No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice adds. I almost purchased Beneath an Oil-Dark Sea just for the cover art alone! It's gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      I'll have to add pictures, but this afternoon brought a bigger than usual box from PS Publishing.

Inside was Skeleton Crew and the signed anniversary edition of Harlan Ellison's Ellison in Wonderland. Both are very sharp looking editions.
      I got those too. I'm really happy with the Ellison book. Not only did we get the additional book as part of the set, but Harlan went nuts updating his intro. Good stuff!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Very nice. If I hadn't already had all three DRIVE-INs in signed UK hardcover 1sts, I would have been all over that volume, given how much of a Lansdale and Centipede fan I am. Even as it is, I still kinda wish I'd sprung for it, even if was redundant (and I don't have shelf space for redundancy).
        I wavered back and forth on those editions, but could never find the first book at a "reasonable" price when I was building my Lansdale collection. I totally understand avoiding redundancy. The only duplicates I have are the Stealth and Sub Press editions of The Books of Blood. I just can't quit the Stealth omnibus, no matter how hard I try.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        Very nice adds. I almost purchased Beneath an Oil-Dark Sea just for the cover art alone! It's gorgeous.
        It is gorgeous. The cover to Two Worlds and In Between is also amazing.

Comment

Not the fanciest of pictures, but some quick shots of a few of the new books I've acquired.

First up - due to Mhatchett's comments on a different thread, I tracked down copies of Centipede's editions of William Lindsay Gresham's Grindshow and Nightmare Alley (I need some more possession in that sentence.)

I'm a little torn about these purchases, but I'll come to terms eventually. Gresham is an author that I've never heard of (and that seems to be the reoccurring theme with my Centipede purchases) and I probably paid too much for the editions I got, but they are beautiful editions. I was going to buy Grindshow from Centipede since they still listed $30 unsigned copies, but I wanted to ping Jerad first to see if he had any random copies of Nightmare Alley lying around. Scratched and dented, returned, signatures made no difference. He didn't, so I bought Nightmare Alley from Amazon (they had it for around $90 and immediately after purchasing, they jacked the price up to $225!!) So I went to buy Grindshow from Centipede - sold out. Damn. Managed to track a copy down from Ziesing Books because they had $60 signed copies. Figured fine, I'll get a signed copy (plus I was kind of expecting/hoping that Amazon would send a signed copy like they did the Blackwater series.) Imagine my disappointment that BOTH copies arrived unsigned. I checked back with Ziesing Books because they're site advertised their copies as being signed, but when they replied back, they apologized and said they bought up Jerad's last unsigned versions but never changed the site. (I can either send my unsigned copy back, or mention this goof-up on my next order and they'll take care of me then.)

So I'm torn - I spent $160 on two unsigned copies, but it's not like these things come up on eBay very often (if at all.) But they are beautiful and I'm excited to read them.

Anyways, here's the quick pictures:

IMG_8132.JPG
          Excuse the glare - Mylar covers and sunshine don't mix well.

IMG_8133.jpg IMG_8134.JPG
          A quick preview of some of the fascinating information and images contained int he introduction of Grindshow and the table of contents. (Oops - forgot to rotate the image before upload. I apologize.)

IMG_8135.JPG IMG_8136.JPG
          Quick look at the tarot theme and some the bonus material contained within Nightmare Alley.

While I struggle with getting into a lot of the noir style movies, I'm starting to dip my toes into the noir stories (and liking what I'm finding.)

Comment

Next up is PS Publishing's anniversary edition of Skeleton Crew.

I've been feeling a bit of regret by buying these anniversary editions because one, while nice, they aren't as nice (to me) as CD's or Sub Press's versions; two, they feel like a never ending purchase habit; and three, they haven't wowed me with any of the content or most of the art.

But for some reason, Skeleton Crew is wowing/impressing me more than the other versions. It just feels more substantial in my hands. I can't explain it.

The cover and fancy slipcase. I really like the skeletons that are all over it.
            And the signature sheet. I just realized that the ever-polarizing facsimile King signature isn't included. I also gave up trying to get matched numbers from PS so my collection is totally random.

