Rick Hautala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Hautala

Just logged on and saw news of Rick Hautala's passing. He died today of a heart attack. He was an author I discovered through Cemetery Dance. I quickly became a big fan of his work. After I had posted some positive comments about his writing on a bulletin board he actually emailed me and sent me a personalized copy of The Wildman. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

That's really too bad. RIP Rick.

A couple of weeks ago, David Silva passed away also.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Don't forget about James Herbert. Rough week for horror

Comment

Wow! I just found because of this thread. Sad day. Haven't had the chance to read any of this stuff, but I do plan to. RIP Rick

Comment

Brian Keene wrote a touching piece about Rick on his site. http://www.briankeene.com/?p=13740
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I've been collecting links to tributes to Rick. Lots of great words being written about him. You can find them on Rick's site:

http://www.rickhautala.com/2013/03/21/rip-rick-hautala/

Hunter

Comment

Wow what a horrible couple of weeks. So sad to hear this news. I to discovered Rick' s work through CD.
              My first book by him was Four Octobers
              .This is truly a sad sad week.

Comment

Sad news indeed
                If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

I've only read his two CD short fiction volumes, but he is a talent that will be missed.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Very sad news indeed. Rick Hautala is an author I've been meaning to check out, but just haven't had the chance. Next book order I'll make will have one of his books, any suggestions? I've heard the White Room is supposed to be one of his best.
                    RIP Rick.

Comment

Very sad news on all three for sure. I didn't know James Herbert but was a longtime fan of classic horror novels of his like THE RATS, THE FOG, THE SPEAR, THE SURVIVOR, etc.

Dave Silva has long been a big influence on me and Dark Discoveries magazine. I just started to get to know Dave in the past 8 months or so and we really hit it off. He asked me to co-edit an anthology with him and we made progress on it before his untimely passing. I'm planning on completing it in his honor and a number of editors like William Nolan, Mark Rainey, J.F. Gonzalez and even CD's Rich Chizmar are on board for it. We're also running some tributes for Dave in this forthcoming issue of DD (#23).

Rick Hautala and I have emailed a few times over the years and met a couple of times in person (and he was in DD a couple fo times as well). He was a super cool guy and one of the good ones for sure. I'm planning on doing a focus on both him and Herbert in some form or another in issue #24 of DD.

Too young for all three (all under 70 years old at 67, 62 and 64 respectively). Very sad and they all made a big impact on the Horror genre!

- James
                      http://darkdiscoveries.com

Comment

James:

Well said.... Dave was my best friend--and editor--from the start in 1983, writing for the Horror Show, till 1988 when we fell out (my fault). We reconnected briefly in 2003, and Dave forgave me my irrational behavior. He and Jerry (J.N.) Williamson literally made it possible for me to begin a career. Rick Hautala sent me, for review, giant typescripts and, later, signed copies of his early novels. Never did get to know James Herbert (though wrote to him with an interview request), but love his work. Waaaay too young for all 3, dammit! Rest well, dear friends....

Bill Grabowski
                        Last edited by William J. Grabowski; 04-13-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X