The Race:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Race:

So Subterranean Press and Cemetery Dance have announced New King Limited editions less than two weeks apart. Both publishers sold out of the Limited and Lettered editions the first day.

Who will sell out of the Gift Edition first?
    Who will publish the Gift Edition first?
    Will either sell out pre-publication?

Comparisons

Subterranean Press:
    The Shining
    Announced: 01/23/2013
    Sold Out 12/29/2013
    Cost: $95.00
    Print Run: 1,500

Cemetery Dance:
    Dr. Sleep
    Announced: 02/04/2013
    Sold Out: 02/11/2013
    Cost: $95.00
    Print Run: 1,750
    Last edited by Martin; 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM. Reason: Update

I think it's all an evil conspiracy to not only take outr money, but our souls as well.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      I think it's all an evil conspiracy to not only take outr money, but our souls as well.
      See we already have those the first time you bought a limited from us and decided you where hooked.

(you actually signed them away with that checkout button)
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

My wife would agree with you!
        Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        See we already have those the first time you bought a limited from us and decided you where hooked.

(you actually signed them away with that checkout button)

Comment

I'm hoping you still have the Gift Ed. of The Shining by the 11th or so since I have to wait that long to pay for it. I know you can read DS and don't really need The Shining to go with it, but I feel I must have an edition of that book. If you guys sell out I'll have to go to Sub's site.

Comment

Well Doctor Sleep, with more copies printed, and announced later sold out first.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Well Doctor Sleep, with more copies printed, and announced later sold out first.
              I think more people are fans of CD, or like their quality more than SP. I think it also hurts SP that they don't have any artwork posted, which is just bad practice on their part in my opinion. I don't think you should start sales of a major book like The Shining without showing the cover at least, especially when using a comic artist for your serious novel. I know a comic artist could do fine with a novel and not make it look much like a comic/graphic novel.

I think another big issue is that Doctor Sleep is a NEW story, whereas The Shining has been around a long time. That combined with CD being the publisher of Doctor Sleep is the biggest reason for it selling out first I think, despite being announced later and having a larger print run.
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

You would think that the classic story loved by so many would sell out first. I am getting both books. I like the art work in Locke and Key but I did not like it in nos4atu. At least the cover. Except for the Joker. I think the art work will be fine. I know that Glenn Chadbourne is the author of choice for SK books but I think other artists have done well. For me I think it is the manga look. I have never been a big fan of manga. I think it will be alright. As far as quality I have never had issues with CD or Sub Press. I hink both put out high quality books.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                  You would think that the classic story loved by so many would sell out first. I am getting both books. I like the art work in Locke and Key but I did not like it in nos4atu. At least the cover. Except for the Joker. I think the art work will be fine. I know that Glenn Chadbourne is the author of choice for SK books but I think other artists have done well. For me I think it is the manga look. I have never been a big fan of manga. I think it will be alright. As far as quality I have never had issues with CD or Sub Press. I hink both put out high quality books.
                  In my experience the new stories sell out much faster than reprints.
                  CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                  Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

And The Shining STILL hasn't sold out yet...
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I think we all know who won this race

Comment

Looks like Subterranean Press ha sold out The Shining Pre-Publication.

Comment

Nooooooo, I waited too long!

Nah, just kidding. Good for them. Should be out soon too, yippee!

Comment

Wow, finally? Congrats to them for accomplishing that though. Maybe I will try to pick a copy up one day, though likely not before I get a Cemetery Dance edition of Doctor Sleep!
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                            X