Planned reads for 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planned reads for 2013

There's gonna be a lot coming out next year, but it's about this time that I think about the stuff that's been on my TBRlist for a long time. 2011 was highlighted by my finally getting through War & Peace--which was very enjoyable for the 2 months I was reading it. 2012 was dedicated to finishing the last 4 King novels I had yet to read. 2013 is the year that I tackle another monster from my TBR: Don Quixote. That will probably also be a 2-month endeavor, so I'll leave it at that for planned reads. But I would also like to fit in a reread of King's short story anthologies.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

For 2013 I am most looking forward to NOS4A2. I am also looking forward to Joyland. I still have not tackled The Wind Through the Keyhole so I would like to get that one read.

Comment

The Terror and Drood by Simmons have been waiting impatiently to be read, so I must get to those. My TBR has gotten out of control! 20+ books waiting to be read and that's not counting everything on preorder from CD. I've made a resolution to start getting caught up next year. Bring on 2013!

Comment

Well, I don't know what exactly I plan to read in 2013, and my TBR pile is immense, so what I am going to do for now is list off several books I really want to get to. I will avoid books of short stories, anything by Stephen King (Several TBR titles by him), and will also avoid listing any books that aren't out yet or those I do not have right now, even if I have it on order right now. I have several on order that I am really wanting to read soon as well. I think I will also avoid listing any ARCs I have won from LibraryThing and Goodreads. Those I definitely plan to read so I give a fair and honest review/rating. The stuff in this list are books I wanna read on top of those (5 total so far, including a LT title I won a couple months ago)

Neverland - Douglas Clegg (This was one I planned to read in 2012 but never got around to it)
        Breeder - Douglas Clegg
        The Abandoned - Douglas Clegg
        Afterlife - Douglas Clegg
        The Children's Hour - Douglas Clegg
        Six Days - Kelli Owen
        Vampyrrhic - Simon Clark
        Vampyrrhic Rites - Simon Clark
        The Buffalo Hunter - Peter Straub
        Lullaby for the Rain Girl - Christopher Conlon
        Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn - Kealan Patrick Burke
        Master of the Moors - Kealan Patrick Burke
        Thirty Miles South of Dry County - Kealan Patrick Burke
        Sunborn - Jeffery A. Carver (Possible will wanna either continue waiting or reread the first 3 books in the series before tackling this one)
        Midnight Solitaire - Greg Gifune (Another I planned on reading in 2012 but didn't get to)
        Dominion - Greg Gifune
        Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill
        Sims - F Paul Wilson
        The Innswitch Horror - Edward Lee
        The Crossings - Jack Ketchum
        Ghoul - Brian Keene
        LeHorn's Hollow - Brian Keene
        Castaways - Brian Keene
        Dead Sea - Brian Keene
        The Rising - Brian Keene
        The Templar Salvation - Raymond Khoury
        The Wildman - Rick Hautala
        Down - Nate Southard
        The Dropper - Ron McLarty
        Hell House - Richard Matheson
        Baal - Robert McCammon
        The Colour out of Darkness - John Pelan
        Killing Ghost - Christopher Ransom
        Dexter By Design - Jeff Lindsay

And more even. Those also do not include any of the books that I have in the bedroom, just what is out here in the living room with me. Have a lot of books on the bookcases in the bedroom I still need to read as well, but my wife is sleeping and likely would not be happy if I woke her up trying to get a list of books, lol. I also did not include any books I have already read, so if I decide to reread anything, that would bump something else to 2014 most likely.

Looking at the list of books I have on preorder more than one of them will be read in 2013. I already know I won't have time to finish all those, espectially since some are definitely longer books. Maybe if I wasn't married I would be able to finish them all, but I doubt it since I have so many things on order and will be ordering more as money allows.
        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
        Spoiler!

Comment

Nice list!!

So here's mine: (subject to change, not final, certain terms and conditions may apply)

Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King
          Embassytown - China Mieville
          20th Century Ghosts - Joe Hill
          Dance With Dragons - George RR Martin
          Shivers VII

A bit short, but that was all I could come up with off the top of my head. I'll add more later when I browse through the TBR pile.

Comment

I'd like to get at most of my TBR pile, which is increasing rapidly.

Off the top of my head, I certainly want to read ( in no particular order ):

Nightmares & Dreamscapes - King
            Salem's Lot - King

I have several other King books to do as well, but want to get to those 2 for sure!

