jonah's collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jonah's collection

Hey guys. Thought I would just post up my Laymon collection. He is who got me into reading and this genre, and I have never read anything by him that I didn't love. So, anyway, this first pic is my Laymon Shelf.

So the pic is a little crooked... I never claimed to be a good photographer.

On top of the book self is a poster I found advertising the Headline Laymon releases. Also, that is the original painting by Alan M. Clark which was used as the cover for CD's Night in the Lonesome October (my favorite Laymon).

The first shelf (I need better bookshelves) is the Lettered editions put out by CD. There is also Ten Tales kind of stuck up at the top till I find out where I want to put it. The lettered edition of October Dreams is complete with pics and everything, but I don't have the artist's edition.

The second shelf is a couple more lettered editions followed by some of the harder to find S/L editions like The Wilds, A Writer's Tale, A Good Secret Place and some anthologies. The others on that shelf are all first editions, and other then the obvious S/L editions, the following first editions are signed: After Midnight, Alarums, Among the Missing, Bite, Blood Games, and Body Rides.

Love it!!! I haven't read much Laymon, but what I've read, I love. I hope you have In Laymon's Terms to go along with all these.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

You should take a close up picture of the slipcased Bad News for everyone who doesn't have one to see. It is my favorite slip case we've ever made, and sadly we can't duplicate it, as they only sell that material in ridiculously large quantities anymore.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

The third row continues with some more of the trade HC, and I think I have a couple book clubs in there, but I have at least a 1st edition of each of these. On this shelf, the following books are signed first editions: Darkness Tell Us, Endless Night, Fiends, Flesh, In the Dark, Island, One Rainy Night, Quake (x 2) Savage (Headline) and the Stake (Headline).

The fourth row is a mixture of Anthologies, ARC's, older paperbacks, every Fastbook that Laymon wrote, as well as a large majority of the original magazines where his stories appeared.

The fifth Row is just some of the Laymon books I have gathered up that are written in different languages. Not really worth showing a pic of.

Here is a layout of the chapbooks with a couple issues of the original Smoker's Blend published back in 71'. You don't see to many of these floating about.

(Have to do in increments )

Comment

On another shelf, you can see my Lettered editions of A Writer's Tale and A Good Secret Place poking out.

Then you also have my two copies of The Woods are Dark chapbook (print run of 26) and my copy of A Stranger's Arms.

I know there is still some I am missing, but the hunt is half the fun!

This is only my Laymon collection. I have several other publishers / authors that I collect, but that is for another time. Thanks for looking and I apologize to those that have already seen it before. There really aren't a whole lot of people around me that appreciate books the way I do, so I like to share with those who will appreciate.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your guys' collections.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
            You should take a close up picture of the slipcased Bad News for everyone who doesn't have one to see. It is my favorite slip case we've ever made, and sadly we can't duplicate it, as they only sell that material in ridiculously large quantities anymore.
            I should hopefully be getting a copy of this in the mail today (at least according to the estimated delivery), so I'll be taking pictures of mine as soon as I get it. Been wanting this one for a while, but always saw it selling for at least close to $400, which was more than I could afford to pay, but saw one for much cheaper on Ebay, went for it, and ended up winning it for a little under what I ended up entering as my max bid. I could probably turn around and sell it for a profit, but I don't plan on doing that right now, want to read it first at least, and if I ever need to sell it, then so be it I guess, got a great deal on it.

So if you don't want to take the book down off your bookcase johan, which I would understand, you don't have to
            Last edited by RJK1981; 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
            Spoiler!

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for sharing your awesome collection.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Well it figures that the day I get home around 11am and when I am expecting a package is the day that the mail comes earlier than it ever has before here that I know of, lol. Package came, but obviously it is too big for the apartment mailboxes, so have to pick it up from the post office. Looks like it'll be this weekend sometime when I get the pictures taken, hopefully will be able to do it tomorrow
                Spoiler!

Comment

Nice collection, thanks for sharing as I just love looking at other people's books! Maybe you can show a few of the special editions close up?

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                    Nice collection, thanks for sharing as I just love looking at other people's books! Maybe you can show a few of the special editions close up?
                    Absolutely. Let me know which ones you want to see up close and I would be glad to post some pics. That is the best thing about seeing others collections. I always get to see something I don't have up close. Love it.

My camera is charging now and I will get one of the Bad News Slipcase.

I will also snap some of my Ed Lee collection. It is not complete, but still took me a long time (and a lot of money... )

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Comment

Very nice; thanks for sharing!

sk

Comment

I forgot to say thanks for sharing. Very nice collection, wish I was able to get some of those myself, especially those traycased books.

Pictures of the Slipcased edition of Bad News will be up shortly in my collection thread
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                          Pictures of the Slipcased edition of Bad News will be up shortly in my collection thread
                          Yeah!
                          Looking forwards to this!!

sk

Comment

Here is the rarest book in my collection. It is a 1 of 1 so to speak, and I have found others really interested in it.

A while back, I got an Ed Lee manuscript. It was hand corrected and the only one of it's kind. An amazing tale called Haunter of the Threshold. Anyway, the pile was just sitting on my bookshelf when I saw someone post about their own project they got bound by Chris Hedges. Me having seen his work in the past and knowing how amazing he was at similar projects, I began to wonder what if... So I sent him an email one night. He jumped on it. Sent me back an email saying he was interested etc. Anyway, here is his own post from a different forum, describing it...

"...Jonah, contacted me about an Ed Lee manuscript he purchased a while back. He wanted to get it bound and had a really good idea about the design he wanted. He picked up on some of the descriptions that Ed used about creepy, old door knockers at the thresholds of doorways. So he took that imagery and wanted to bring it to life in the binding...so I went to work. :-)

Here's what we started with, a stack of paper--the manuscript that Ed Lee printed out--

Jonah went shopping for the perfect door knocker and came up with a winner. He found a solid brass, antique, creepy knocker. It's made in the image of a woman's face and when you manipulate the arm of the knocker the eyes move in her eye sockets. I couldn't have asked for anything better. That got mounted on the front cover of the traycase--

Creepy, huh? :-) So, now on to the meat and potatoes. I did an oversew on the manuscript, bound it in crimson goat skin and gold stamped the front cover and spine. Once the book was finished, I made a taycase with double thick boards. The cover is half bound with brown goat skin at the spine and papyrus for the front and back covers to give the look and texture of real, weathered wood--the idea here is to make it look like a door panel where you might find a creepy, old door knocker mounted. :-) Here's what we ended up with--

The trays are lined with a reptilian patterned imprinted felt--

Tom Moran was nice enough to let us use his artwork that he did for the book and I incorporated it into the interior binding. What was originally the signature sheet, I used as a declaration page.

And the rest of the illustrations were bound into the back of the manuscript, printed on fine linen paper--

And that's it! That's how it turned out. I'm really, extremely happy with the outcome and I think this one may have just entered into the top spot of my favorite bindings that I've done to date.

Hope you guys like it too!!!!

~C"

Anyway, I thought I would share this here, cause it is truly a rare one. Plus, I love it because I was able to see my own ideas actually come together. I will post more pics of my Ed Lee collection later.

thanks for looking.

Comment

the following pics are from my Ed Lee Collection

Here are some Lettered editions.

Here are some Chapbooks with a PB edition of Dead Cats Bouncing

Comment

Working...
                              X