New limited editions of Game of Thrones: What effect on previous one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New limited editions of Game of Thrones: What effect on previous one

For those who don't know.....Meisha Merlin, a now defunct publisher, did limited of Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings by George Martin. After that, Subterranean Press, did volumes 3 &4, but they were a different size. Now that Subterranean has announced they will do their own editions of Game and Clash to fit in line with their existing volumes 3 & 4, what effect do people think this will have on the value of the Meisha Merlin editions. Obviously I expect their value will go down, but will they hold no value? Personally, I think the art from Jeff Jones and John Howe is much nicer than the artists Subterranean got for Storm and Feast.

Anyway, I was just curious what people thought (at least on this topic anyway... )

I have never seen any of these limiteds, although I have collected -but not read- all four novels so far.
    I'd love to see some photos.

sk

Comment

I really don't think it will affect the value of the Meisha Merlin editions. I haven't seen those editions in person, but the pictures I have seen, wow man, they are a sight. I like the Sub Press limited editions, I got an S/L Feast and am trying to track down Storm. With sub press releasing the rest, I will eventually be able to get a full set, and I like that. OF course if the Merlin prices initially go down, I will be able to get those as well. All in all I think it's a win/win for the collector.
      -Chris Lason-

nerd alert
      gamertag : calason

Comment

I hope Subterranean gets better artists for 5-7 and 1-2. I have the Subterranean edition of 3 and 4, but never cared for the art in Storm. Seemed to childish/cartoonish.

Comment

Nothing sucks worse than bad art in a limited. I have one limited that has two artists in it... one great and one that looks like a 12 year old. I HATE the drawings by the other artist! I won't mention the book on here (it is not a CD book), but Brad, I know you have a copy.

I wouldn't think the "value" would change much... the Merlin one is still the first Limited Edition... but it could go down a bit... of course, almost all limiteds are suffering on the secondary market right now.

Comment

I think it was Charles Vess who did the art for the SubPress edition of Storm of Swords. I love his art in general, but was surprised that SubPress picked him for Swords because his art is so soft in tone. I'd think something more grim or epic in scale would be called for.
            www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
              I think it was Charles Vess who did the art for the SubPress edition of Storm of Swords. I love his art in general, but was surprised that SubPress picked him for Swords because his art is so soft in tone. I'd think something more grim or epic in scale would be called for.
              Maybe that was it Nik. I guess I didn't mind the art, but yes, it was definitely not in line with what I would expect for a George Martin novel.

Comment

The Subterranean A Dance With Dragons went wide early this morning (our time). Unfortunately, I was not selected for the lettered lottery, but I was lucky to grab a numbered edition.
                Both editions sold out within a couple of hours.
                Did anyone else here get lucky?

sk

Comment

Working...
                X