Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian861
    replied
    Wow John!! Color me impressed. Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    PCs are generally less valuable than their numbered/lettered alternatives, though that's not always the case, and rarely significantly cheaper, maybe say 10% cheaper on average. I actually think PC copies are pretty cool. I feel like there's a bit more history to them than their numbered and lettered brethren. I guess the thought behind it is that most PC copies are technically not "unique" in the sense that there is only one number 257 in a print run of 1000, or letter V in a lettered set, for example, while there tends to be more PC copies, maybe 10 or 15, maybe more, maybe less. But to me it's almost like PC is a separate print run, it's not quite the numbered or lettered, and sometimes it is reflected in the way they are made, maybe missing a signature, or have an additional signature for example.

Leave a comment:

• jhanic
    replied
    Here I am, popping in!

In general, ARCs/proofs are not worth more than the signed limited versions of the various Stephen King books (who is virtually the only author I collect), but that all depends on the book itself, the number of ARCs issued, etc. as Theli points out. There are a number of ARCs that have gone for much more than the book, however, due to their scarcity. A good example of this is the ARC/proof of King's Cell. A very few (less than 10) of this proof are in collectors' hands. To find one for less than $1000 is a good deal. But the US proof of Rose Madder goes for well under $50 (there were about 10,000 of these done.) Another example is the CD Anniversary publication of IT. Two versions of this proof exist--one the interoffice proof (red) and the "regular" proof with the Orbik cover. Because of the iconic status of the book, the interoffice proof went for $850 and the Orbik proof went for almost $500 from a recent sale at Betts books. Fewer than 12 of the interoffice proof were done, and about 20 of the Orbik one were published.

Many of the older proofs (such as the Doubleday "long" proofs) go in the thousands of dollars. A beat-up copy of the Doubleday Stand sold on eBay recently for almost $4800. This is because they are so scarce. (I don't own any of them).

A set of the six Green Mile proofs went for $6900 from Betts. According to my notes, fewer than 25 of proof #1 were done, and between six and ten of #6 were released. (I've heard that King wanted the proof of #6 destroyed to avoid releasing the ending. Some did get out, though.)

When it comes to ARCs/proofs of the UK editions, much the same "rules" are in effect. Many of the more current King ARCs from Hodder & Stoughton (King's UK publisher) are numbered, starting with 2006's publication of Lisey's Story. Many of these UK proofs are issued in quantities of 250 or less.

To see pictures of the proofs/ARCs I own, check out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-jhanic-proofs

To see the most up-to-date listing of US and UK proofs, check out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...en-King-Proofs

I try to keep this listing as current as I can.

If you have any questions, please PM me. I'll be glad to answer if I can.

John

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Ok thanks. Is it safe to assume this also applies to PCs?

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Hopefully John (jhanic) pops by with some input, he's quite the collector of Stephen King ARCs. There's very few people more knowledgeable than him on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Some do some don't. It Depends on the author, the age, if they are signed, the print run of the ARC, and the popularity of the book itself. I haven't quite hopped on board the ARC collecting train, at the moment it's enough for me to try to get 1st editions and/or limited editions. I may grab the odd ARC of novels I really enjoy in the future, but not yet.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    started a topic ARCs

ARCs

Extremely new to the collecting game and I hope this is the correct forum to post this question. Do ARCs hold more value over the finished limited/signed/numbered/letter editions of books? Eye balling a few on eBay and don't want to overpay if they aren't that big a deal. Thanks.
Working...
X