• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    Amazing deal: congratulations!!!
    Shadowland might be my favorite Straub, together with Floating Dragon.
    Love those books.

sk
    I agree! I call Ghost Story, Floating Dragon, and Shadowland "Straub's Trilogy of Awesome"! Completely love those books. I actually have almost enjoyed all of Straub's work that I've read so far and in most cases, they get better with repeated readings. Pork Pie Hat is one that I liked quite a bit when I read it the first time, but was completely blown away by Straub's mastery over that tale the second time around. The only book that I didn't like when I first read it was Koko, but that was due to my expectations of the story; I had expected a supernatural story along the lines of his Trilogy of Awesome. Julia and If You Could See Me Now are both criminally underrated, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Thanks, everybody! I got stupid lucky with this purchase. Just goes to show that at no point should Ebay ever be considered a barometer for the "worth" of a book. I've seen books go for well under normal selling rate and others that went way over price as well. This one just happened to go my way.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    Damn that was a steal.

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    Amazing deal: congratulations!!!
    Shadowland might be my favorite Straub, together with Floating Dragon.
    Love those books.

sk

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Sometimes the book gods smile down upon you and you stumble across a book you've been trying to track down for a while and you get it at an awesome price. That's what happened with the latest acquisition, which I normally see go in the $150-$250 range. I was able to swoop this up off Ebay for $25!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17713[/ATTACH]
    Fantastic deal, congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Good lord, that's a good deal. ^^^ Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Sometimes the book gods smile down upon you and you stumble across a book you've been trying to track down for a while and you get it at an awesome price. That's what happened with the latest acquisition, which I normally see go in the $150-$250 range. I was able to swoop this up off Ebay for $25!

20160204_113822 (450x800).jpg20160204_113836 (450x800).jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I love Thunderstorms books!
    So do I. I love the distinct looks of each of their book lines and the little tweaks on each book; the different endpapers on each Black Voltage is a blast. The only downside is that their books aren't cheap. Not counting the chapbook line, their cheapest is the printed-on-boards version of the Elemental line for $30, but I think that version is going the way of the dodo. I prefer the leather version which runs about $60-$65. Their Black Voltage books are now up to $80. Couple that with how many books they publish--six in January/February combined--its hard to be a completist while on a budget. So I have to pick and choose what I get. Of course, if that's the worst of my problems, then I can't complain too much!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Theli View Post
    Very cool Kelly books!
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Very cool Kelly books!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Next up is the lettered edition of the new Ronald Kelly chapbook, Strong Steps:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17658[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17656[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17657[/ATTACH]
    I love Thunderstorms books!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Next up is the lettered edition of the new Ronald Kelly chapbook, Strong Steps:

20160201_140843 (450x800).jpg20160201_140911 (450x800).jpg20160201_140954 (450x800).jpg
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 02-02-2016, 12:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    A Mixed Bag of Blood by David Bernstein:

20160201_140734 (450x800).jpg20160201_140808 (800x450).jpg20160201_140822 (450x800).jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    So here is a few of my newest additions:

First, is the two latest books in Thunderstorm's Elemental line:

Mister Glow Bones by Ronald Kelly:
    20160201_140618 (450x800).jpg20160201_140655 (800x450).jpg20160201_140714 (450x800).jpg
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 02-02-2016, 12:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Thanks! The remarques offered by Thunderstorm are cool. They aren't super-elaborate or anything, but they only cost ten bucks so they add some fun and flavor for small cost.

The Straw Men lettered is one of my favorites, though A Simple Plan in the white leather is such an eye-catching book.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X