No announcement yet.

srboone's collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't consider myself an anime fan, tho I do have Akira and I do like the films of Hayao Miyazaki. But THIS is the craziest thing I've ever seen; nay, ever WANT to see. The "Hell on Earth" box set.

U1.jpg

along with it's sequel (which I saw first and is actually a pretty good film):

U2.jpg

Spoiler!
    Last edited by srboone; 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Now, in the set I bought, there were two other discs. Since these are divided into 45 min. chapters, I assume they were made for Japanese TV.

U3.jpg

U4.jpg

Now in each one of these story lines, there's a gap in the timeline which was confusing; I simply had to tell myself that "Ok, this must have happened and I missed it...somewhere." Come to find out, there's a 5-disc "Perfect" DVD collection out there that has the missing 2 episodes (one from each storyline). And the first two films were severly edited from The 3 Japanese originals. Sheesh! There went $90 (new). I gave up looking for it, but if it ever comes to BD, I'll probably get it.

I do like the "Warning: Absolutely Not For Children" tag on each disc! Most appropo.
      Last edited by srboone; 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Different Mr Boone, another side of you emerges from the darkness (Connie digs the Japanese anime stuff - although a little bit tamer - Gigli Studio stuff, mostly )

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
          Different Mr Boone, another side of you emerges from the darkness (Connie digs the Japanese anime stuff - although a little bit tamer - Gigli Studio stuff, mostly )
          Agreed.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

To be honest, I found some of Laymon's works to be just as shocking, so who's to say which is more disturbing?
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
              To be honest, I found some of Laymon's works to be just as shocking, so who's to say which is more disturbing?
              Very true. Just not my cup of tea when it comes to anime. Although you said you have Akira, that has to be one of the greatest anime's of all time.

Instagram

Comment

Anyway, Dan's new bookcase (and the fact that I need more room for books) got me motivated to do something I've spent years avoiding--reorganizing my movie collection and seeing how many more shelves I can free up. I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here is the result:

MOV.jpg

There are 794 DVD titles and 69 Laser Disc titles on these shelves. Plus a rack of old PS2 games I still like to play in the corner. The top three shelves of the first case are all Criterion Collection DVDs. The next two shelves are TV Movies and series. The bottom shelf are my Laser Disc movies. The next two book cases are the rest of my DVDs--alphabetized.

I think I've been able to clear off about six shelves for future storage (of course, that number will go down as I find more things in out-of-the-way nooks and crannies.) It's a start....
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

AWESOME Squire, just AWESOME - your movie collection is nothing short of stunning !!!!!

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Woot. This doesn't include the 50+ Blu-Rays I have upstairs (since that's where my players are).
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                      Very true. Just not my cup of tea when it comes to anime. Although you said you have Akira, that has to be one of the greatest anime's of all time.
                      Aside from Akira and the "imperfect" Urotsukidoji set, the only other anime I have is Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The Hayao Miyazaki films I have are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Aside from Akira and the "imperfect" Urotsukidoji set, the only other anime I have is Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The Hayao Miyazaki films I have are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.
                        All of those are very good. I don't watch to terribly many of the films, there are a couple tv series that I really like. Darker than Black and Eureka 7 are examples of two of the better ones that I've seen. They have complex / deep plots, and great character development. Although I do have to say that I'm one of those people that feel that anime is better in Japanese with subtitles than English dubbed. More often than not, the voice acting is very sub par in the dubbed versions, with only a few.

Instagram

Comment

Those are great! I love book shelves (movie shelves) -- they make a house a home.
                          "What shall I say when my lord comes a calling? What shall I say when he knocks on my door? What shall I say when his feet enter softly? Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor."

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                            Ghibli makes some pretty good stuff. I haven't watched much anime as of late, but I recently...uhhh, "acquired" Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic. I really like the game on the ps3 and when I saw the trailer for this I just knew I had to see it! It"s worth checking out!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                              Although I do have to say that I'm one of those people that feel that anime is better in Japanese with subtitles than English dubbed. More often than not, the voice acting is very sub par in the dubbed versions, with only a few.
                              Agree 100% Dan. I always watch any non-English film in subtitles the first time. But I do have to say that the voice acting for Princess Monoke was exceptional. I still prefer the original language version, but the dubbed version was quite good, too.

When I was stationed in Japan, one of the things I like to do was go to the movies and watch a Japanese film without subtitles. My friends thought I was crazy, but eventually I picked up on a few words and phrases repeated thoughout--though I never quite got the gist of everything I saw. But it sure was fun!
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Agree 100% Dan. I always watch any non-English film in subtitles the first time. But I do have to say that the voice acting for Princess Monoke was exceptional. I still prefer the original language version, but the dubbed version was quite good, too.

When I was stationed in Japan, one of the things I like to do was go to the movies and watch a Japanese film without subtitles. My friends thought I was crazy, but eventually I picked up on a few words and phrases repeated thoughout--though I never quite got the gist of everything I saw. But it sure was fun!
                                Back in the day when I watched an awful lot more anime than I do now, I was working my way through a series, which for the most part was all subtitled and in Japanese. Well at one point it switched to English, but still had the subtitles for one an episode. I didn't notice it was actually in English till about halfway through the episode.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X