Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Wow, Slayn! 300 books is a lot of books! That must be one heck of a collection you are amassing!

mhatchett, there is absolutely nothing wrong with following your "Wimsey". I find that part of the joy of buying/collecting/reading books is stumbling upon a gem at random. When I was deciding on some of my goals this year, I definitely wanted to make sure that I had a "Wimsey" factor. For me, too strict of goals wouldn't be a lot of fun as I love a dash of spontaneity in my collecting. Also, you never know what CD is going to announce this year. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The Straw Man trilogy by Michael Marshall Smith; a rather long shot, but one can hope ).

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Good goals all! As for me, as Peter says, I shall collect as my Wimsey takes me LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    ^Holy crap 300 is a rather large number!

My collecting goals this year is to continue my collection of limited edition vampire books. Specifically to pre-order the artist state of 'Salem's Lot, and to hopefully acquire a few remarqued books. We'll see. The year has started off well for my collection though, had a couple arrive early in the new year, and more on the way.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    As strange as it may sound, my primary goal is to buy fewer books in 2015. I tallied it up the other day and in 2014 I added over 300 books to my library. Now don't get me wrong, I love getting new books, but space and money are finite resources, so before I click that Buy button this year, I want to stop and really consider if that book is something I really want or just a momentary thing.

That said, here are some minor-ish goals:

1.) I want to complete my Hard Case Crime set. I have roughly half the books now.
    2.) I want to finish out Phase 1 of my Jeffrey Thomas collection. Phase 1 is just getting a copy of each of his books; Phase 2 will be getting a copy of each version, but that's a much more long-term (and expensive) goal.
    3.) Pick up the CD slipcases I don't have for the trade editions of King's books. Most likely this will entail buying another copy of the books they go with.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    started a topic 2015 Collecting Goals

2015 Collecting Goals

The last couple of months I've been reflecting on my collection and book buying habits and have realized that while I love my collection, I've never set any goals for myself in this area. I've decided to change that this year. I didn't want to get overly-ambitious with my goals as I still want to be flexible in my buying, so the goals I've set for myself are:

1. Add at least 1 more lettered Richard Matheson title to my collection; I actually want all the Matheson books in lettered states, so I've set a goal of at least 1 per year. This will be a very long process as I doubt I'll ever be able to afford more than 2 in any given year...and there are a lot of Matheson titles. (Currently, I've got my eyes set on a copy of Bloodlines on abe; we'll see what happens, though. )
    2. Continue picking up the Stephen King Doubleday Years books with remarques
    3. Start filling in holes in both my CD Novella collection and Earthling Halloween series (I'm shooting for a book or two each, along with anything new published).

Anyone else have any goals for the new year?
Working...
X