No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got myself a copy of Do What You Want: The Story of Bad Religion, signed by the band! I'm still bummed that their tour got cancelled this year. Would have been such a short drive (ten minutes)...

https://youtu.be/kWirZnwKPPM

Disclaimer: this video was actually recorded this past weekend, under my previous lighting setup. I apologize if it's a bit dark.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
      The Night Circus was author Erin Morgenstern's debut release. From what I gather it was really well received. It's been given the deluxe book treatment once. This may be a second edition, I don't care. I'm happy I get the deluxe treatment version.

~Cap
      What version did you manage to get? The only one I was aware of was the Easton Press version.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

What version did you manage to get? The only one I was aware of was the Easton Press version.
        That's the one. I was surprised the cost wasn't more. I was wondering--Maybe EP found some copies in a storeroom? ~Cap
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I found at the Mysterious Book Shop The Pickle Index by Eli Horowitz. It consists of two slim hardcovers, Snacks and News housed in a medium sized slipcase. Snacks has some circus stories. The Pickle Index was published by Sudden Oak Books.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I have considered getting this book for a long while. I just never found one that hit my price point. I’m glad I waited and found this one. It’s what I’ve called in the past, an out in the world copy. You can tell it has been lovingly used. To make it even more interesting, it was part of Glen Lord’s Library. Lord was the literary executor for the estate of Robert E. Howard, which is very cool, because I’m also a huge Howard fan. The book is in super good shape and I picked it up on Ebay for $30.00. Worth every penny to me.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sure, it’s seen better days, but that’s a great item with a cool provenance...congrats!
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks Ron!

Comment

Of interest to probably no one here -- but is an author I'm starting to explore -- I received a signed HC 1st of Fredrik Backman's new one, ANXIOUS PEOPLE. Splurged a bit and bought a few days ago the signed Easton Press HC of Backhman's A MAN CALLED OVE...it's on it way to me.

Also picked up the latest LITTLE BOOK by Sarah Pinborough.

Also received Matt Haig's new one in its signed/numbered/slipcased format, THE MIDNIGHT LIBRARY...a book I'm almost finished with that does not come recommended, unfortunately, which is the first Matt Haig book I can say that about.

Also picked up a used tpb of Caitlan Starling's THE LUMINOUS DEAD...been curious about it since it came out (and it gets pretty good reviews), and saw a half-price copy at HPB a couple days ago.

Also did a Buy-It-Now for both TALES FROM GREYSTONE BAY and HE'LL COME KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR by Robert McCammon. Both S/L HCs (not the trades) in Fine/Fine condition at very low prices...love it when that happens. They're on their way to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Of interest to probably no one here -- but is an author I'm starting to explore -- I received a signed HC 1st of Fredrik Backman's new one, ANXIOUS PEOPLE. Splurged a bit and bought a few days ago the signed Easton Press HC of Backhman's A MAN CALLED OVE...it's on it way to me.

Also picked up the latest LITTLE BOOK by Sarah Pinborough.

Also received Matt Haig's new one in its signed/numbered/slipcased format, THE MIDNIGHT LIBRARY...a book I'm almost finished with that does not come recommended, unfortunately, which is the first Matt Haig book I can say that about.

Also picked up a used tpb of Caitlan Starling's THE LUMINOUS DEAD...been curious about it since it came out (and it gets pretty good reviews), and saw a half-price copy at HPB a couple days ago.

Also did a Buy-It-Now for both TALES FROM GREYSTONE BAY and HE'LL COME KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR by Robert McCammon. Both S/L HCs (not the trades) in Fine/Fine condition at very low prices...love it when that happens. They're on their way to me.
                    The recent talk on Backman here has me thinking about finally jumping in and reading A Man Called Ove. I really did not need to know that there was an Easton Press edition of this book.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The recent talk on Backman here has me thinking about finally jumping in and reading A Man Called Ove. I really did not need to know that there was an Easton Press edition of this book.
                      The Easton of OVE was definitely an impulse buy, based solely on my very positive reaction to OVE, but one I don’t regret at all...it’s one of those books that remind you just how special and emotional an experience reading a book can be. Thus far, based only on a cheap tpb reading of OVE, I’ve splurged on a deluxe signed Easton of it and ordered two other Backman books (a signed HC 1st of ANXIOUS PEOPLE and a 1st HC of BRITT-MARIE WAS HERE) with, I suspect, more to come. I just hope the others measure up to OVE. Was OVE perfect? No, but it was perfectly wonderful.

Comment

The Easton of OVE was definitely an impulse buy, based solely on my very positive reaction to OVE, but one I don’t regret at all...it’s one of those books that remind you just how special and emotional an experience reading a book can be. Thus far, based only on a cheap tpb reading of OVE, I’ve splurged on a deluxe signed Easton of it and ordered two other Backman books (a signed HC 1st of ANXIOUS PEOPLE and a 1st HC of BRITT-MARIE WAS HERE) with, I suspect, more to come. I just hope the others measure up to OVE. Was OVE perfect? No, but it was perfectly wonderful.

I hadn't realized that Easton Press had done Ove! Now I'll have to be on the lookout for that one as well.

I just purchased a copy of Easton Press' edition of American Gods, and I'm still debating getting a copy of The Night Circus.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

I hadn't realized that Easton Press had done Ove! Now I'll have to be on the lookout for that one as well.

I just purchased a copy of Easton Press' edition of American Gods, and I'm still debating getting a copy of The Night Circus.
                          Folio’s edition of Charles Portis’ TRUE GRIT is the one I keep going back to...have come close to pulling the trigger on it at least a dozen times, and for some reason continue to hold off. Reportedly THE modern Great American Novel, I’ve never read it, though have seen the movie. But the book with its unreliable narrator is supposed to be far richer, nuanced, and more complex than the film, obviously, and deals with themes of coming-of-age, revenge, growing old and obsolescence, etc.…really need to get my hands on this one.

If anyone’s interested in seeing pics of this attractive volume:

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/true-grit.html

Comment

True Grit is a great Book!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                              True Grit is a great Book!
                              At some point I will have to read that one.

Comment

Folio’s edition of Charles Portis’ TRUE GRIT is the one I keep going back to...have come close to pulling the trigger on it at least a dozen times, and for some reason continue to hold off. Reportedly THE modern Great American Novel, I’ve never read it, though have seen the movie. But the book with its unreliable narrator is supposed to be far richer, nuanced, and more complex than the film, obviously, and deals with themes of coming-of-age, revenge, growing old and obsolescence, etc.…really need to get my hands on this one.

If anyone’s interested in seeing pics of this attractive volume:

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/true-grit.html
                                Personally, I usually wait for their sales. They occasionally give out a free book with purchases. Even if I don't necessarily save any money, free surprise novels are always a plus!

Comment

Working...
                                X