Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theli View Post
    Very nice list, many there I recognize and a some I don't, like "Ex-Private X". I do like Folio editions, they're a nice edition for a good price.

Thanks Mike!
    NP. They do a nice product.

Comment

Tonight when I arrived home from work, my wife told me "there's a BIG box from Cemetery Dance for you".
      The End of 2017 Grab Bag. No need for photos - you all probably know what they look like. But for what it's worth, here's how I did,

I'll Bring You The Birds From Out of The Sky (SL). Very excited about this one. I almost bought it the other day but remembered that I had a couple of grab bags coming.
      The Dark Man - King Slipcased Trade. One of the only King titles that I don't own, and I have vacillated over this one. It's not a real book, is it? But the CD elves made the decision for me.
      Gwendy. - Third printing. This is interesting. I already own a First printing and slipcase, but due to a shipping mishap from CD, I had a spare slipcase. Now I have a book tht fits the slipcase exactly. I might sell it if I can get organised. More importantly, my OCD side is not so bothered about that empty slipcase.
      Murder as a Fine Art - David Morrell (PC version of the signed limited). Nice. I haven't read any Morrell since the eighties, but it's a nice book.
      Backshot by Tom Piccirilli (SL). I know nothing about this but it looks promising. The sort of thing I expect in a grab bag.
      4 Stories (SL chapbook). Cool (not counted in the 10)
      Sleeping Beauties - Scribner. I already have this edition, which brings me to;
      The Handyman - Little. Ditto.
      The Fifth Heart - Dan Simmons - Subterranean SL Slipcased. My first SubPress book I think. It's beautiful.
      The Fireman - Joe Hill. I really like this book. I have a nice little Joe Hill collection including a first of the Gollancz Fireman. Well now I also have a signed Harper Collins edition, and a signed numbered slipcased version from PS Publishing to go with it. I have almost bought the PS version a few times, but resisted. I'm a long way from Brian861's JH shelf, but...

So I am very, very happy with my haul.

Comment

Great haul, HB! And yes, I might be a tad obsessed with JH . Curious, is The Handyman the Graveyard Edition?

Comment

No Brian, it's the Trade Hardback. I would have been very happy with the Graveyard Edition, but I seriously doubt that's grab bag material.
          And remember that the people on this board admire and understand your obsession.

Here's something to make you feel superior - my paltry Joe Hill collection.
          IMG-3174.jpg

And here's the whole bookshelf - - the parts that aren't obscured, anyway.
          IMG-3176.jpg

Comment

You've got the JH basics covered for sure and I don't have nearly any King books to speak of. I moved away from his 1st/1st with a few excepts. My goals as far as King will be signed and limiteds down the road, but not a priority whatsoever. Main focus is shoring up my Hill collection and moving forward with the branches off my collection tree. Some would probably say odd that my main focus isn't King but my interest just doesn't lie there for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
              Some would probably say odd that my main focus isn't King but my interest just doesn't lie there for the moment.
              Probably only those at TDT.org, for the most part...in general, most horror-fiction fans I know are much more diverse in their reading likes and collecting preferences. It seems like only the very casual reader on the street for whom "horror" means "King" and only "King" and the hardfast TDT King fantatic see King in that way. The other other half+ of us see King as only one option of many and put King, to be frank, way down the line. For me, since 1990 I've only really liked four* of his full-length novels -- in 27 years, four novels -- so that's not a particulary good average; in fact, there are a number of them I haven't even tried to read as they simply don't appeal to me, and disappointing reviews I've read of them don't suggest my instincts are wrong. I won't go so far as to say that King is overrated as I get why some folks really like his work, but for me and others like me he is definitely not the focus of our horror reading.

So wear your non-King focus with pride, Brian...you're in good company.

* In case anyone cares, they are THE GREEN MILE, UNDER THE DOME (probably the least of the four), 11/22/63, and JOYLAND.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

* In case anyone cares, they are THE GREEN MILE, UNDER THE DOME (probably the least of the four), 11/22/63, and JOYLAND.

