X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Congrats, I relly like those but I went the paperback route. Well done!
    Thanks! I debated a long time about whether to jump on this set, because the paperbacks are nice and almost seem to be more fitting format for this line of books. Obviously, I broke down and went this route, picking up one a month through Thunderstorm and I'm glad I did as I like them quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Received Bryan Smith's THE LAST OF THE RAVAGERS today completing my Thunderstorm/Death's Head Splatter Western set. Volume 1 of this series is complete, but it sounds like the two publishers are teaming up for another 13 book set.
    Congrats, I really like those but I went the paperback route. Well done!
    Last edited by mhatchett; 05-10-2022, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Received Bryan Smith's THE LAST OF THE RAVAGERS today completing my Thunderstorm/Death's Head Splatter Western set. Volume 1 of this series is complete, but it sounds like the two publishers are teaming up for another 13 book set.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Yep. I am out of wall space anyway. So I have three of four things that I would like to frame however there is no room left in my library. Its been very difficult not buying a few items, which I really wanted, but I know I have nowhere to put them. Saved on the initial purchase and the framing! Woot!

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Framing is just ridiculous! The last two things we got framed (somewhere in this thread) we got done at Michael's and lucked into a 70% off weekend, otherwise it would been about $1300 for the two pieces we got done.

I really wished I knew how to do it, but if I had the time to learn, I'd probably learn to make slipcases for books instead. Seems more management and I know I need/want a lot of slipcases and they don't up as much room as framing all of my art.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Framing is just ridiculous! The last two things we got framed (somewhere in this thread) we got done at Michael's and lucked into a 70% off weekend, otherwise it would been about $1300 for the two pieces we got done.

I really wished I knew how to do it, but if I had the time to learn, I'd probably learn to make slipcases for books instead. Seems more management and I know I need/want a lot of slipcases and they don't up as much room as framing all of my art.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Yep. It is over the top expensive. I try and catch Michaels when they are having a 50% off sale. It happens a few times a year I think.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Thanks Ben! I have a few things I want to get framed before I retire, because it's some damn expensive LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Congrats. That looks nice and it's a great piece for the collection.
    Thanks Ben! I have a few things I want to get framed before I retire, because it's some damn expensive LOL!!

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats. That looks nice and it's a great piece for the collection.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Just back from the framer! How could I pass up Ray Bradbury, Halloween and Signed. Sorry, and of Course, the cat HAHA!! ABradbury Print.jpg

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

I think the first Winslow book I read was The Winter of Frankie Machine, and I was hooked. Every book I read by him was fantastic, so when The Force was coming out, I ordered a signed copy. That book read like he wrote it in a week to fulfill a contract. It was just awful. I wanted to throw the book across the room when he had native New Yorkers saying things like "Take the 95 North to the 4 West". No one outside of SoCal would ever say "the 95", or "the 4". He also pulled in every cop cliche ever written.

Everything since then has been up to his usual high standard, so I'm looking forward to reading City of Fire.
    The only book (save for a surfer mystery I read so long ago I can't recall anything about it) I've read of his is, of course, that "awful" book, THE FORCE, and while it started strong I was also unimpressed, and decided he just wasn't for me, contrary to the love many have for his body of work. I couldn't figure out what I was missing that everybody else saw. Maybe with the above in mind, I'll have to give him another shot...maybe.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    California Fire & Life!

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    I know that it's not fancy or limited, but, I just picked-up the new Don Winslow, City of Fire, and am very excited to read it. Anytime a new Don Winslow book is released is a reason to celebrate as he might be my favorite (living) crime writer (with James Sallis a close second).
    I think the first Winslow book I read was The Winter of Frankie Machine, and I was hooked. Every book I read by him was fantastic, so when The Force was coming out, I ordered a signed copy. That book read like he wrote it in a week to fulfill a contract. It was just awful. I wanted to throw the book across the room when he had native New Yorkers saying things like "Take the 95 North to the 4 West". No one outside of SoCal would ever say "the 95", or "the 4". He also pulled in every cop cliche ever written.

Everything since then has been up to his usual high standard, so I'm looking forward to reading City of Fire.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    I know that it's not fancy or limited, but, I just picked-up the new Don Winslow, City of Fire, and am very excited to read it. Anytime a new Don Winslow book is released is a reason to celebrate as he might be my favorite (living) crime writer (with James Sallis a close second).

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Picked up another PB. Maybe it's a trend?

Burn the Plans by Tyler Jones:

Burn the Plans Cover.jpg

BTP Sig.jpg
    Would love to hear a review of this once you have read it. That blurb from the intro by Michael Marshall Smith has me very close to picking this one up.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Fantastic art. Will you be getting that framed?

Oh Yeah!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X