Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Author Discussions

Hi Guys,

I used the forum upgrade as an opportunity to move the author discussions around. Now they're sub sections of this "Author Discussion" forum. You can also start new threads in here for any authors you want to talk about. Or if there's any existing threads somewhere else you think belong here, just let me know and I'll move them. Thanks!
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Hi Guys,

I used the forum upgrade as an opportunity to move the author discussions around. Now they're sub sections of this "Author Discussion" forum. You can also start new threads in here for any authors you want to talk about. Or if there's any existing threads somewhere else you think belong here, just let me know and I'll move them. Thanks!
    Thank You!

Comment

Not sure this is what is usual on a board like this, but I'll share about Joe Lansdale and just how cool a person he is.

I grew up in Nacogdoches, TX. It's a deep east texas, mostly redneck but regional college town. It has everything from a confederate flag waving practically open KKK groups to super hippy peace and love movement clans. My dad would certainly fall toward the latter of the two and being extremely outgoing and large party thrower, I met many characters growing up.

We had a grey haired flamboyantly gay & daisy duke wearing twirler who would roam the town (great person, passed away a few years ago), we had the people from that church that has signs that say "Gods hates fags" layer themselves across our main thoroughfare, and we even had a guy known as 70s Peter because this man truly thought it was still the 1970s. Combine these people with a strong poetry crowd and fun when not truly impressive music scene and it could make sense that Joe Lansdale wouldn't stick out even if wanted to. And he doesn't want to.

He has a dojo there and that was basically all I knew about his personal life. He was always at the art parties, incredible affairs where artists of all types would flock to one location (for about a decade they were at our house) around the holidays and bring something they were proud of that year. It was everything from wood work to paintings to things like Joe's Horny Frankenstein story that was printed with art onto a board. Everyone would put a number on and in the end everyone would grab numbers from a hat and it was pretty magical as a young person to see all this creativity being both presented to world, given away, and being received. Joe's work has been hanging up in my original home for years, and I never had a clue who he was.

I suppose I had a slight clue that Joe was a fairly big writer. My dad tossed me Writer of the Purple Rage when I was in my early teens and I remember thinking it reminded me of Stephen King only instead in East Texas and often more vile...which I liked. The man never once brought it up, though. He was and is a very good friend of my dad. They even go to movies together, and I never once heard him speak about his success. It took me moving away and start reading and collecting to realize how far his writing spread and how much people really dig what he has done. It's kind of surreal to be in search of lettered editions now of a guy who my dad would toss me books of for free, and who goes by the downtown book store and just signs everything when he's there.

Lansdale is truly a class act, as are many of the friends of my parents. It's always nice to realize about someone that their sensibilities and personality aren't affected by success and I wanted to share the story.

Also, The Bottoms, all the Hap and Leonard stuff, and the Thicket are my favorites but having a private showing of Bubba Ho-tep with Bruce Campbell was damn epic.

Comment

Blake Crouch question:

For those who have read both, what's better Recursion or Dark Matter?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          Blake Crouch question:

For those who have read both, what's better Recursion or Dark Matter?
          DARK MATTER.

RECURSION is good, but the repetition that’s part and parcel of the story and the way it’s told can get a little wearying.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

DARK MATTER.

RECURSION is good, but the repetition that’s part and parcel of the story and the way it’s told can get a little wearying.
            Thanks Ron. I'm thinking of getting a book from VJ Books and I loved PINES. So I'm thinking it'll be a Crouch book.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Thanks Ron. I'm thinking of getting a book from VJ Books and I loved PINES. So I'm thinking it'll be a Crouch book.
              It’s hard to go wrong with either, but DARK MATTER was my favorite of the two. Hope you enjoy whichever you pick, and I look forward to the unboxing. :-)
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

The Googles reminded me that last year was the epic Joe Hill Meetup with Internet Strangers (well, Brian861 isn't a stranger to us on the internet!)

IMG_0061.jpgIMG_0073.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X