July 2020 - How Many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2020 - How Many?

Went to update my reading log and realized I never updated July. Looked and could not find a how many thread for July either.

Completed 4 reads in August.
    Muse by James Renner:
    I am not sure why I like stories about the H.P. Lovecraft mythos when I generally did not like Lovecraft’s writing. This is a tale of a chest that provided Lovecraft with his stories. I very fun read.
    4 Stars

Songs for the Missing by Stewart O’Nan:
    Stewart O’Nan at his finest leaves me feeling like I am observing peoples lives. This story is a great example of that. A young lady vanishes the summer between high school and college. The vivid details of the impact her disappearance has on those around her is compelling and tragic. I have read this story several times and it never fails to impact me.
    5 Stars

Westlake Soul by Rio Youers:
    The story of a young man who is left ‘brain dead’ after a surfing accident. He is able to breath on his own but nothing else. The story is narrated by the young man who is aware of everything happening around him. Supernatural elements aid in his teeing of the story as he is able to communicate via thought with the family dog. He is also able to astral project himself to other places allowing him the be in the doctor’s office as his parents discuss what to do. I found this a very compelling story.
    5 Stars

Paradise Sky by Joe R. Lansdale:
    Having read a short story with Nat Love I decided I wanted to read this. The story was fantastic and left me wanting to know how much was based on the real Nat Love. Turns out, not that much. But still a great read!
    5 Stars

That’s a sweet list of books. I freaking love WESTLAKE SOUL. The premise sounded ridiculous when I first heard it, but it was a compelling and emotionally draining.

I really need to get around to reading PARADISE SKY. I do this thing where I buy books by authors I love…and then never get around to reading them. I always love Lansdale’s stuff, but I’ve got six or seven limiteds I haven’t even cracked open yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      That’s a sweet list of books. I freaking love WESTLAKE SOUL. The premise sounded ridiculous when I first heard it, but it was a compelling and emotionally draining.

I really need to get around to reading PARADISE SKY. I do this thing where I buy books by authors I love…and then never get around to reading them. I always love Lansdale’s stuff, but I’ve got six or seven limiteds I haven’t even cracked open yet.
      I had actually forgotten that I had purchased Paradise Sky. When I decided I wanted to read it I began looking for a copy and recognized the cover. Westlake Soul is a story I will read multiple times.

Comment

SONGS FOR THE MISSING IS GREAT. O'Nan did a riff on that same idea (kind of) for an earlier book, SNOW ANGELS, but that one didn't impact nearly as much as SONGS.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Books read and recommended for July, 2021.

Hard cover -

1. Borderlands 7 edited by Olivia and Thomas Monteleone from Borderlands. Fantastic anthology once again. Many jewels here.

2. The Weird O’ It by Clive Pemberton fromMidnight House. Excellent collection. Even those stories that have a predictable ending are very fun reads.

3. Later by Stephen King from Hard Case Crime. Very good novel. King does it again.

4. The Fearing by John D. Taff from Thunderstorm. My first novel by this author. An excellent one too. Bogged down a bit in the middle but ended wonderfully.

5. Blue Hell by Greg F. Gifune and Sandy DeLuca from Thunderstorm Books. A different take on the old fanged monsters.

6. A Little Gold Book of Unconsidered Stories by Lee Child from Borderlands. Child is a good writer but I just can’t get into these stories.

Paperback -

7. Entangled Soul & Other Stories by Chris Mars & Gene O’Neill from Omnium Gatherum. Very good anthology of shorts with a novella collaboration. These guys can write.

8. Something Estranged by Edward Lorn from Lornographic. Lorn writes great short stories, novelettes and novellas. Interesting characters and emotional fits await. Can’t wait for the next one.

9. La Sanguinaire and Other Arachnid Horrors by Ronald Kelly from D & T. Very good collection of frights. Kelly hits the scary spots.

10. The Hungry Snow by Joe R. Lansdale from Death’s Head Press. Lansdale weaves great tales.

11. The Unseen by Bryan Smith from Grindhouse. Smith rules the murder, suspense, gory thrillers.

Favorites = #1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

Support Indie Publishers and Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            SONGS FOR THE MISSING IS GREAT. O'Nan did a riff on that same idea (kind of) for an earlier book, SNOW ANGELS, but that one didn't impact nearly as much as SONGS.
            Sounds like I need to read more O’Nan. I remember really liking the film adaptation of SNOW ANGELS.

Comment

Snow Angels is a good read. Songs for the Missing just puts me in with the family. At points I feel like I am intruding on the family as they go through this tragedy. I really hope Lividian does a limited of that story, it is so deserving.

Comment

Sounds like I need to read more O’Nan. I remember really liking the film adaptation of SNOW ANGELS.
                If you like Snow Angels you should read Songs for the Missing!

Comment

Originally posted by kresby View Post
                  Books read and recommended for July, 2021.

Hard cover -

1. Borderlands 7 edited by Olivia and Thomas Monteleone from Borderlands. Fantastic anthology once again. Many jewels here.

