Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
      Love those magazine covers Siep, I recall reading a bunch of these issues back in the late 70's and early 80's - ah, the nostalgia
      What did you do with them? Some of these are quite collectible - others you can't even give away....

sk

Comment

Comment

The above (Gogos)Star Wars cover was the only painted (SW) one. In order to sell more copies (I guess) FM discarded the painted covers and began to use stills, from Star Wars to Alien to Close Encounters to whatever was popular in its day. Horrible. Much of the old magic was lost.

sk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
              What did you do with them? Some of these are quite collectible - others you can't even give away....

sk
              Alas, the ones that I had were given away by my first wife's uncle back in the mid-80's. We were on vacation in Canada (my first wife hailed from Chilliwack, BC) and he thought he's do a spring clean of our garage in our absence - and figured that a bunch of "comics" in a fruit crate must be junk, so he left them, and a slew of other stuff, out on the curb for council pickup. Needless to say, he and I had words upon our return to Australia

Comment

I loved this first run of FM. I could only dream about visiting the Ackermansion (FJA's Hollyweird home-turned-museum) till one day, in 1975, I was visiting Los Angeles, phoned Mr. Ackerman and was invited to come over and make my dream come true. Absolutely incredible to shake the hand of this legend, enter his home and tread these hallowed grounds....Room after room loaded with books, magazines, film props (Kong!! The robot Maria from Metropolis, a complete run of Famous Monsters, Bela Lugosi's Dracula ring...
                The best part was seeing FJA in the flesh, see him putting togehter the next FM, hearing his wonderful anecdotes.

Nostalgia indeed, Grant.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Wootton View Post
                  We were on vacation in Canada (my first wife hailed from Chilliwack, BC)
                  Aahhh, I lived in Abbotsford, B.C. and taught in Yarrow, a few miles from Chilliwack. Many of the kids that attended our school came from Chilliwack! Small world....

sk

Comment

I loved this first run of FM. I could only dream about visiting the Ackermansion (FJA's Hollyweird home-turned-museum) till one day, in 1975, I was visiting Los Angeles, phoned Mr. Ackerman and was invited to come over and make my dream come true. Absolutely incredible to shake the hand of this legend, enter his home and tread these hallowed grounds....Room after room loaded with books, magazines, film props (Kong!! The robot Maria from Metropolis, a complete run of Famous Monsters, Bela Lugosi's Dracula ring...
                    The best part was seeing FJA in the flesh, see him putting togehter the next FM, hearing his wonderful anecdotes.

Nostalgia indeed, Grant.

sk
                    That's a great story Siep, you're a lucky man - I've not met anyone famous, ever - although Stephen King visited Australia many years ago - not for a book signing, just to ride his motor bike around the country. I believe that he may have come up with the idea of Desperation?

Comment

Aahhh, I lived in Abbotsford, B.C. and taught in Yarrow, a few miles from Chilliwack. Many of the kids that attended our school came from Chilliwack! Small world....

sk
                      Indeed, it's a small world (my first wife lived in Rosedale, just outside of Chilliwack)

Comment

Enjoying a lazy, sunny Sundaymorning. Can't believe November is almost here.
                        Time for a King-update!

sk

Comment

U.K. and U.S. editions. And no, I'm not a completist (I believe..) so I don't own the the variant cover(s).

French edition:

Sweden:

Comment

Germany:

Comment

I just do not understand why this book is not more popular. It features three excellent authors and it's a handsome edition. One of the King shorts has never been published elsewhere, if I remember correctly.
                              I for one am really fond of it.

Signed- and trade edittion:

U.K.

Comment

U.K. [/B](one of the best ever!) and U.S. (one of the worst!) editions:

France:

Germany (yawn):

Comment

Working...
                                X