X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August - How Many?

Completed 7 Reads in August.

Billy Summers by Stephen King:
    This one starts with a story about a hit man on his last job. There is much more depth to the story as King gradually explains the events of the protagonist’s life that created the man he is. At the midway point the story changes dramatically. King writes a story without any supernatural elements. The closest it comes is some strong ties to The Shining and a passing nod to The Stand. This one has made it into my top King reads and I am hoping the story is continued in some way.
    5 Stars

Kin by Kealan Patrick burke:
    This is a re-read of a classic horror story about a murderous family and a survivors attempt at revenge.
    5 Stars

Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar:
    I will start by saying that maybe my expectations were to high going into this one. I absolutely loved all the stories in ‘A Long December’. Fiction that reads like true crime is right in my wheel house. While I enjoyed the story elements did not work for me. The story is based on a fictional 22 year old Richard Chizmar’s interest in a string of killings in his small town. I think two elements reduced my enjoyment of this story. The first was, having the story narrated by a person whose only connection to the events was proximity and his interest in being a horror writer. The second was that the background details about the narrator’s life had nothing to do with the crimes. Decent read but I expected more.
    3 Stars

Sympathy for the Devil by Kent Anderson:
    This is a tale about a man who joins the Green Berets right out of college and serves two tours in Vietnam. The story covers his decision to serve, the brutality and dehumanization of serving and the difficulties of returning to life as a civilian after the experiences. Overall a very well told story.
    4 Stars

Dark Across the Bay by Ania Ahlborn:
    A family of four, each experiencing their own crisis, finds a vacation home on a private island in a bay. The weekend is supposed to bring them back together. The narration of the story is very unique. Each chapter is from the view of a member of the family. The author does a great job of telling a linear story while jumping between viewpoints. I previously read Brother and Seed by Mrs. Ahlborn and felt they were basically the same story told with modifications. This story showed a range from the author. My only criticism would be that some elements were predictable.
    4 Stars

Born Standing Up: A Comics Life by Steve Martin:
    Steve Martin tells a compelling story of his life. From his childhood working at Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm, his struggling to succeed in stand up, his success and then the decision to walk away. Very entertaining and informative.
    4 Stars

Station Two by Jack Ketchum:
    This story was published as a chapbook. The story tells of one dinner shift in a restaurant where madness unfolds. The story kept making me think about Stephen King’s Lunch at the Gotham café. To be honest Gotham Café is a better story.
    3 Stars

KIN is such a good read. One of those books that I could have spent another hundred or so pages with.

Comment

Only one this past month...

DEVOLUTION by Max Brooks
      I went in with high expectations due to all the praise the book has received on this forum and I wasn't disappointed. Brooks's take on a small community cutoff by Mount Rainier erupting and attacked by sasquatch is just such a fun read. It's fast paced, tense, and highly recommended.

Comment

DEVOLUTION is a phenomenal read. One of the best books I've read this year.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          DEVOLUTION is a phenomenal read. One of the best books I've read this year.
          I wish I hadn’t read so many positive reviews. It set my expectations up a little too high at first. I had to reset them and meet the book on its own terms…and then I loved it. Brooks can write.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I wish I hadn’t read so many positive reviews. It set my expectations up a little too high at first. I had to reset them and meet the book on its own terms…and then I loved it. Brooks can write.
            I read it as soon as it was released and loved it. So far Brooks has told some very original stories. I am looking forward to more.

Comment

It was a good month.
              Books read and recommended for August, 2021.

Hard cover -

1. The Policy by Bentley Little from Signet. Little writes page-turners taking the norm to places of fear and horror. Good one.

2. Moon Lake by Joe R. Lansdale from Mulholland. Lansdale writes great suspense crime thrillers. This one does not disappoint.

3. A Savage Breed by Patrick C. Harrison III from Thunderstorm Books and Death’s Head Press. This one has it all. Way fun and page-turning read.

4. Red Station by Kenzie Jennings from Thunderstorm Books and Death’s Head Press. Well now, ain’t this a fun gore-filled murder fest.

Paperback -

5. The Night Carnival by John Urbancik from DarkFluidity. Nicely done. Creepy.

6. Wolf Hunt 3 by Jeff Strand. He just keeps doing it. Again. Funny and horrific.

Favorites = #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Support Indie Publishers and Enjoy

Comment

Working...
              X