephen Graham Jones. Then I’m moving on to Centipede’s edition of THE WOMAN IN BLACK. Probably add an anthology of Horror stories in there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Eric Vornoff View Post
                  Excellent idea. I accomplished phase 1 of my Halloween binge. I filed my vacation request for the week before and the day after Halloween. Now I have to make it through the next three work weeks.
                  That’s a great idea. I’ve been always tempted to take the before Halloween off, but operationally it’s a very busy time at work as e we prep for the holiday season. I could take the time off but I’m afraid I’d be stressed the whole time about what’s going on—or not going on—while I’m away.

Hope your vacation is filled with all kinds of spooky goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    I had a store credit at best buy that was nearing expiration so I used to purchase the Blu Ray of 'Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection'. I will be watching some movies I have not seen in many years and some related documentaries that I probably have not seen. Not sure how many I will get through this month but I will post my thoughts here when as I do.
                    Great set! What documentaries are on your viewing list? I’m always on the look out for good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Eric Vornoff View Post
                      I love it! I was hoping to do that this year, finally, but we had a death in the family, and I'll be using some vacation time the week before to travel for the memorial service. I can't take too much time off, or I'll incur the wrath of my infantile co-worker, who has to cover for me when I'm gone. Please keep us in the loop on your Halloween plans, Dr.!

Comment

Day Two!

I've been reading Horror(ish) comics today, while listening to John Carpenter's score to IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS.
                        clean.jpg
                        ILLUMINATI: LIFE OF CRIME is more of a Super-Villain team-up book, but main character The Hood is demonically-powered, so...it counts!

clean.jpg
                        HOWLING COMMANDOS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.: MONSTER SQUAD is a full-on monster-fest. Zombies, swamp-creatures, aquatic beings, vampires, ancient Egyptian lunatics, lycanthropes, ghosts, aliens...fun all around.

Still slogging away at UNTCIGAHUNK, and it is finally starting to move. Rick Huatala must have loved peanut butter, because he's had about eight or nine different scenes where he has lovingly described, in detail, characters slowly eating peanut butter sandwiches. Weird.

Comment

Continuing on, and reading the first issue of Warrant's VAMPIRESS CARMILLA magazine. I love the idea behind the Warrant Comics. They're intended to invoke the spirit of the old Warren magazines like CREEPY and EERIE, but they usually fall far short. This was no exception. The stories are so old-fashioned and predictable that I'm almost embarrassed to read them. On the plus side, there's some nice art, and I'm listening to the batshit crazy Keith Emerson score to Dario Argento's INFERNO while I'm reading.
                          4905_pd3523939_1_vampiress_carmilla_1.jpg

And if you're never heard the INFERNO score, this insane track is my absolute favorite: Mater Tenebrarum!

Comment

STL175611.jpg

VAMPIRESS CARMILLA #2...a vast improvement on the first issue. The stories still lack the twist ending that they keep trying for, but the overall quality of the writing and art was encouraging.

Comment

I'm just starting Certain Dark Things, by Silvia Moreno-Garcia.

Comment

Working...
                              X