Looking forward to getting my first Shivers, once it is all done up and ready to ship in the new year

I have several Koontz books to get at, but those will probably get pushed back by other books

3 for sure reads I do plan on tackling early in the new year (if not get started before. ) is Killing Ghost, The Interrogator (short story collection), and The Bourne Identity.

Others that I want to get my hands on are the un-edited version of Off Season, by Ketchum... Ghost Story-Straub, and I also want to try a couple Dan Simmons books, namely Hyperion and Song of Kali.

Mind you, now that I have a Kobo e-reader, I hope to start accumulating some good e-books. Hopefully my friends at CD will have some more e-books in the pipeline (or e-book clubs?) for 2013.
            Last edited by TJCams; 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I'm reading The Interrogator now and I have to say it is a great collection! Some great stories in there!

Comment

On top of that, I am sure there will be lots of offerings from CD for 2013 as well. I've only been here since October, and as a result, my collection of reads has increased. So.....bring on 2013!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                  On top of that, I am sure there will be lots of offerings from CD for 2013 as well.
                  That's why I'm only putting one my Will Be Read list for 2013. I was debating between DQ and Les Mis, but DQ's been on my TBR longer.

Last year at this time, I got overly zealous and put about 15 books on WBR list for 2012. Never got around to the last eight (They would hve been rereads anyway).
                  Last edited by srboone; 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                    Nice list!!

So here's mine: (subject to change, not final, certain terms and conditions may apply)

Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King
                    Embassytown - China Mieville
                    20th Century Ghosts - Joe Hill
                    Dance With Dragons - George RR Martin
                    Shivers VII

A bit short, but that was all I could come up with off the top of my head. I'll add more later when I browse through the TBR pile.
                    I hope that's your order cuz I'm just finishing Full Dark, No Stars and I LOVE it. Except Fair Extension, That was boring. Was totally engrossed with 1922, Big Driver(My Favorite) and A good Marriage...all EXCELLENT stories.

Comment

I agree with your assessment of Full Dark. Fair Extension was decent but not great, the others are all great stories.
                      Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                      I hope that's your order cuz I'm just finishing Full Dark, No Stars and I LOVE it. Except Fair Extension, That was boring. Was totally engrossed with 1922, Big Driver(My Favorite) and A good Marriage...all EXCELLENT stories.

Comment

I agree about Full Dark, No Stars. Fair Extension was definitely the weak story of the bunch. I found that story to be just ok. Loved all of the others though
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Ok, here are some of the books I kept off my initial 2013 list. This list will start with the giveaway wins from LibraryThing and Goodreads. I will stll not list any of the big short story collections

The Devil of Echo Lake - Douglas Wynne (LibraryThing)
                          Lilith - Toby Tate (Goodreads)
                          Last Days - Adam Nevill (Goodreads)
                          Midwinter Blood - Marcus Sedgwick (Goodreads)
                          Exit Reality: A Ray Garret/Lifeline Techno Thriller - Robert S. Wilson (Goodreads)

Ordered books that will instantly be on my TBR for 2013

The Twelve - Justin Cronin
                          Pure - Julianna Baggot
                          The Exorcist: 40th Anniv. edition- William Peter Blatty
                          Vacation - Matthew Costello
                          I'm Not Sam - Jack Ketchum & Lucky McKee
                          Tyler's Third Act - Mick Garris
                          Homestead - James A. Moore
                          Dereliction - Ray Garton
                          Scavenger Hunt - John R. Little & Fatima Monteiro
                          Floating Dragon: 30th Anniv. - Peter Straub
                          Relic - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
                          The Circle - Bentley Little
                          October Shadows - Norman Partridge (If it actually is released in 2013, of course)
                          The Vampyricon Trilogy - Douglas Clegg (Hoping it is released in 2013)
                          Spoiler!

Comment

I think I'm just going to do a simple list, and go with 2 random books by the following since I'm a bit behind.

Stephen King
                            Dean Koontz
                            Richard Laymon
                            Ray Garton
                            Robert Jordan (haven't read the last 2 wheel of times yet)
                            Brian Lumley

Comment

I plan on rereading 4 past midnight and Strangers this coming year.

As for new reads
                              Bullettime
                              Swallowing a Donkeys Eye
                              Speaks the Nightbird
                              The Bighead
                              Red Sky
                              Only Child this was on my list last year and I did not get to it.
                              I also have a plan for the year to read 1 Brian Keene book a month.This should catch me up on all his stuff including new releases.
                              This past year I read 168 books. My goal for 2013 is 140.I plan on reading some of the longer books I have not got to during 2013.

Comment

Working...
                              X