And the illustrated end panels.

One of the things these anniversary editions do for me, is make me want to re-read these books. I couldn't tell you the last time I read Carrie, for example. Okay, it was in high school. I remember getting it from the town's library. Not sure if that was my first King book though . . .

Comment

And last but not least - also from PS Publishing - the anniversary edition of Harlan Ellison's Ellison in Wonderland.

I think I've mentioned this waaaaay earlier in this thread, but Ellison has always been an author that my life has crossed with, but one that I never read. I still remember watching a documentary on comic books (Comic Book Confidential?) and there was this guy bragging how everyone was his good friend. My friends at I laughed at that because who was this Harlan Ellison guy.

As I got older, I realized that he wasn't humble-bragging - he truly was a good friend with basically everyone. And that "everyone" included artists and writers and musicians and actors - lots of different people who have become parts of what makes me me.

But I still never read anything he wrote. I managed to a get a copy of the trade version of Top of the Volanco (lovely collection by Sub Press and a great introduction to Ellison's writing) so I was finally able to read something he wrote. And since then, I've been casually grabbing signed copies from eBay and random reading copies of other collections at book stores.

When PS Publishing mentioned doing an anniversary edition of Ellison in Wonderland, I was interested, but afraid that the short print run (200 signed copies) would make it impossible (or just extremely difficult to acquire,) but I was ultimately able to get one directly from PS. (Although, this is more of a definitive edition and less of an anniversary edition.)

The signed version is slipcased and included a bonus book called Pebbles from the Mountain.

IMG_8141.JPG
              Pebbles on the left, Wonderland on the right, and the illustrated slipcase in the middle for both books.

IMG_8142.JPG IMG_8144.JPG
              The signature sheet, and the table of contents from Pebble . . .

IMG_8145.JPG IMG_8146.JPG
              The two pages of table of contents from Wonderland.

IMG_8143.JPG
              Foldout pages are hard to photograph - but in the middle of Wonderland, is an eight-panel foldout featuring covers from different editions of Ellison in Wonderland.

Comment

Awesome editions! Congratz!
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

(ignore the Christmas tree in the background - no judging!)

Today was a big book day for me -

First, Subterranean Press's edition of China Mieville's Three Moments of an Explosion:
                  IMG_8286.jpg

I've never read anything by him so I'm excited to give him a whirl. This proves to me why I love short story collections because it gives me an easy way to sample a writer. I do realize that he's kind of polarizing in the love him/hate him sense, so I'm interested in what I ultimately think. (I am a huge sucker for Dave McKean covers it seems.)

And lastly, I'm slowing acquiring Robert McCammon books, and while the limited editions are out of my price range right now (unless I stumble onto more $50 editions like I did Blue World . . .) I'm stuck with just trade editions.

Saying that, I did find first editions - autographed even! - for cover price, and very reasonable shipping. So a big box of McCammon books arrived today that I'm hoping to get to by June at this rate. I haven't read anything from this series, but like the above book, I'm excited to read these.

IMG_8288.JPG IMG_8287.JPG
                  I'm unsure what edition Speaks the Nightbird is - I don't see any obvious notations inside, and Queen of Bedlam is a 4th printing paperback (I've been advised to stay away from the hardcover version due to quality issues unless I'm really wanting a 1st/1st.)

Hmm, there should have been a box from CD today as well (actually, due yesterday,) but it seems like North Caroline has eaten it. Fingers crossed it's not lost.

Comment

(ignore the Christmas tree in the background - no judging!)

Today was a big book day for me -

First, Subterranean Press's edition of China Mieville's Three Moments of an Explosion:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]17588[/ATTACH]

I've never read anything by him so I'm excited to give him a whirl. This proves to me why I love short story collections because it gives me an easy way to sample a writer. I do realize that he's kind of polarizing in the love him/hate him sense, so I'm interested in what I ultimately think. (I am a huge sucker for Dave McKean covers it seems.)

And lastly, I'm slowing acquiring Robert McCammon books, and while the limited editions are out of my price range right now (unless I stumble onto more $50 editions like I did Blue World . . .) I'm stuck with just trade editions.

