No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a reading copy of The Fireman today for myself and a little Lovecraft for the kid:

IMG_2162.jpgIMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpgIMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpgIMG_2170.jpg

Comment

This weekend I got to introduce a dear friend and her husband to the wonder that is Tacoma Book Center. TBC is this amazing used bookstore in Tacoma that I feel is a secret, even from the locals. I also feel that it surpasses Powell's down in Portland. Fighting words I know, but I have found more treasures here that filled in holes in my collection.

This weekend was no different. I acquired a 10th printing of Carrie (yeah yeah, I now - but it's better than whatever printing I currently had,) what is probably the 3rd printing to The Shining (S14 in the gutter, so definitely an early printing at least,) and a pretty decent shape 1st printing of IT. Plus I found these - and I wasn't even looking for them - they were literally on the top of a bookshelf that just so happened to be in my line of sight. I have no idea why I even looked at this shelf, but there they were.

CjwXo9OUYAIrnaf.jpg

For those of you aren't familiar with these books, but these were written VERY early in Joe Lansdale's career, and recently published in a gorgeous collection from Subterranean. One of them doesn't even appear to have been read before. And only $3 each. I think they were a steal.

And then we went to The Red Hot for craft beer, gourmet hot dogs, and no jerks. Pretty sweet Sunday.

Comment

Sounds like a great day and a nice haul. Coincidentally just started my first Lansdale novel myself; a paperback copy of Cold in July I picked a couple of weeks ago at a used book store.

Comment

Got a few slip cases in today for Ready Player One and The Martian. Don't yet have a 1st/1st of RPO.

It's hard to tell but the lettering on the far left Martian is a holographic foil.

Last edited by Joe315; 06-01-2016, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Nice, Joe! Looks like some of Jeff's handy work .

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
              Nice, Joe! Looks like some of Jeff's handy work .
              Yep. He does great work.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                Yep. He does great work.
                Agreed.

Comment

My Best Of short story collection made a jump forward as these trickled in over the last week. Only 3 are limiteds, but for mostly excellent condition and a total of $200 I’m happy with how everything turned out.

SAM_5403.jpg
                  “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                  -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Nice, Andrew! Sub does put out a beautiful product. I always love most of their DJ art even if the book isn't for me. Did you get 'em on sale via dinged copies and such? They look really nice.

Comment

I noticed an ebay seller had 4 books I’d been looking at so contacted him with an offer on all 4 and we bargained and reached a deal, the Niven was an ebay listing that no one else bid on, Beagle was a Buy It Now, and the GRRM was me being lucky on Amazon and having no problem whatsoever removing a bookplate with no residue left behind.

The GRRM has a tiny bit of dirt on the bottom front of the text block which is tough to avoid on a 1200-page book without a slipcase, the Larry Niven has a fairly serious bump on the lower corner of the front board that was sold as NF++ that I’m not too happy with and haven’t yet decided if I should mark the seller, but probably would have bought it for $20 in a dinged sale anyway, and the Beagle book had a scuffed jacket but the DJ has no dents or notches. Otherwise everything else is pristine.

Only one of them is actually leather, but for 4,500 pages of SubPress-level career collections as a package it feels like a steal and will keep me busy for a long time. Sooner or later I'd like to review all of these.
                      Last edited by bugen; 06-05-2016, 08:17 AM.
                      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                      -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                        I noticed an ebay seller had 4 books I’d been looking at so contacted him with an offer on all 4 and we bargained and reached a deal, the Niven was an ebay listing that no one else bid on, Beagle was a Buy It Now, and the GRRM was me being lucky on Amazon and having no problem whatsoever removing a bookplate with no residue left behind.

The GRRM has a tiny bit of dirt on the bottom front of the text block which is tough to avoid on a 1200-page book without a slipcase, the Larry Niven has a fairly serious bump on the lower corner of the front board that was sold as NF++ that I’m not too happy with and haven’t yet decided if I should mark the seller, but probably would have bought it for $20 in a dinged sale anyway, and the Beagle book had a scuffed jacket but the DJ has no dents or notches. Otherwise everything else is pristine.

Only one of them is actually leather, but for 4,500 pages of SubPress-level career collections as a package it feels like a steal and will keep me busy for a long time. Sooner or later I'd like to review all of these.
                        First off, glad to see I'm not the only one that keeps odd hours . Second, looks like ya made out pretty well then. I'd probably contact the seller if the bump wasn't disclosed and at least see if maybe he/she would refund ya bit if you want to keep the book. I really dislike finding undisclosed issues as I'm sure most do. At if everything is disclosed, you can make a judgment as to what you're willing to live with and pay for.

Comment

I'll be posting lots of 'Salem's Lot AE edition pics in my collection thread. Want to give everyone a heads-up as to not spoil it for anyone who's still waiting on their copies.

Comment

Nice finds!

Comment

Very nice additions for a good price!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                                I'll be posting lots of 'Salem's Lot AE edition pics in my collection thread. Want to give everyone a heads-up as to not spoil it for anyone who's still waiting on their copies.
                                Too late, Brian...
                                I first had a look at your collection thread and saw a couple of great, great pics come by...
                                I tried to look away...tried really hard, and finally managed.
                                Congratulations on another wonderful addition to a wonderful collection!!

sk

Still waiting for my shipping notice....
                                Last edited by frik51; 06-05-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X