2. The Weird O’ It by Clive Pemberton fromMidnight House. Excellent collection. Even those stories that have a predictable ending are very fun reads.

3. Later by Stephen King from Hard Case Crime. Very good novel. King does it again.

4. The Fearing by John D. Taff from Thunderstorm. My first novel by this author. An excellent one too. Bogged down a bit in the middle but ended wonderfully.

5. Blue Hell by Greg F. Gifune and Sandy DeLuca from Thunderstorm Books. A different take on the old fanged monsters.

6. A Little Gold Book of Unconsidered Stories by Lee Child from Borderlands. Child is a good writer but I just can’t get into these stories.

Paperback -

7. Entangled Soul & Other Stories by Chris Mars & Gene O’Neill from Omnium Gatherum. Very good anthology of shorts with a novella collaboration. These guys can write.

8. Something Estranged by Edward Lorn from Lornographic. Lorn writes great short stories, novelettes and novellas. Interesting characters and emotional fits await. Can’t wait for the next one.

9. La Sanguinaire and Other Arachnid Horrors by Ronald Kelly from D & T. Very good collection of frights. Kelly hits the scary spots.

10. The Hungry Snow by Joe R. Lansdale from Death’s Head Press. Lansdale weaves great tales.

11. The Unseen by Bryan Smith from Grindhouse. Smith rules the murder, suspense, gory thrillers.

Favorites = #1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

Support Indie Publishers and Enjoy
                  Thanks! I may need to bump Borderlands 7 up on my TBR.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thanks! I may need to bump Borderlands 7 up on my TBR.
                    I agree with Kresby on the Pemberton collection, but not in BORDERLANDS 7. While there were a few good stories, the majority of it was disappointing. I ended up selling my copy — and I have all the other S/L BORDERLANDS anthos, so didn’t even sweat breaking up the series…that’s how disappointed I was. I’m done with that series and, honestly, after this and other recent years’ releases and no interest in the new LITTLE BOOKS set, done with supporting Borderlands.
                    Last edited by RonClinton; 09-02-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Only two for me in July:

THE HORROR HALL OF FAME: THE STOKER WINNERS:
                      This was a decent collection of horror short stories, but most didn't set my world on fire. There were a trio of stories that I really liked: Lansdale's "The Night They Missed the Horror Show", Jack Cady's "The Night They Buried Road Dog" (probably my favorite), and "Orange is for Anguish, Blue is for Insanity" by David Morrell.

THE FACILITY by Brandon Ford
                      An interesting premise that fails to dig in or really examine character's motivations. After finding out that her husband has assaulted their daughter, a woman hires an organization only known as The Facility to help fix this problem so they can all be a happy family again. Ford handles the topic sensitively, but fails to really dig into the motivations of why someone would stay with a spouse who is abusing their child. It's a narrative gap that the story doesn't quite overcome. While not a complete success, I'd give Ford another shot.

Comment

I agree with Kresby on the Pemberton collection, but not in BORDERLANDS 7. While there were a few good stories, the majority of it was disappointing. I ended up selling my copy — and I have all the other S/L BORDERLANDS anthos, so didn’t even sweat breaking up the series…that’s how disappointed I was. I’m done with that series and, honestly, after this and other recent years’ releases and no interest in the new LITTLE BOOKS set, done with supporting Borderlands.
                        That’s a bummer. Must have been pretty bad to break up a set. I’ve been Borderlands-free since selling off my Little Books collection. I’m still occasionally tempted by the two volume Straub set, though.

Comment

That’s a bummer. Must have been pretty bad to break up a set. I’ve been Borderlands-free since selling off my Little Books collection. I’m still occasionally tempted by the two volume Straub set, though.
                          The packaging with its digital clipart-like cover was already underwhelming, and then the usual batch of typos and formatting issues...combined with a lion's share of stories that were disappointing...BORDERLANDS 7 was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me as it came to Borderlands. Once Elizabeth and Tom stepped away and handed the reins to their daughter, it's progressively become a press that I just don't feel gives appropriate return on investment. These remain expensive books that more and more feel cheap and shabbily designed and carelessly produced, with editorial talent that seems absent or, perhaps, just vastly different from my own. Either way, I can no longer justify any expenditure for their books.

Comment

The packaging with its digital clipart-like cover was already underwhelming, and then the usual batch of typos and formatting issues...combined with a lion's share of stories that were disappointing...BORDERLANDS 7 was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me as it came to Borderlands. Once Elizabeth and Tom stepped away and handed the reins to their daughter, it's progressively become a press that I just don't feel gives appropriate return on investment. These remain expensive books that more and more feel cheap and shabbily designed and carelessly produced, with editorial talent that seems absent or, perhaps, just vastly different from my own. Either way, I can no longer justify any expenditure for their books.
                            Disappointing to hear that they are still dealing typos and formatting issues. This has been going on for years now. Such a bummer.

Comment

Working...
                            X