Sword & Sorcery, Epic Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword & Sorcery, Epic Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy

I started a Sword & Sorcery, Epic Fantasy, Heroic Fantasy and recently something called Literary Sword & Sorcery Thread. I’m including this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_and_sorcery because I think it is pretty interesting. I discovered Epic Fantasy in the early 1970s when I started reading the Lancer editions of Robert E. Howards Conan books. I also dabbled in Edgar Rice Burroughs, the Outlaw of Torn and oddly, John Norman’s Gor series. Giant Flying Birds and Sex Slaves, what 14 year old wasn’t up for that?? The next big jump for me came when Zebra Books started reissuing all of Howard’s Non-Conan Material, especially his historical fiction, Sowers of Thunder, Hawks of Outremer and the Horror Collection, Pigeons From Hell. I loved the Karl Edward Wagner’s Kane Series, they are so dark, yet humorous. The newer writers I have enjoyed include Peter V. Brett, Patrick Rothfuss, Django Wexler, Miles Cameron, Joe Abercrombie and John Gwynne. There many others and we’ll get to them in later posts, I’m sure. So feel free to jump in the pool and share your S&S favorites!

They say that you grow out of sword and sorcery fiction; however, I still find myself returning to the classics a lot. Have a ton of Robert E. Howard on my bookshelves along with a smattering of Edgar Rice Burroughs & Karl Edward Wagner. Haven't read many of the newer writers that you mention, but, it is mainly because I can't afford, both in time and money, to read them as I spend the majority of my time and money these days reading Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, & Alt History/Weird fiction. One day I would like to get around to some of the newer authors that you mention as I have heard their names pop-up in a lot of forums with good reviews.

Comment

This and Science Fiction are my favorite genres to read. Robert Jordan, Terry Brooks, (Tolkien obviously), Stephen R Donaldson, Terry Pratchett, Brandon Sanderson (his non Wheel of Time work is on my to read list), Elizabeth Moon, Rick Riordan to name a few.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Just finishing this up. John Gwynne The Shadow of the Gods. It's based on Norse/Norse like mythology. It is the first book in the Bloodsworn trilogy. It is really good, the story pacing is fantastic. It looks like he is going the leave me with three cliffhanger storylines. Can't wait till the next one comes out.

Comment

You might want to give my Trencit Legacy series a try. I'm currently writing book 4, and I've received high praise from Piers Anthony for several of these. It's more atmospheric and lacks all the high fantasy tropes (like excessive magic, elves, dragons, etc.), and has many horror elements, and certainly creatures and monsters, most of my own creation. It's what I primarily write these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Melniczek View Post
            You might want to give my Trencit Legacy series a try. I'm currently writing book 4, and I've received high praise from Piers Anthony for several of these. It's more atmospheric and lacks all the high fantasy tropes (like excessive magic, elves, dragons, etc.), and has many horror elements, and certainly creatures and monsters, most of my own creation. It's what I primarily write these days.
            On it!

Comment

Glen Cook The Dread Empire, Five Volumes and a Best of Volume. Night Shade Books!

Glen Cook 2.jpg

Comment

Anthony Ryan is great. He always delivers a fast paced, well written Tale. And he doesn't sit on his hands, he always seems to have a book ready to go!!

Ryan! 2.jpg
                Last edited by mhatchett; 08-25-2021, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the genre--not that I hate it, but I don't get super-excited about it--but I've been really interested in picking up Ryan's new series of novellas coming out from Subterranean. I missed out on the first book and I'm not willing to drop the dough on the aftermarket prices. Maybe I'll try a trade edition of something else he's written.

Comment

That book, https://www.librarything.com/work/24...book/198445824, is a great intro to his work.

Comment

Working...
                    X