Reading Limited Editions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Limited Editions?

So, I've been doing a lot of retail therapy lately and have managed to build what I consider to be a pretty impressive collection pretty quickly. My question is, do people actually read these books? For example, I just received a copy of Legacies (BEAUTIFUL volume, and my first SK signature), and I'd really like to read it. If I do, will that "kill" the book? I also just ordered a limited of The Strain from Bad Moon Books, which I've never read before, and am wondering if I should also get the trade edition instead of reading the limited.

It's great to have all of these amazing books on my shelf, but I get them, open the covers half way and flip through them, then they just sit there because I'm afraid to touch them!

You won't ruin the book if your careful. If you can get a reading copy cheap I would do that, no point in taking the risk over a couple of bucks. *cough*There are also places to get the ebook versions for free if you look hard enough.*cough*

Personally I don't read my signed books if I can avoid it. Like you im afraid im going to ruin it and i've gotten close a couple times by getting too excited. There are a couple I have that don't have ebooks or cheap alternatives like paperbacks available, so I have to read those carefully.
    Last edited by Joe315; 06-01-2012, 02:47 AM.

Comment

You got me to order a copy of the strain btw.

Comment

I buy my books to read, even the s/ls. If I have more than one copy, including an ARC, I'll spend time reading parts of each!
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I read all my s/ls, but with the dust jacket off. Although, only at home, where they won't get damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by jigertz View Post
            So, I've been doing a lot of retail therapy lately and have managed to build what I consider to be a pretty impressive collection pretty quickly. My question is, do people actually read these books?
            It's great to have all of these amazing books on my shelf, but I get them, open the covers half way and flip through them, then they just sit there because I'm afraid to touch them!
            Of course I read my limiteds, including the lettered editions. Why would you be afraid to touch them? I can see this when you're only using these books as an investment and are definitely going to re-sell them in order to make a profit. But if you're a collector/reader, the most enjoyment you get out of your books is by touching and smelling (!) and reading them! I'd hate to just look at these treasures.

sk

Comment

Totally agree with you.I love my limited editions and read them.If not for some of the first grab bags I got from CD I would not know about some great authors.If I had just put the books on a shelf and never read them I would never have known how great some of these guys and Girls are.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely read mine. The quality is much better than the mass market hardcovers, so if you are careful they will look just as nice after you read them. I also take off the dustjackets when I read them so that I don't damage them. There are some I probably wouldn't read if I had another edition of. Doubt that I'll read my signed copy of the CD edition of IT, especially since I have the Gift Edition.
                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                Spoiler!

Comment

I am pretty new to all of this but my answer is a resounding YES! My first limited edition of any kind was CD's IT. I bought it A) because it's my all time fave King novel and B) because I wanted to read it again and enjoy the artwork while doing so. I agree with the above statement that I would only read this at home though and not travel. I have The Mailman as well and can't wait to re read that one! I posted a pic of my personally signed Tommyknockers awhile back and that book, while not a limited, is obviously near and dear to my heart and that has traveled to quite a few places and is pretty beat up, but the signature still looks great! I am not going to spend that much money on a book so it can sit and look pretty on a shelf. No offense at all to those that do that but the words inside are what truly matter. Although having those sigs inside does rock.

Comment

I take mine down to look at them quite frequently but I'd be afraid I'd drop one and dent the corner or tear a page or, even though I don't eat or drink while I read read anymore, somehow get food on the pages. That's me being neurotic I guess.

Comment

I certainly do. They just feel good, you know? Good heft. Nice pages.

I feel that if you only stick books on a shelf never to touch, you might as well collect Hummel figurines.

Comment

I haven't read many of my s/l, since I also have trade editions of most and read them. I've read some of them (naked and with clean, dry hands far from food and drink) and others are in the TBR list. But every one has been looked at with great care and love. Sometime I wish I had some kid gloves, just to keep fingerprints away.
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I read the s/l if no other options are available (ie: secretary of dreams 1 & 2). Oversized editions are great to look but a little heavy to be read in bed

Comment

Working...
                          X