THE OTHER PEOPLE by Subterranean Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I still have Peter Straub's Mr. X and there is no chance I will ever read that one again!
    Straub only haunts my shelves via his collaborations with King.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Straub only haunts my shelves via his collaborations with King.
      Straub has written some classic stuff. Lost Boy:Lost Girl and Ghost Story are classics to me. The Hellfire Club and In The Night Room are very good. Mr. X made no sense to me and I am still unsure of what the hell that story was about.

Comment

Other then the 2 books with King I only have enjoyed Straubs shorter works. I'm in the minority but I feel about Ghost Story the way Jeff feels about The Mailman.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
          Other then the 2 books with King I only have enjoyed Straubs shorter works. I'm in the minority but I feel about Ghost Story the way Jeff feels about The Mailman.
          I love Ghost Story but to be honest I like the movie better. I think Ghost Story would have been better as a shorter work. Lost Boy:Lost Girl is by far my favorite Straub story. I just read The Talisman last year and really enjoyed it. I have yet to read Black House. That is one of two King books I have not yet read, the other being The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Comment

Your constant disparagement of The Mailman makes it seem like you really want us to purchase this book. Well your reverse psychology didn't work on me!!!! I'm not going to buy this book..........oh wait!!! I guess it did work.
            Still think that The Mailman is a great book
            I have often wondered about the reverse psychology angle. I have never wanted to buy a Bentley Little book more than I have since joining this forum and reading all of these comments. It definitely makes one wonder...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStegs View Post
              I have often wondered about the reverse psychology angle. I have never wanted to buy a Bentley Little book more than I have since joining this forum and reading all of these comments. It definitely makes one wonder...
              That makes total sense. You're wondering about the experience that has stirred so much passion. You're excited by the gamble--will this pay rewards or steal my time? You crave to have an opinion of your own so you know which of us are the lunatics and who is the bearing the light of reason.

Don't fall for it. There is no winning here. I've hyped the disappointment and they've hyped the reward. You will be left empty.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                That makes total sense. You're wondering about the experience that has stirred so much passion. You're excited by the gamble--will this pay rewards or steal my time? You crave to have an opinion of your own so you know which of us are the lunatics and who is the bearing the light of reason.

Don't fall for it. There is no winning here. I've hyped the disappointment and they've hyped the reward. You will be left empty.
                I don’t know if that explanation made it better or worse. Lol. I do appreciate the insight however and we’ll see what the future holds in terms of my Little exposure.

Comment

I don’t know if that explanation made it better or worse. Lol. I do appreciate the insight however and we’ll see what the future holds in terms of my Little exposure.
                  To expand upon Jeff's comments, I don't agree that he's been overhyped on both sides. Jeff has surely hyped Little as being terrible, but the other side doesn't really hype him as being "the best". Instead, I feel as if they've hyped him as simply being a fun author to read.

I will admit, he is VERY formulaic. If you were to read his novels back-to-back, you might get sick of that formula very quickly. But as a read here and there, he's a good / very decent author to read. That being said, his style and humor (yes, I would say there is a bit of humor to him) is VERY dark. Almost uncomfortably dark at times. He has the same disturbing imagery that you might find in a Jack Ketchum novel.

If you are interested in reading a Little novel, I believe I have an extra copy of The Mailman lying around that I'll gladly donate. And hell, we're practically neighbors (I live in Orchard Park, NY, a mere fifteen minutes from Lancaster), so it'd be easy/cheap enough to get it to you (once all this social distancing is over, of course)!

Comment

I have not read any of Bentley Little's novels. I do not plan on buying a Bentley Little novel any time soon. One thing that steers me away from Little's work is I've seen a lot of his novels get the trade paperback treatment. Trade paperbacks are okay and I like them for some books. I know my explanation as to why I sometimes dislike trade paperbacks is not adequate, it's the best I can do.

Cap
                    Last edited by c marvel; 04-03-2020, 01:30 AM.
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                      I have not read any of Bentley Little's novels. I do not plan on buying a Bentley Little novel any time soon. One thing that steers me away from Little's work is I've seen a lot of his novels get the trade paperback treatment. Trade paperbacks are okay and I like them for some books. I know my explanation as to why I sometimes dislike trade paperbacks is not adequate, it's the best I can do.

Cap
                      But most of his titles ARE available in hardcover as well, if that's what you fancy. Or do you not like it because they've been reprinted as paperbacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                        But most of his titles ARE available in hardcover as well, if that's what you fancy. Or do you not like it because they've been reprinted as paperbacks?
                        Umm.... Well, not really. Honestly from what little I've seen and heard about Bentley Little's books they just do not interest me at all. ~Cap
                        Last edited by c marvel; 04-03-2020, 05:04 AM.
                        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                          If you are interested in reading a Little novel, I believe I have an extra copy of The Mailman lying around that I'll gladly donate. And hell, we're practically neighbors (I live in Orchard Park, NY, a mere fifteen minutes from Lancaster), so it'd be easy/cheap enough to get it to you (once all this social distancing is over, of course)!
                          I just may take you up on that offer. Even if you don’t find an extra copy of the book, it’s never a bad idea to meet someone who shares a passion for books. And yes, pretty much a hop, skip, and a jump down Route 20 for the most part. Now we just need this whole situation to end sooner rather than later but likely going to be awhile. I have 2 high risk family members including my wife so it adds a bit of stress, but just trying to be patient and ride things out. Stay safe!!

Comment

I just may take you up on that offer. Even if you don’t find an extra copy of the book, it’s never a bad idea to meet someone who shares a passion for books. And yes, pretty much a hop, skip, and a jump down Route 20 for the most part. Now we just need this whole situation to end sooner rather than later but likely going to be awhile. I have 2 high risk family members including my wife so it adds a bit of stress, but just trying to be patient and ride things out. Stay safe!!
                            Yeah, the current situation is far too dangerous and hectic for any meetups.
                            Best of health to you and your family. Stay safe!

Comment

I was a fan of The Chalk Man. I have the Subterranean Press edition of that as well as Haunted Place. Haven't read it yet.

Comment

I was a fan of The Chalk Man. I have the Subterranean Press edition of that as well as Haunted Place. Haven't read it yet.
                                For me, The Hiding Place was the tipping point. It cast a brighter light on all the things I had a problem with in The Chalk Man and demonstrated how much worse things could get.

Comment

Working...
                                X