I'm curious to know which ones you've passed on. I'd add Cell, Gerald's Game, Lisey's Story, DT IV, and Wind Through The Keyhole to that list.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  I'm curious to know which ones you've passed on. I'd add Cell, Gerald's Game, Lisey's Story, DT IV, and Wind Through The Keyhole to that list.
                  I passed on THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, the various Dark Tower volumes (though I do plan on revisiting this entire saga and re-reading it (read the first three volumes back in the day)), BLACK HOUSE, CELL, FROM A BUICK 8, LISEY'S STORY, MR. MERCEDES (and the other two installments of the trilogy), and REVIVAL. All the others I've read, though a few went unfinished. The only four I came away with a very positive attitude about were the four listed above.

Comment

I passed on THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, the various Dark Tower volumes (though I do plan on revisiting this entire saga and re-reading it (read the first three volumes back in the day)), BLACK HOUSE, CELL, FROM A BUICK 8, LISEY'S STORY, MR. MERCEDES (and the other two installments of the trilogy), and REVIVAL. All the others I've read, though a few went unfinished. The only four I came away with a very positive attitude about were the four listed above.
                    I wish I would have passed on Revival. That book just made me angry. I never hated a King book before. I've liked some more than others, but I never hated any.

Comment

Probably only those at TDT.org, for the most part...in general, most horror-fiction fans I know are much more diverse in their reading likes and collecting preferences. It seems like only the very casual reader on the street for whom "horror" means "King" and only "King" and the hardfast TDT King fantatic see King in that way. The other other half+ of us see King as only one option of many and put King, to be frank, way down the line. For me, since 1990 I've only really liked four* of his full-length novels -- in 27 years, four novels -- so that's not a particulary good average; in fact, there are a number of them I haven't even tried to read as they simply don't appeal to me, and disappointing reviews I've read of them don't suggest my instincts are wrong. I won't go so far as to say that King is overrated as I get why some folks really like his work, but for me and others like me he is definitely not the focus of our horror reading.

So wear your non-King focus with pride, Brian...you're in good company.

Very good point, Ron about TDT.org and fans. Plus you can collect a lot of more things with the same money that one S/L King item would cost you. For me personally, expense is a major contributing factor when it comes to collecting King. Outside of your run of the mill trades of course.

I never really considered King the King of Horror either. Most of his writings aren't horror based at all but more supernatural or ordinary people in extraordinary situations.

I agree with the four novels you listed, Ron but I'd replace Under the Dome with Duma Key. Duma Key, IMO, is the best novel King has written post Double Day/Viking years. I listen to Joyland on CD and loved that story as well. Again, a who done it with a supernatural element. I read the Bill Hodges trilogy but Mr. Mercedes was by far the best in the series. And Revival, ugh, don't get me started on that one. Lots of folks rave about that novel but I think that's probably my least favorite King novel to date. I only really liked book 2 and 4 in the TDT series.

Finished up listening to The Talisman awhile back and wasn't a huge fan of it. Currently listening to Black House and liking it better. I just don't make time to read anymore so listening is best for me.

King's new novel forthcoming, The Outsider, looks like it might be right up my alley though.

Comment

I really enjoyed early King, 'Salems Lot is my favorite, I think it's a classic. The Stand, Dead Zone, Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, He writes so much good Short fiction, Cycle of The Werewolf, Wow, Just love that one. Recently, I liked Joyland a bunch. I tend to avoid most of his Tomes, just don't have the time. I pretty much cherry pick what I collect of his, not a completest at all, too much other interesting stuff out there.

Comment

This year's End of the Year coup for me. The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein deluxe edition from Centipede. Quarter bound in crimson Chieftain goatskin with vellum panels. Accompanying suite of all illustrations as full-color prints, each individually signed by Harry O Morris. Limited to fifteen copies.

003.jpg
                          015.jpg
                          022.jpg
                          026.jpg
                          032.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                            I'd replace Under the Dome with Duma Key. Duma Key, IMO, is the best novel King has written post Double Day/Viking years.
                            I've tried twice to get into DUMA KEY...I make it about 100 pages in and then find my interest in it gone. No idea why...a lot of folks seem to love this book. Maybe someday I'll give it a third shot.

Daninsky: Wow, outstanding -- congrats on the coup...very, very nice!

Comment

I love colored page ends. I wish more publishers would do this. Not sure how much more it adds to the expense on both ends though.

Comment

Daninsky, way to finish the year strong LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X