Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    How long since I last bought a book? I bought this. My budget doesn't really allow for books at this point however I did it anyway. Cancel a few taco Tuesdays and buy PBR in lieu of something fancy, like the banquet beer, and boom I now have pre-ordered another book.

I feel good about the purchase but hadn't read the book. I hope it's good but I do know that SST will produce I nice edition.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Was there an official announcement? Odd, I got the initial one, but didn't receive the later/official one.

As far as the sell-through, perhaps it's because she hasn't established her collectability in the marketplace yet, so people are shy to invest in a book that many have already read. That said, Lividian did it with Catariona Ward and Suntup did with Ania Ahlborn, so there goes that theory. No idea why. I passed because I just have to start putting some parameters on my buying, so, for better or worse, I'm now sticking to tried and true authors. That said (again), though, I preordered SST's THE LIVING DEAD by Daniel Kraus and George A. Romero, so there again I blow that idea. Collecting books is a very imprecise science.
    I didn't see an official announcement, but, to be honest, I never do with SST. I assumed it was officially announced because it's on their homepage and Camelot has copies posted for sale.

I have thought about sticking with the "tried and true" but I love finding new authors, so that idea always flies out the window.

For some reason, I didn't jump on THE LIVING DEAD and now I can't find it anywhere for sale. I have no idea why I passed. I think there was some budgetary issues at the time.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Man, I'm surprised THE HUNGER by Alma Katsu hasn't sold out yet. Maybe I'm off, but this seemed like a pretty big announcement. Are people to sleeping on SST? If this was a CD or Sub Press title, I'd think it would have sold out by now.
    Was there an official announcement? Odd, I got the initial one, but didn't receive the later/official one.

As far as the sell-through, perhaps it's because she hasn't established her collectability in the marketplace yet, so people are shy to invest in a book that many have already read. That said, Lividian did it with Catariona Ward and Suntup did with Ania Ahlborn, so there goes that theory. No idea why. I passed because I just have to start putting some parameters on my buying, so, for better or worse, I'm now sticking to tried and true authors. That said (again), though, I preordered SST's THE LIVING DEAD by Daniel Kraus and George A. Romero, so there again I blow that idea. Collecting books is a very imprecise science.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Man, I'm surprised THE HUNGER by Alma Katsu hasn't sold out yet. Maybe I'm off, but this seemed like a pretty big announcement. Are people to sleeping on SST? If this was a CD or Sub Press title, I'd think it would have sold out by now.
    To be honest, I'm surprised too considering how much hype this book generated when it was first released. I believe it was even recommended by Stephen King. Add in that it is also only 50 bucks, and it feels like a steal to me. I don't know how SST can continue to offer their limited editions at that price-point, but, God bless em. Feels like most other publishers' limited editions are now starting in the 100-200 range. I never sleep on SST releases as I love what they are doing over there and have never once been disappointed by a purchase. I've gladly pre-ordered everything they've offered so far this year. Between the price-point, titles offered, quality of production, extra features/bonus content, as well as how quickly they're able to actually produce and ship their books, ordering from SST is a no-brainer for me!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Hahaha, waayy too good. Nothing nearly that sexy or cosmopolitan, no smoking jackets or snifters of brandy…it was just a Powell’s Bookstore event with Tremblay and Stewart O’Nan that was held over Zoom, with a bit of Q & A at the end where I snuck in my SST question. Sorry to shatter the illusion.
    Way to bust my bubble, Ron! I was so excited about your imaginary life and everything.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Guess I need to pay more attention to my Powell's emails. That one sounds interesting.
    It was an interesting and entertaining hour, watching two of my preferred authors talking about writing.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Hahaha, waayy too good. Nothing nearly that sexy or cosmopolitan, no smoking jackets or snifters of brandy…it was just a Powell’s Bookstore event with Tremblay and Stewart O’Nan that was held over Zoom, with a bit of Q & A at the end where I snuck in my SST question. Sorry to shatter the illusion.
    Guess I need to pay more attention to my Powell's emails. That one sounds interesting.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I agree. That's absolutely what Ron's doing at night. In my head, it's mostly one-on-ones, but sometimes it's like those Masters of Horror dinners that Mick Garris used to hold, but with horror authors over Zoom. Our imaginary life for Ron is pretty good, I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post

I'm sure this was probably some sort of event that Tremblay was doing, but I can't get the image out of my head of Ron just spending his evenings chilling on Zoom hangouts with horror authors!
    I agree. That's absolutely what Ron's doing at night. In my head, it's mostly one-on-ones, but sometimes it's like those Masters of Horror dinners that Mick Garris used to hold, but with horror authors over Zoom. Our imaginary life for Ron is pretty good, I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

No worries, I know *exactly* what you mean. I suspect we’re not the only two around here who would.
    That's why this place is the best!

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    I also personally confirmed with Tremblay last night over Zoom that SST will indeed be doing a limited of it.
    I'm sure this was probably some sort of event that Tremblay was doing, but I can't get the image out of my head of Ron just spending his evenings chilling on Zoom hangouts with horror authors!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

True, but for me, the complete inconsistency would somehow make it okay. Almost by discarding the notion of uniformity in its entirety allows the mismatched set to somehow feel complete. While on the other hand, my set would be so close to matching that the number deviation feels more severe. I can't explain why my collector's brain processes it that way, but it does.
    No worries, I know *exactly* what you mean. I suspect we’re not the only two around here who would.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

It could be worse… I don’t even have the SST editions of either DEVIL ROCK or CABIN (just signed trade 1st HCs) and of course none of my SST books have matching numbers, so it’s a bit of an inconsistent mess.
    True, but for me, the complete inconsistency would somehow make it okay. Almost by discarding the notion of uniformity in its entirety allows the mismatched set to somehow feel complete. While on the other hand, my set would be so close to matching that the number deviation feels more severe. I can't explain why my collector's brain processes it that way, but it does.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    This was an easy decision for me. I pulled the trigger quickly. There was a lot of buzz around this book when it was first announced so it was on my radar anyways. I might have passed if this was a $135+ Suntup offering, but at SST's super-affordable price point, it was a done deal.

I am kicking myself now that I'm hearing we're getting another Tremblay from SST. I've been getting matching numbers through Camelot, but once we got to the "Sleep" books, I passed as I already had the Thunderstorm editions and just don't like to do multiple editions of books. Now, I that their doing another I might be able to snag a copy, but it won't be my number...
    It could be worse… I don’t even have the SST editions of either DEVIL ROCK or CABIN (just signed trade 1st HCs) and of course none of my SST books have matching numbers, so it’s a bit of an inconsistent mess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X