Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Clinton's notable Tweet brags...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Itís a good one...back when Gauntlet used original art rather than the unfortunate digital clip art they use now.
    They can be pretty painful... as shallow as it sounds, that's part of what has driven me away from buying some of their books.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Theli View Post
      They can be pretty painful... as shallow as it sounds, that's part of what has driven me away from buying some of their books.
      Not shallow at all...they aren’t selling $25 trade/mm HCs or $10 mmpbs...these are $50-$60 deluxe HCs, the price of which is supposed to be largely justified not because it’s simply signedbut rather by production enhancements: by premium materials, sewn binding for strength and longevity, original art, and careful copy editing and other attentions to detail. When a publisher scrimps on one or more of these assets, they are subverting the entire purpose of — and buyer’s incentive for — a limited edition.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

      Comment


        Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Not shallow at all...they aren’t selling $25 trade/mm HCs or $10 mmpbs...these are $50-$60 deluxe HCs, the price of which is supposed to be largely justified not because it’s simply signedbut rather by production enhancements: by premium materials, sewn binding for strength and longevity, original art, and careful copy editing and other attentions to detail. When a publisher scrimps on one or more of these assets, they are subverting the entire purpose of — and buyer’s incentive for — a limited edition.
        I bought exactly one Gauntlet Edition. One. (read that as Joe Piscopo's character in Johnny Dangerously).

        Comment


          Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I bought exactly one Gauntlet Edition. One. (read that as Joe Piscopo's character in Johnny Dangerously).
          I swear I had half that film memorized back in the day. I used to be a big fan of Gauntlet and love the older volumes I have...but based on a couple recent experiences and what I see advertised on-line it’s now for whatever reason(s) just a different press, which is a shame.

          Today’s Showcase Book: a 1st signed HC of Iain Banks’ THE WASP FACTORY:

          https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...092222976?s=21
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

          Comment


            Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
            I bought exactly one Gauntlet Edition. One. (read that as Joe Piscopo's character in Johnny Dangerously).
            I own all of the Bradbury titles that gauntlet put out, bought them years ago, couldn't afford what people as asking for them now, however I purchased a set from them last year and I was terribly disappointed. I won't be buying from them in the future.

            Comment


              Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
              I own all of the Bradbury titles that gauntlet put out, bought them years ago, couldn't afford what people as asking for them now, however I purchased a set from them last year and I was terribly disappointed. I won't be buying from them in the future.
              Don’t know which set that was, but if it was the Matheson BEARDLESS WARRIORS set, that was for a variety of reasons the only limited books I’ve ever returned (to Camelot) in 30+ years of collecting for a refund.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

              Comment


                Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Don’t know which set that was, but if it was the Matheson BEARDLESS WARRIORS set, that was for a variety of reasons the only limited books I’ve ever returned (to Camelot) in 30+ years of collecting for a refund.
                That was it, no slipcase as advertised, and shoddy work all the way around.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  no slipcase as advertised, and shoddy work all the way around.
                  Bingo on both points. Really disappointing, too, as I was really looking forward to that set...what missed potential.
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Not shallow at all...they arenít selling $25 trade/mm HCs or $10 mmpbs...these are $50-$60 deluxe HCs, the price of which is supposed to be largely justified not because itís simply signedbut rather by production enhancements: by premium materials, sewn binding for strength and longevity, original art, and careful copy editing and other attentions to detail. When a publisher scrimps on one or more of these assets, they are subverting the entire purpose of ó and buyerís incentive for ó a limited edition.
                    I couldn't have said it better myself. But I will say that any dealings I've had with Barry at Gauntlet have been very positive. I also think a lot of the additional material they include with their editions has been pretty good in general. So while they lack in some fields, I don't feel that they are a complete wash. If the right book (for me) is being published by them I'll still be interested.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Theli View Post
                      I couldn't have said it better myself. But I will say that any dealings I've had with Barry at Gauntlet have been very positive. I also think a lot of the additional material they include with their editions has been pretty good in general. So while they lack in some fields, I don't feel that they are a complete wash. If the right book (for me) is being published by them I'll still be interested.
                      I bought their lettered Rusty Puppy and the DJ art was poor and the paper stock they used was more fitting for a cheap dimestore paperback. Really low quality for what's supposed to be a deluxe edition.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        I bought their lettered Rusty Puppy and the DJ art was poor and the paper stock they used was more fitting for a cheap dimestore paperback. Really low quality for what's supposed to be a deluxe edition.
                        I bought the "Legend Trilogy" by Marie Lu, the three lettered editions at half-price. Very satisfied. They run many newsletter sales so it does pay to sign up and it's free.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Theli View Post
                          I couldn't have said it better myself. But I will say that any dealings I've had with Barry at Gauntlet have been very positive. I also think a lot of the additional material they include with their editions has been pretty good in general. So while they lack in some fields, I don't feel that they are a complete wash. If the right book (for me) is being published by them I'll still be interested.
                          Yes, I've nothing negative at all to say about Barry personally...I've been dealing with him for many, many years with any problem at all and find him personable and accomodating. I just wish his recent releases were more reflective of the quality Gauntlet used to produce, that's all.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                          Comment


                            I’ll be damned...I won a book, and it’s even one I really wanted to read!

                            https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...535015424?s=21
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                              I’ll be damned...I won a book, and it’s even one I really wanted to read!

                              https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...535015424?s=21
                              Congratulations!! You deserve it!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                I’ll be damned...I won a book, and it’s even one I really wanted to read!

                                https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...535015424?s=21
                                Congrats, Ron!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X