John Pelan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Pelan

I once emailed John Pelan, as a last resort, in trying to track down a copy of an out-of-print, unavailable, and wildly expensive copy of a book (that I can't even remember the name of). We had a short email correspondence, and a week later he located a new copy from a friend of his, and had arranged that I got it at cost - $35 or $40, the original sale price! When it was available it was $350-$400.
    I still have a bunch of Dark Side, Silver Salamander, and Midnight House books stashed somewhere. His love of the genre was infectious.

pelan.jpg

John Pelan (1957-2021)
    Author, editor, and publisher John C. Pelan, 63, died April 12, 2021 in Albuquerque NM of an apparent heart attack. He lived in Gallup NM. Pelan was a significant figure in the dark fantasy and horror field, best known for founding numerous small presses and editing anthologies.
    Pelan was born July 19, 1957 in Seattle WA. In 1986 he founded Axolotl Press, publishing work by James P. Blaylock, Charles de Lint, Tim Powers, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Michael Shea, and more. In the ‘90s he began Darkside Press, bringing classics of genre fiction back to print, and Silver Salamander, an imprint devoted to modern horror that produced work by Brian Hodge, Thomas Ligotti, Elisabeth Massie, and more. He co-founded Midnight House in the ‘90s as well. While those publishers stopped operating in the early 2000s, in more recent years he ran the Dancing Tuatara imprint at Ramble House.
    Pelan was a well-known anthologist, beginning with Axolotl Special 1 (1989) and continuing with International Horror Guild Award winner Darkside: Horror for the Next Millennium (1996), The Last Continent: New Tales of Zothique (1999), The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft (2002, with Benjamin Adams), Stoker Award Winner The Darker Side: Generations of Horror (2002), Shadows Over Baker Street (2003, with Michael Reaves), A Walk on the Darkside: Visions of Horror (2004), Lost on the Darkside: Voices from the Edge of Horror (2005), Dark Arts (2006), Alone on the Darkside: Echoes from the Shadows of Horror (2006), The Century’s Best Horror Fiction 1901-1950 (2012), The Century’s Best Horror Fiction 1951-2000 (2012), and Tales of Terror and Torment: Stories from the Pulps, Volume 1 (2013). He also edited the Fall 2019 issue of Weird Fiction Review for Centipede Press.
    As an author, Pelan published more than 30 stories, including some in collaboration with Edward Lee. Some of his short fiction was collected in Darkness, My Old Friend (2016). His longer works include The Colour out of Darkness (1998) and two collaborations with Lee: Shifters (1998) and Family Tradition (2002). He was also a prolific essayist and reviewer. He is survived by his wife, Kathy Pelan.
    Last edited by njhorror; 04-13-2021, 04:25 PM.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had not heard that he passed away. Definitely a force in Horror publishing. I may have to read a story or two from Century's Best Horror Fiction today.

Comment

May he rest in peace.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I am reading Goon today. A novella that he wrote with Edward Lee in remembrance of this fine ambassador of horror. Definitely John will be missed

Comment

Very sad to see this yesterday; I’ll miss our periodic discussions. His sharp editorial work provided me immense pleasure, and his non-fiction essays/columns made me a far more informed member of the genre (and was even a bit of an inspiration for my own Centipede Press column). He was a wealth of knowledge and tremendous advocate for the genre, and his presence will be missed.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

RIP John. Many great conversations and trades with John. I didnt find out until today.

Mulleins
            I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Very sad to hear this, just reading it on this forum. John accepted a few of my stories for the mass market DARK SIDE anthology series, some of my biggest sales. We did a reading together at Horrorfind, and it might have been my first appearance there as a guest author. It was a great pairing for me as a new writer and we hit it off very well. We lost contact over the years, talking infrequently, and he was a huge force as an historian and advocate of the genre. He put thousands of hours into researching and editing to bring classic gems to print. Midnight House is one of my favorite publishing imprints, both the classic material and great artwork. RIP John.

Comment

Working...
              X