Publishing in a Pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publishing in a Pandemic

From 2009 to 2018 I wrote several drafts of my second novel DOG STAR. I also had people I trusted beta-read it, and do some serious line-editing. I had a few publishers express interest to my queries, so late in 2018 I sent the manuscript out. Then, knowing how this works, I forgot about DOG STAR and started working on the next book. But then the COVID-19 Pandemic hit, and, being in the high-risk category, I sheltered in. I had several projects to juggle to pass the time. One of them was to design, lay out, and create publisher-ready files for DOG STAR – clean, high-resolution PDF files of the text and cover. I even created a clean .mobi file with a working TOC. Fun stuff. But then one morning in April I woke up with what I thought were the classic symptoms of the corona virus. There was still a local waiting list for testing, but I got on it, and waited. While I waited I started thinking about DOG STAR just sitting there on my hard drive. I had this terrible thought of me in an ICU with a ventilator shoved down my throat, while this finished, ready-to-go new novel just sat there in a folder on my iMAC desktop. So, that morning I tweaked the text and cover files for both the print and ebook versions to show my own White Noise Press imprint, and submitted them to Amazon KDP. Within a day I had all the files accepted, and within a week – while my symptoms thankfully subsided, and my doctor and I agreed I must have just had a mild case of the flu – both editions, ebook and print, of DOG STAR were available for download and purchase. I don't regret it, better to be safe than sorry, but I do wish the book had come out under someone else's imprint.

Originally posted by keithminnion View Post
    From 2009 to 2018 I wrote several drafts of my second novel DOG STAR. I also had people I trusted beta-read it, and do some serious line-editing. I had a few publishers express interest to my queries, so late in 2018 I sent the manuscript out. Then, knowing how this works, I forgot about DOG STAR and started working on the next book. But then the COVID-19 Pandemic hit, and, being in the high-risk category, I sheltered in. I had several projects to juggle to pass the time. One of them was to design, lay out, and create publisher-ready files for DOG STAR – clean, high-resolution PDF files of the text and cover. I even created a clean .mobi file with a working TOC. Fun stuff. But then one morning in April I woke up with what I thought were the classic symptoms of the corona virus. There was still a local waiting list for testing, but I got on it, and waited. While I waited I started thinking about DOG STAR just sitting there on my hard drive. I had this terrible thought of me in an ICU with a ventilator shoved down my throat, while this finished, ready-to-go new novel just sat there in a folder on my iMAC desktop. So, that morning I tweaked the text and cover files for both the print and ebook versions to show my own White Noise Press imprint, and submitted them to Amazon KDP. Within a day I had all the files accepted, and within a week – while my symptoms thankfully subsided, and my doctor and I agreed I must have just had a mild case of the flu – both editions, ebook and print, of DOG STAR were available for download and purchase. I don't regret it, better to be safe than sorry, but I do wish the book had come out under someone else's imprint.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better! Just ordered the copy back of Dog Star. Not the way you wanted it to happen but nice to see another White Noise book, I still miss those Chap books!

Comment

Thank you for that! As for the White Noise Press chapbook series, alas, the cost of creating and publishing them became too much for the market to bear. There was a time when I would sell out the run of 150 copies in hours - in one case, minutes! But eventually it came down to: who would pay more than $15 plus shipping for a single story? That was my reasoning for pulling up the tent, anyway.

Comment

Thank you for that! As for the White Noise Press chapbook series, alas, the cost of creating and publishing them became too much for the market to bear. There was a time when I would sell out the run of 150 copies in hours - in one case, minutes! But eventually it came down to: who would pay more than $15 plus shipping for a single story? That was my reasoning for pulling up the tent, anyway.
        Totally understand. I could not believe how you were even able to produce such beautiful editions for the price you were selling them for.

Comment

Thanks for a little sneak behind the curtain. I can certainly understand wanting to ensure that something you had worked so hard on see the light of die...just in case.

I also second missing those chap books. I appreciated the quality and care you put into them but understand the reality of business.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

The White Noise chapbooks were must-buy items for me...no matter the author, I was in as soon as the book opened up for ordering. Really sorry to see them go.
            That said, glad you're healthy, and I'm eager to read your new book, Keith.

http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! DOG STAR is available on Amazon right now, and I would certainly appreciate the business! The White Noise Press chaps were fun because I could try out some interesting layout and design ideas that were different for each one. As for DOG STAR, I like the trade paperback version over the ebook version because I was able to employ some interesting book design and layout elements that I am particularly proud of.

Comment

In that case, I'll pick up a copy of the paperback.
                http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

My paperback copy is expected on Sunday.

Comment

I’ll add my voice to the others who’ve expressed affection and admiration for your WNP chapbooks, Keith. Totally understand the decision to cease their production, and thanks for publishing those you did.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks Ron. I'm proud of them all, even the one about the bad bratwurst (just kidding, Jeff!). And thanks again to the folks who have placed an order for the book. It is always exciting to see the sales show up in my KDP report, rather than the usual flat-line!

Comment

Bought one too! Looking forward to it. And if the call out to "Jeff" in the comment on the bad bratwurst chapbook was directed at me it went way over my head. Which isn't out of the norm. Though it tickles something Little related (?) in my memory. Or is that just a product of my sensitivity and fear of being pegged as the anti-Little guy.

Comment

Oh no! It was directed to my very good friend Jeff Strand, who was the only writer I invited back to have a second chapbook in the White Noise Press chapbook series. His second appearance was for a story called "Bad Bratwurst", and it was the most different and outrageous and funny story of all of them! I haven't eaten a German sausage since! And thanks for the purchase of DOG STAR! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Received my copy today. I think it may be the first Print on Demand book I have purchased. The book actually has the date it was printed in it. Why do I want to wait a week and order another one just to see that same book with another date?

Comment

Because I like the royalties? Seriously, I'm glad your copy arrived safely. Please let me know what you think of the novel. I'm all grown up; I can take it.

Comment

Working...
                              X