Boxes of love from the Cemetery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxes of love from the Cemetery

So, over the last 2 weeks or so, I've received 4 boxes of books from my CD lifetime subscription I was very very fortunate enough to purchase about 13-14 years ago. These are the latest members in my collection.

CD1.jpg

CD2.jpg

Nice! How exactly did that work? That was before my time on here/dealing with CD.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
      Nice! How exactly did that work? That was before my time on here/dealing with CD.

At one time they had offered a subscription. For a certain price (I'd rather not say), you received one of each limited produced. I had been incredibly fortunate with it.

Comment

A lifetime subscription sounds amazing. I wish I could get in on something like that, but I'm sure that if it was ever offered from one of the publishers I'd be interested in getting it from, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it. Awesome that you got one, though!

If CD does ever offer it again they should officially call it "Boxes of Love from the Cemetery". Maybe even print that on the shipping boxes!

Comment

I asked Mindy about this when I was bugging the crap out of her about what numbers were available for Limited's lol. It is a very sweet deal but unfortunately she said she seriously doubted if it'd ever be offered again. Maybe if/when "The Elders" die off . Heck, ya might even be able to leave it in your will!!

Comment

At this stage we have absolutely no intention of selling lifetime memberships again. We've even bought some back from members over the past couple years. Obviously the "Lifetime Membership" model isn't really something our accountants like that we ever did.
            CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
            Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              At this stage we have absolutely no intention of selling lifetime memberships again. We've even bought some back from members over the past couple years. Obviously the "Lifetime Membership" model isn't really something our accountants like that we ever did.
              In my best Homer Simpson voice, "Dadburn Accountants!"

Comment

A lot of small presses used to sell a limited number of lifetime subs when they were getting started to help boost their initial revenue stream. To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea. As Dan hinted at, depending on how many are sold, it can seriously impact future revenue. Also, I've seen other publishers do some odd things to essentially get out of honoring lifetime subs because they sold too many.

Delirium Books is an example of that. Towards the end of its run, before Shane Staley "closed" it down and "opened" DarkFuse, he started up the Altar 13 imprint, which had absolutely no mention of Delirium Books anywhere in the actual books, thus he did not send them to lifetime subscribers. These folks were less than thrilled. I mean, I think the cover price of all the books the lifetime subscribers received was greater than what they paid for the subscription, but I can still understand why they got angry about that situation. I know at least two of those folks are infrequent posters here, but I'll let them chime in if they feel like adding anything.

Another really shitty situation was Night Shade. They were trying to sell lifetime subs as late as a year before they very nearly went out of business, when they knew they were looking at some serious financial troubles. I suppose it can be argued that the lifetime sub sales could have possibly injected some much needed cash into the business, but the fact remains that Skyhorse did not honor any lifetime subs after they acquired Night Shade, so if you bought one a mere year earlier, you were out a LOT of money with nothing to show for it.

Comment

I can totally understand that. I'm sure in the end, this type of membership is not money making venture at all. If this was offered 14+ years ago, think about how much production costs have surely increased.

Comment

This was the one Lifetime sub I wish I had bought, instead of the ones I did at Endeavor, Delirium Books, Necessary Evil, Bloodletting and Full Moon Press.

I've remained friends with Larry and Don....but Stalely can go get to know himself better in a carnal fashion.

All of those precious subs were bought from 2002 through 2005. None of them are producing books to live up to the subscription.

Just sayin...

~Mark

Comment

I did have Night Shade for a number of years before they closed up. They has some great authors.

Comment

I still get infrequent queries about Lifetime Subscriptions to the line of chapbooks offered by White Noise Press. We have never offered it, and never will. Our strict policy is to only offer an item for sale when we have it in hand to sell. That means, no lifetime subscriptions, and no pre-sales of individual chaps. Our business model has always been: if you don't have the funding, you shouldn't be publishing.

Comment

I love those chapbooks, I believe I've got one of each.
                          Great lineup of authors. I'm glad you decided to make a comeback keith��

Mark

Originally posted by keithminnion View Post
                          I still get infrequent queries about Lifetime Subscriptions to the line of chapbooks offered by White Noise Press. We have never offered it, and never will. Our strict policy is to only offer an item for sale when we have it in hand to sell. That means, no lifetime subscriptions, and no pre-sales of individual chaps. Our business model has always been: if you don't have the funding, you shouldn't be publishing.

Comment

Great lineup of authors. I'm glad you decided to make a comeback keith😃

Mark

Originally posted by keithminnion View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ruderabbit View Post
                              Great lineup of authors. I'm glad you decided to make a comeback keith��

Mark
                              I definitely agree with you! I love the White Noise chapbooks. Not only is each one so amazing aesthetically, but the quality of the stories are just so good. Highly recommended if someone has yet to check them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X