Saying that, I did find first editions - autographed even! - for cover price, and very reasonable shipping. So a big box of McCammon books arrived today that I'm hoping to get to by June at this rate. I haven't read anything from this series, but like the above book, I'm excited to read these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17589[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17590[/ATTACH]
                    I'm unsure what edition Speaks the Nightbird is - I don't see any obvious notations inside, and Queen of Bedlam is a 4th printing paperback (I've been advised to stay away from the hardcover version due to quality issues unless I'm really wanting a 1st/1st.)

Hmm, there should have been a box from CD today as well (actually, due yesterday,) but it seems like North Caroline has eaten it. Fingers crossed it's not lost.
                    Very nice. Regarding Speaks the Nightbird, I think there was only one printing of the hardback edition so what you have is most likely the first.

Comment

Sweet - thanks!

I kind of thought (hoped) that that was the case but want sure.

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                      Very nice. Regarding Speaks the Nightbird, I think there was only one printing of the hardback edition so what you have is most likely the first.

Comment

And last but not least - also from PS Publishing - the anniversary edition of Harlan Ellison's Ellison in Wonderland.

I think I've mentioned this waaaaay earlier in this thread, but Ellison has always been an author that my life has crossed with, but one that I never read. I still remember watching a documentary on comic books (Comic Book Confidential?) and there was this guy bragging how everyone was his good friend. My friends at I laughed at that because who was this Harlan Ellison guy.

As I got older, I realized that he wasn't humble-bragging - he truly was a good friend with basically everyone. And that "everyone" included artists and writers and musicians and actors - lots of different people who have become parts of what makes me me.

But I still never read anything he wrote. I managed to a get a copy of the trade version of Top of the Volanco (lovely collection by Sub Press and a great introduction to Ellison's writing) so I was finally able to read something he wrote. And since then, I've been casually grabbing signed copies from eBay and random reading copies of other collections at book stores.

When PS Publishing mentioned doing an anniversary edition of Ellison in Wonderland, I was interested, but afraid that the short print run (200 signed copies) would make it impossible (or just extremely difficult to acquire,) but I was ultimately able to get one directly from PS. (Although, this is more of a definitive edition and less of an anniversary edition.)

The signed version is slipcased and included a bonus book called Pebbles from the Mountain.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17527[/ATTACH]
                        Pebbles on the left, Wonderland on the right, and the illustrated slipcase in the middle for both books.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17528[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17529[/ATTACH]
                        The signature sheet, and the table of contents from Pebble . . .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17530[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]17531[/ATTACH]
                        The two pages of table of contents from Wonderland.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17532[/ATTACH]
                        Foldout pages are hard to photograph - but in the middle of Wonderland, is an eight-panel foldout featuring covers from different editions of Ellison in Wonderland.
                        Wow! Beautiful editions. Especially the Ellison.

Comment

Superb! I twice interviewed Rick McCammon way back in the mid-80s for The Horror Show magazine. Still one of the nicest guys on Earth. Thanks for showing these.

Comment

Here's mine. I also received a copy in a grab bag but gifted it to my best friend since jr. high whom I suckered into the series

The Dark Tower Companion A.jpgThe Dark Tower Companion B.jpg
                            The Dark Tower Companion C.jpg

Comment

I still haven't received my Companion yet. I thought that North Carolina ate it, but the tracking number finally showed proof of life and I should have it today.

I know I'll end up with a duplicate of this one or the Robin Firth one, I'm just not sure which. Still unsure of what I'll do with my duplicate copy. I only know one other person who reads King and I don't know if she ever read the copy of The Gunslinger that I made her buy or if she would even appreciate one of these reference books.

Comment

Cool! I haven't interviewed anyone (I was interviewed in an Oregon paper about running Hood to Coast - not the same thing.)

I'm glad I finally "discovered" McCammon last year.

Originally posted by William J. Grabowski View Post
                                Superb! I twice interviewed Rick McCammon way back in the mid-80s for The Horror Show magazine. Still one of the nicest guys on Earth. Thanks for showing these.

Comment

Working...
                                X