B&N collector editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&N collector editions

Just out of curiosity, what is the opinion of Barnes and Noble's collector books? They seem kind of neat, but was wondering if anyone collects them here, if they are something that will go up in value, but most importantly, do they hold up in terms of quality over the long-term on re-reads? I'm not interested in speculating on them - that aspect was just my curiosity - but I thought they might be a good alternative for someone like myself without a lot of money to acquire a quality library. I even think there might be some King editions too, although I only saw the Star Wars trilogy, Lovecraft, Poe, and a few other classics at my local store.

I purchased the special edition of The Stand they did. Thought it would be a good reading copy. I am generally very gentle with the books I read but I doubt it would hold up well. The paper used is closer to tissue paper than regular paper. I will not be buying another.

Comment

Hi there. I think they are good looking books, and nice for display, however they are not built well and likely will not to hold up to multiple readings or handling.

That being said I own a few of these as well and echo what Martin stated.

I do think they are a nice edition for the new collector or as gifts to non book collector friends. I do not believe there will ever be a profitable market on these.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

"if they are something that will go up in value, but most importantly, do they hold up in terms of quality over the long-term on re-reads? I'm not interested in speculating on them - that aspect was just my curiosity - but I thought they might be a good alternative for someone like myself without a lot of money to acquire a quality library."

No to both counts...since they're all later reprints built to a price-point and produced in mass quantities, they will almost certainly not go up in value (not real value, anyhow...folks may ask for them whatever they wish, but actual sales determine real value) nor will they hold up well to repeated readings. As mentioned, the paper is quite thin, and the boards are made of bonded leather, which is around 15 to 20% real leather bonded with other materials, in the same way that particle board is not true wood, so repeated opening and closing will tend to wear and test the durability of the bonded leather. They are designed primarily for perhaps a single reading or two, and to look nice on the shelf. A "quality library" means different things to different people, so if books that are produced to look attractive on the shelf is one's definition of a quality library, then the B&N books fit the term very nicely...if it means books that have true collector appeal -- either due to state/printing, limitation, or other bibliographic import(s) -- then no, they wouldn't fit the term. But, again, they're not produced to fill that need...they're akin to nice-looking bookclub editions, and in that regard they succeed nicely.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Working...
        X