Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bsaenz24
    replied
    Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    To me, it was worth it just to get a hardcover book that is signed by him for less than $20 but it's a real shame the book itself isn't better.

(I haven't read it and it's highly unlikely that I ever will given the reviews I've seen.)
    The sig is the only reason I will keep my copy now and that's barely enough.

Leave a comment:

• Marmaduke Grigsby
    replied
    To me, it was worth it just to get a hardcover book that is signed by him for less than $20 but it's a real shame the book itself isn't better.

(I haven't read it and it's highly unlikely that I ever will given the reviews I've seen.)

Leave a comment:

• bsaenz24
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    GAH that sucks. I never got around to reading it and I think your review may be the final coffin nail. There's no way that these reviews are a matter of opinion. Not when it's universal and uniform. It's actually beyond subjective at this point. And that's so sad.
    It really was a crappy book all around. I had to push myself to get through it and I loved Silence and Red Dragon. It truly felt like someone else must have written it. It felt like a heavily detailed screenplay, but a very shallow detailed novel. You didn't care about a single character. The only person I felt bad for was myself because I bought it.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Started reading it tonight, and an hour or two and 50-something pages later, I’m throwing in the towel. Turns out all the bad reviews that I ignored until I could pass my own judgement on it were, in fact, right on the money. It’s so bad, so poorly written that I find it stupefying that it came from the pen of Thomas Harris. There are so many issues ranging from characterization to plot to pacing to even simple grammatical errors that I wouldn’t even know where to begin explaining the ways in which this book is a train-wreck...of course, the more pointed question is, Why? Why is this new creation of Harris’ so poor compared to what had come before? I’ve never read anything so disappointing, so shockingly, unexpectedly mediocre versus what was expected...and “mediocre” is putting it kindly.
    GAH that sucks. I never got around to reading it and I think your review may be the final coffin nail. There's no way that these reviews are a matter of opinion. Not when it's universal and uniform. It's actually beyond subjective at this point. And that's so sad.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Started reading it tonight, and an hour or two and 50-something pages later, I’m throwing in the towel. Turns out all the bad reviews that I ignored until I could pass my own judgement on it were, in fact, right on the money. It’s so bad, so poorly written that I find it stupefying that it came from the pen of Thomas Harris. There are so many issues ranging from characterization to plot to pacing to even simple grammatical errors that I wouldn’t even know where to begin explaining the ways in which this book is a train-wreck...of course, the more pointed question is, Why? Why is this new creation of Harris’ so poor compared to what had come before? I’ve never read anything so disappointing, so shockingly, unexpectedly mediocre versus what was expected...and “mediocre” is putting it kindly.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 08-27-2019, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Just for clarification. Would the professional help be to assist in destroying multiple books or to control your desire to destroy said books?
    Both, you know me well, Martin. I'll put the scissors down now.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I didn't get an owl, but it tickles me to know that these are floating around out there. Adding those little sketches to some copies was a nice touch, especially when you consider how many of those sheets he may have signed. As I said earlier in the thread, Mr. Harris seems like a good guy.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    It happens a lot, in my experience; this is how publishers typically release signed trade HCs. Those special signed editions that B&N release on Black Friday, for instance, are examples of the practice. The problem, of course, is not knowing how many copies were released as such. As near as I can tell, whenever this is done, it's done in rather liberal numbers...even the Harris volume seems available in multitude, which is pretty surprising, given his past reluctance for promotion and signing.
    In my experience they usually contain a statement to the effect of this is a signed edition from the publisher.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.
    It happens a lot, in my experience; this is how publishers typically release signed trade HCs. Those special signed editions that B&N release on Black Friday, for instance, are examples of the practice. The problem, of course, is not knowing how many copies were released as such. As near as I can tell, whenever this is done, it's done in rather liberal numbers...even the Harris volume seems available in multitude, which is pretty surprising, given his past reluctance for promotion and signing.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting thoughts here. My extra copy showed up with no damn bird, Sigh. So I'm ripping it apart, pasting it in my Easton Press or Sub Press edition.

J/K, if I were to do something like that, I would definitely seek professional help.
    Just for clarification. Would the professional help be to assist in destroying multiple books or to control your desire to destroy said books?

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.
    There was a paperback that King signed on a blank page like that and someone rebound them into hardcover leather editions. It was a short story collection I believe. Does anyone know of what I speak?

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting thoughts here. My extra copy showed up with no damn bird, Sigh. So I'm ripping it apart, pasting it in my Easton Press or Sub Press edition.

J/K, if I were to do something like that, I would definitely seek professional help.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    At least you'll have a boring story to read! Then you can tear out the signature page and glue it into Red Dragon.
    SACRILEGE!

Plus, ahem, my 1st HC of RED DRAGON is already signed...but still: SACRILEGE!

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    ...aaaannd no birdie. Ah well.
    At least you'll have a boring story to read! Then you can tear out the signature page and glue it into Red Dragon.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Picking up my held mail (from the Ireland trip posted about elsewhere here) from the Post Office today...hope mine has the remarque!
    ...aaaannd no birdie. Ah well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X