Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    R.e. the reduction, my guess is lack of interest in the UK to sustain 750 copies, especially if these UK editions appeared after the Sub Press set.

I have the Sub Press set, but have yet to read them. Typically I'll read my limiteds shortly after receiving them -- they don't linger long in my TBR pile as I tend to put a priority on them. These ones, however, I for some reason shelved them before I read them, thinking I'll just pull them off the shelf at some point and read them. But when my usual process of "TBR --> read --> shelve" is broken, I've found they don't seem to get read. Same thing happened with the last four Matthew Corbett books.

I do plan to read all of them soon, though, and have certainly learned my lesson about premature shelving.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Not familiar with the stories but the presentation is beautiful. Is there any story on why they reduced the print run after the first book?

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Very nice! I passed on the Sub Press Themis Files set - can't buy everything!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I remember really like the first book in the Themis Files trilogy from Sylvain Neuvel - Sleeping Giants. The next two weren't as good in my opinion, but I still enjoyed the series.

After the series ended, I recall tweet at Bill at SubPress that this trilogy would make a nice set of books to publish and what do you know - SubPress did publish a set. They also published a Murderbot collection after I tweeted at them. Pretty sure everyone owes me something for this . . ..

But I digress.

In addition to the standard trade 1/1 hardcovers, and the SubPress set, I now own the signed and numbered UK versions. I really like the whole presentation - from the matching covers, to the sprayed edges, to the matching black end papers. The whole set just looks really nice!

20210130_195600612_iOS.jpg20210130_195620317_iOS.jpg
    20210130_195656876_iOS.jpg20210130_195635304_iOS.jpg20210130_195646748_iOS.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    The Tremblay books were larger in size than I expected (that's what she said) - I only have one other Thunderstorm book and that's the Chizmar one from a year or two back.

I usually don't comment on "fancy" endpapers, but I really like the marbling on these. They look really sharp.

RonClinton - I've eyeballed that Folio edition of True Grit for ages now, but just never pulled the trigger on it. I may have to correct that soon. Of course, I did just learn that I owe $2k in taxes this year so that hurts.
    Thunderstorm is definitely the most creative company out there when it comes to end papers.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    The Tremblay books were larger in size than I expected (that's what she said) - I only have one other Thunderstorm book and that's the Chizmar one from a year or two back.

I usually don't comment on "fancy" endpapers, but I really like the marbling on these. They look really sharp.

RonClinton - I've eyeballed that Folio edition of True Grit for ages now, but just never pulled the trigger on it. I may have to correct that soon. Of course, I did just learn that I owe $2k in taxes this year so that hurts.
    Yeah, those Tremblay books are beautiful, the usual high-quality job from Paul @ Thunderstorm.

I've eyeballed that TRUE GRIT volume for probably two years, but like you just never pulled the trigger on it. Got close a couple times, but backed away from the keyboard...finally had enough of lusting after it and reading all the glowing reviews and articles on Portis' work, and when I received a $10 discount code, that was enough to push me off the fence. 'Course, with my luck, after waiting two years now Suntup will probably do a lovely AE of it that'll blow Folio's very attractive edition out of the water, but...

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    True Grit was good. I'd never read it, and just got the e-book a few months ago.

Let the Right One In and a signed 1st edition of Harlan Ellison's Approaching Oblivion arrived today. I had my Suntup books sandwiched between King and Ellison, but I've run out of room. Again.

I have a few more Ellison books on the way, so it's time to rearrange things.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Thanks. I like the idea of reading in style as well. It's much more fun that way.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Let me know if you can't find it. I have a trade-paperback of it that I bought intending to read, before throwing caution to the wind and ordering the deluxe Folio edition so as to read it in style.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Congrats. The Tremblay books look very sharp.

On a side note I thought I had purchased a copy of True Grit but don't see it anywhere.
    Let me know if you can't find it. I have a trade-paperback of it that I bought intending to read, before throwing caution to the wind and ordering the deluxe Folio edition so as to read it in style.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats. The Tremblay books look very sharp.

On a side note I thought I had purchased a copy of True Grit but don't see it anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Just received the new Paul Tremblay set from Thunderstorm Books, and in fact featured it today on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...875872257?s=20

Also received IN THE SHADOWS OF MEN, the S/L HC from Robert Jackson Bennett, published by Subterranean Press. Got it at a sweet deal on one of their recent blowout/ding (no dings on this one) sale. I don't believe I've ever read Bennett, but the idea of a haunted, desolate motel with historical overtones sold me immediately upon its announcement...glad to finally have it.

I ordered the Folio Society edition of TRUE GRIT a week or so ago, and it should be here in a few days, according to the tracking. Looking forward to it...it's an American classic, some say THE American Classic, and I've never read it. I decided it was time to remedy that, and this is a gorgeous edition in which to do it. Here's a great video featuring the Folio edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjytUxI6biY

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I had the option to choose the blue, but mustard is what I had in my hand and I think it looks great. Like you, the blue looked better in the initial photos, plus I just love blue.

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Stardust looks very nice. The speckling is cool and the marbling and orange/mustard looks very sharp. Congrats!
    In the pre-order photos, I greatly preferred the blue to the mustard. But having both in hand, the mustard really looks great in person.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Stardust looks very nice. The speckling is cool and the marbling and orange/mustard looks very sharp. Congrats!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X