srboone's collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummm, yeah, about that...

Well "meager" would be befitting for mine. But I have been actually planning to set up a thread. Was hoping to do it when I finally get a new place so I can set up some nice bookcases. Now I have two that are full, while the rest of my books are pretty much everywhere!

Comment

Pete, I'm the same way. Books everwhere, the good stuff in double rows straining the wood of the shelves, not much free time. But I've started and glad that I have. I think Mr. Wooten has said it before, but it's cool taking them out and getting closer again. And the books like the fresh air, after having been crammed on the shelves so long. So get started!
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I've even started filling the closet shelves with books and dumping clothes either on a chair or just somewhere where I see an empty space. the wife doesn't like this very much though!

Comment

Wait much longer, Pete and we'll start a PM campaign against you to keep your box full of hatemail til you do!
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Now we can't have that happening, can we?

Comment

That, my friend, is up to you!
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

No.But I will be the first to sign up if you don't start one soon.

Comment

I'm I already enlisting my army, Pete!

I WANT YOU!

it-39-s-friday-you-need-to-call-into-work.jpg
                  Last edited by srboone; 03-29-2012, 03:16 AM.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Yep, come on Pete, get with the posting program posthaste or we'll go postal on your postbox

Comment

Looks like I have no choice!

But then again, I've been looking forward to posting my collection, just need to get it a bit organized first.

Anyway, lets give this thread back to Squire now.

Comment

Thank you, Pete. I remember ordering books from across the pond on two occassions. One was Moorcock's Colonel Pyat Quartet from a bookshop in London--Took about a week and a half. Not bad, the most annoying thing was that they were sent in two packages, each arriving on a different day. But the first time I did was about 6 years ago from the Folio Society. Took about 2 months for it to arrive, but I wasn't too concerned. The reason I ordered from them was not for a specific book they had for sale, but for the free gifts I would get.

First, I wanted a set of Edward Gibbons' The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

DSCF1319.jpg

The front of the books; it an ivory marble design.
                        DSCF1321.jpg

The side of easch slipcase.
                        DSCF1325.jpg

Endpapers.
                        DSCF1323.jpg
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

What i really wanted though was a copy of their edition of Robert Graves' The Greek Myths I & II. A friend of mine had this set and that's what led me to the Folio Society. He said it had been his free gift when he joined. But the free gift was a pocket Oxford English Dictionary and Thesaurus. So I emailed them and said that the only thing preventing me from joining was that this was no longer available as the free gift so they agreed to send it to me instead. It's one of their most popular editions. It was in its 18th printing. Graves also wrote I, Claudius and Claudius the God, which I had just finished reading.

DSCF1347.jpg

DSCF1349.jpg

DSCF1351.jpg

DSCF1353.jpg

Graves was not an educated man, his knowledge of the Greek Myths came from his own research. But his GM 1&2 read like a scholarly treatise and are his way of explaining the myths. Very profound reading.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The problem with The Folio Society is that you are required to purchse 4 books immiately from them, then you are enrolled for 1 yrear with them (so you need to spend about $300-400 at a time); if you purchases four more books within that year, you are a member for another year. Or you can join again and get another set of free books (with appropriate purchases). But There really weasn't anything else I wanted from them. So I chose two books in the Greek/Roman history section.

DSCF1327.jpg

DSCF1329.jpg

DSCF1333.jpg

DSCF1331.jpg
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

DSCF1337.jpg

DSCF1341.jpg

DSCF1343.jpg

Endpapers are the same as The Histories.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Two, down two more to go. But I couldn't find anything I wanted on their website. So I settled for a 7x10 edition of Paradise Lost. I had quite a few copies of this work: Penguin Classics edition, Nortion Crititical edition, etc. But none with illustrations by the poet William Blake. Since it was an oversized volume, it counted as 2 selections. So I had my four.

DSCF1355.jpg

This illustation is also one of the 12 inside the book.
                                DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1359.jpg

DSCF1361.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

A nice volume, but one I picked up out of necessity, rather than a desire to own. In the end, The Folio Society books I got didn't make me want to purchase any more. But, even though I have unsubscribed several times to hteirquarterly news letter, I still receive it; I also get offers to rejoin regularly. Oh well...
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X